DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Shot down by Mapex :(

Sticks there is no better ambassador for Mapex than you. They should think twice before they let you down -)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:08 PM
audiotech

It will be interesting to find out how this situation plays out. I have a friend that own a Saturn kit in "root beer burst" that's looking to buy a 22" x 14" bass drum with tom mount in the matching finish, so far he hasn't had much luck acquiring one. There are probably hundreds of people who own Saturn drums around the world that would like Mapex to "bend" a little for them.

Dennis
Old 01-20-2012, 03:38 PM

In the event that this thread makes its way to Mapex.....allow me to say something direct to Mapex please....

Dear Sir/Madam,

As you may have seen, one of your most loyal, non-endorser customers has expressed some dissatisfaction and personal hurt that you have neglected to consider his request for a custom tom.

In all my years, I have never come across a customer who shows so much passion toward not only his craft but a brand.

With the current economic crunch which is occurring across the world at present, please remember that it is us, the non-endorsee and the hard working gigging drummer who makes up a huge percentage of your market.

Many of us get up early in the morning, work for long hours and save as hard as possible in order to "feed" our passion and continue to create and develope ourselves into masters of our craft.

This gentleman who you have refused to help may one day, be the very customer who keeps your company out of recievership...please just remember that.

With the worlds' current level of poor humanity...it would be nice to see a big company help the "little guy"...just this once.

That is all, bless you Mapex for bringing so much joy to a lage group of drummers.

Sincerely, Ben (drumkat)...Australia.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Glen, you gave up too early. If you didn't get satisfaction with who you were dealing with, why didn't you get his boss? Then that person's boss, until you get the Prez, if necessary.

I would say something like, I'm sorry that is unacceptable. If that is your only response, then I need to talk to your supervisor and tell them how unacceptable this situation has become.

Did you do this?

Sure you could do a workaround and get a drum made a number of different ways, but that's not the point. The point is they should build you one if you are hiring them to do so..
Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Glen, you gave up too early. If you didn't get satisfaction with who you were dealing with, why didn't you get his boss? Then that person's boss, until you get the Prez, if necessary.

I would say something like, I'm sorry that is unacceptable. If that is your only response, then I need to talk to your supervisor and tell them how unacceptable this situation has become.

Did you do this?

Sure you could do a workaround and get a drum made a number of different ways, but that's not the point. The point is they should build you one if you are hiring them to do so..
Let me just say this Larry. Most everyone knows me at Mapex in one way or another. You know me. I get my voice heard. That is why this was such a surprise to me. :)
Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

OK Sticks but let me ask you this? Did you get mad? People usually go above and beyond to quiet down someone who is visibly agitated. You need to get really mad and go on the offensive here. You have nothing to lose by yelling and screaming. Call them out one by one. Forget being nice.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Sticks, I don't know of a single customer that promotes Mapex like you do. Heck, I don't know *anyone* that promotes Mapex like you do.

In case Mapex ever reads this, I never even thought of buying Mapex until reading 273 threads started by Sticks4drums on how great he thinks Mapex is. From his considerable insistence he has brought me to strongly consider buying some limited edition Saturns (I even called to get quotes from more than one dealer).

I find it disheartening that Mr. Mapex, as I think of Glen, is getting shutdown on a drum that is made in a different finish. It really makes me wonder if this is the kind of customer service I'd want to enter into by buying their kit.

I disagree with those that don't think there is anything wrong with Mapex's decision. Sticks isn't a normal customer. I'm not sure how anyone could think he is. As it has already been mentioned, this would be *great* advertising if they came through and hooked him up.

And I also agree with Larry and others that sticks has to go further with this. Didn't you learn from my thread on DW, Glen? Move up the chain. That way you'll either get the service you seek or you'll realize that Mapex is not as accommodating as you would like.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

More hot Mapex news:

"Here it is gang: MyDentity...the new custom drum series from Mapex. Available in the U.S. beginning in March!"

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf

Will be interesting to see where this leads and whether the shell you want will be an option.

Dammit that logo is ugly. I don't mind the 'Mapex' part, but the obese M behind it is hideous.

(Sticks - The contact details for their marketing dude are on this page if you need them, though I assume you probably already have them but thought I'd post it anyway :) http://www.centerstagem.com/forum/pa...mmer-of-t-r155)

Last edited by kettles; 01-20-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
More hot Mapex news:

"Here it is gang: MyDentity...the new custom drum series from Mapex. Available in the U.S. beginning in March!"

Will be interesting to see where this leads and whether the shell you want will be an option.

Dammit that logo is ugly. I don't mind the 'Mapex' part, but the obese M behind it is hideous.
That explains those absolutely horrendous finishes they had. I don't think I'll ever quite get over those.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM
sticks4drums

Now did I say anything mean on the Sonor thread. I am going there right now to diss their finishes! :)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
More hot Mapex news:

(Sticks - The contact details for their marketing dude are on this page if you need them, though I assume you probably already have them but thought I'd post it anyway :) http://www.centerstagem.com/forum/pa...mmer-of-t-r155)
Kettles baby. We saw these drums a week ago. Where have you been hiding buddy?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I think the general consensus was that they are horrendous. I believe this is a thread about Mapex.

If you've actually read any of my posts, you'll know that I'm not down on Mapex at all. I just strongly dislike their example drums there.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think the general consensus was that they are horrendous. I believe this is a thread about Mapex.

If you've actually read any of my posts, you'll know that I'm not down on Mapex at all. I just strongly dislike their example drums there.
I'm just teasing you! Hello! having fun here. Come on! :)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post

Yea, they're all pretty horrible looking. But that one actual example KIT in the new photo isn't bad looking... I'm still not crazy about non-chrome hardware... But that looks like zinc/gun-metal-grey which is OK...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
OK Sticks but let me ask you this? Did you get mad? People usually go above and beyond to quiet down someone who is visibly agitated. You need to get really mad and go on the offensive here. You have nothing to lose by yelling and screaming. Call them out one by one. Forget being nice.
indeed! when in doubt refer to network:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q
Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Kettles baby. We saw these drums a week ago. Where have you been hiding buddy?
I know you've seen them. But the custom thing is new right? I certainly haven't seen it anywhere else on the forum. That was my point. If they're starting custom drums then surely they'll make you a tom.

And I've been on holiday, and trying to enjoy summer (it's summer here now) even though it's the worst summer we've had in donkeys years. Also been spending a lot less time on my computer and actually doing things, which has been great. And I will change my picture from the Focus guy when I find something funnier ;)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
indeed! when in doubt refer to network:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q
That very well known line. I spent most of my life doing it the screaming mad method. I am trying to be more diplomatic this time. :)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
I know you've seen them. But the custom thing is new right? I certainly haven't seen it anywhere else on the forum. That was my point. If they're starting custom drums then surely they'll make you a tom.

And I've been on holiday, and trying to enjoy summer (it's summer here now) even though it's the worst summer we've had in donkeys years. Also been spending a lot less time on my computer and actually doing things, which has been great. And I will change my picture from the Focus guy when I find something funnier ;)
Hey buddy. If you could change it that would be great. I don't find it funny, I find it scary. :( Summer? That sounds nice. Wish it would be that here. Soon enough I guess.

The Mydentity thing is just what you see in the picture. They have Birch and maple shells to choose from. All those finishes, and the lugs and hardware colours that you see there. You mix and match out of all that to come up with your own identifiable kit. They will have set sizes of snares, toms, floor toms, and bass drums to pic from.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Noooooo!!! Thats like the best user-pic here on DW :(
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That very well known line. I spent most of my life doing it the screaming mad method. I am trying to be more diplomatic this time. :)
hehe :D it is one of my favourite films of all time :)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
Noooooo!!! Thats like the best user-pic here on DW :(
Your not helping! :/
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Surely you understand the context Sticks? If not, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q

Best musical performance in history as far as I care.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Surely you understand the context Sticks? If not, watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q

