DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #81  
Old 12-25-2010, 11:45 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,427
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Okay, I see what you mean. I was thinking more of his earlier stuff. He definitely an original approach.
Looking back, I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. Sorry for the confusion.

But still, he's an interesting topic. Not a guy many drummers talk about. As you said, definitely an original approach.

I was never a huge INXS fan, but "Don't Change" has always been a favorite pop tune. I did have Kick on tape when it was new. I used to put on first thing in the morning to "kick" start my day. hehe. A couple of years ago, my wife and I went back and picked up a bunch of their stuff on CD.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 AM
EARTHSHAKER's Avatar
EARTHSHAKER EARTHSHAKER is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

- Terry BOZZIO
- Tim ALEXANDER
- Mark ZONDER
- