DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 AM

Default How do I find groups to jam with??

I've been playing drums off and on for the past 3 years and the one thing that I think impedes my ability to get better is being able to play with other musicians. Problem is my skills as a drummer are nowhere near competent, but my drum teacher keeps telling me to find a group to jam with. Well how in the hell am I supposed to find a group that would be down to play with my (current) shitty skills? Currently I'm at a point where I feel like I'll never find a group to play with and practicing drums(rudiments) by myself is by far the most boring thing in the world. I also live in the suburbs making finding someone close by to play with even harder.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: How do I find groups to jam with??

If you are a student, join band/find other students who play instruments and ask.

Look for info about "community bands" (for instance there is the Eden Prairie Jazz Band made up of residents of the town).

Go to bars that do open mics and talk to the people playing. Make nice to them and see if they are up to jams sessions for fun.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 AM
nhzoso

Post ad on craigslist, go on bandmix and make a profile it's free. I did after playing for 6 months and started playing with a bass player which eventually led into the band I am currently in.

Just be honest and put in the ads that you been playing for a year and want to start playing with other muso's. trust me they are out there.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
If you are a student, join band/find other students who play instruments and ask.

Look for info about "community bands" (for instance there is the Eden Prairie Jazz Band made up of residents of the town).

Go to bars that do open mics and talk to the people playing. Make nice to them and see if they are up to jams sessions for fun.
I think my main problem is that I assume everyone is way above my skill level to even consider trying to ask them anything about jamming. I go to yorku (in toronto) where they have a huge fine arts program, so most of the students that I've seen so far are pretty high up there in terms of skills.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Post ad on craigslist, go on bandmix and make a profile it's free. I did after playing for 6 months and started playing with a bass player which eventually led into the band I am currently in.

Just be honest and put in the ads that you been playing for a year and want to start playing with other muso's. trust me they are out there.
Same here, been pretty lucky on Craigslist so far
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

I did the same thing on Craigslist, met a guy of similar age. Very skilled player, we had a great two hour jam in the "Woodhsed". Very nice guy, very gracious.

I am in the same boat, I want to play out with other musicians and the biggest impediment is playing with other musicians.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 AM

Made a profile on bandmix, but I seem to have the exact same problem in real life. Everyone that bandmix has found that's looking for a drummer want an experienced drummer. Unless there's something I'm doing wrong.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM

http://www.whosdoing.com/music just kicked off but they're growing quick. I'm impressed with the sites function and it says it'll always be free.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemic View Post
I've been playing drums off and on for the past 3 years and the one thing that I think impedes my ability to get better is being able to play with other musicians. Problem is my skills as a drummer are nowhere near competent, but my drum teacher keeps telling me to find a group to jam with. Well how in the hell am I supposed to find a group that would be down to play with my (current) shitty skills? Currently I'm at a point where I feel like I'll never find a group to play with and practicing drums(rudiments) by myself is by far the most boring thing in the world. I also live in the suburbs making finding someone close by to play with even harder.
You can bet the guitar and bass teachers in town tell their students the same thing. So why not make a few phonecalls to those tutors (or better still get your drum teacher to do it) asking if they have any students looking to join a new band and try to get a band together that is roughly matched in experience and level.

It is a start. A couple of years of that and you can then start looking round to play with guys more experienced than you.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Post ad on craigslist, go on bandmix and make a profile it's free.

I to have had good results with sites like Craigslist. There are others that feel exactly the way you do. They are probably looking for you to. Besides, everybody has to deal with this issue. Even the pros. For instance, have you ever seen someone like Flea and Dave Weckle share the stage? It would be cool, but I can't really see it happening. It's not just about skill level. The music sceen is very politcal. If it wasn't, Ray Charles, Steve Ray Vaughan, Jeff Porcaro, and Jaco Pastorious would definitly have had their own band at some point : )

It's all about finding your kind of people, and growing together.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Songs View Post
You can bet the guitar and bass teachers in town tell their students the same thing. So why not make a few phonecalls to those tutors (or better still get your drum teacher to do it) asking if they have any students looking to join a new band and try to get a band together that is roughly matched in experience and level.

It is a start. A couple of years of that and you can then start looking round to play with guys more experienced than you.
This is the second time I have heard this, talk to a bass teacher, they seem most likely to have a student who wants to play with a drummer.

I have made a couple of friends through Craigslist, all guitar players. Great players all of them but without a bass, it's harder to groover since I am still a novice. I have yet to find a bass player which seems odd.

I even went out and found a cheap bass and I just leave in my practice space in case somebody "could" or "would be willing" to pick it up. So far the exterminator was the grooviest player yet. He only had a few minutes and then had to carry on killing cockroaches.