I watched it back a month ago when you posted it. The performance was fine, but you captured him right at his freakiest, whistling moment!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 PM

That sucks.... although I probably wouldn't get to devoted a to a big brand name like Mapex. When you're dealing with smaller companies (like Saluda cymbals) it's good to be company loyal, but the mass production companies are too big to know their entire companies morals.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

That is freakin amazing. This is like mike patton's dad but even more gifted! Flute, whistling...range of vocals. just wow...thanks for sharing and I had no idea that was where you got your avatar from. I'm going to be sending that on to a few people just now.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

I have nothing against Mapex drums - my teacher endorses them, and they sound nice. But they need a new marketing dept. - I don't know what's worse - "My Dentity" or that new logo. Wow, not the classiest choices... :(
Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder if the M logo is just for that "line" of drums... Not a fan of it, but I like the Black Panther logo. Small, modern-ish looking, without looking too stylized and silly/stupid.

Other companies do special orders, and usually you have to pay a pretty good up-charge (but if you want it, you want it).
Strange how Mapex say's No, even though they make that size, and it's just a paint job.

Possibly because it was a different shell (birch/walnut vs. maple/walnut) and it was a limited edition?
They could just really NOT want anything that "wasn't offered" out there.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Silver Member

My Dentity ?

First thought = dentist = negative feelings for most people.

I am predicting short shelf life.

Perhaps Mapex' marketing department is having an iDentity crisis.

thx

jorn
Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

What boggles my mind is that here they are (Mapex) showing us all these different finishes and wraps and hoop colors and coatings and this and that, yet they cannot produce an special order 8" drum in a custom color that they mass produced in their pro line?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

When I heard of the name for the custom drum line, only one thing came to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8bRciuMLqQ
Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Sticks, did you try to get to Mapex through centerstagem?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I actually work with Thijs van Leer's (The keyboard player) stepson. Free Focus tickets, I hope!!!

Sorry for the hijack....
Old 01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Sticks, did you try to get to Mapex through centerstagem?
Same route that they would go. They have done stuff like this in the past, but apparently they are trying to adopt the "If we don't SKU it, then we aren't making it" approach. Which makes perfect sense as far as the bottom dollar goes, but I still think a company with a heartbeat, needs to make the odd exception, to the rule. I guess I am not exceptional enough. :)
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelius View Post
But they need a new marketing dept.:(
Why bother, they already have a free one right here ;)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Why bother, they already have a free one right here ;)
Well I am up for hire! :)
Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I was not going to say anything, and let everyone have their rant. I did not intend this to be about countries or nationalities. Just about how we are treated as customers. They will make no accommodations for anyone, which is what I am seeing with Mapex, or they make some for special cases. Not really sure which is right. A big reason why their pricing is so good,is because they have a set line up with set sku's that they can pump out, in large quantities. If they had all sorts of special orders, I am sure the price would jump up like a DW.
Great point to make Sticks. I think we all now that while DW (and Yamaha not too far behind them) are great sounding drums and a quality product, they are ridiculously overpriced. Both have a reputtaion to maintain within the industry and their ball-breaking price point helps them maintain that prestige. That being said, if I had 20 Grand to blow I'd still be rocking an 8 piece Yamaha PHX kit, and become an elitist snob. LOL Still love my Meridian Maples though.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I think brand loyalty meant something before everything was made in China and Taiwan. At least Sabians are still made in Canada, right? I'm going to build my own pro kit with American made drum shells, and it will be made in the USA (maybe not the lugs).
Just get you a nice set of pork pies ;) the owner Bill Detamore is hands on with every kit, and their seal even states "Made by an American"
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Funnily enough, I was reading another drumming website recently, and good old Sticks, Mr Mapex himself was discussing a new Gretsch he had just bought, so maybe the Mapex love affair is over!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM
saturnrules

you should have talked to the customer service rep in canada. they'll get it done
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrules View Post
you should have talked to the customer service rep in canada. they'll get it done
lol

"saturnrules" from Canada.

Is this Sticksinbums?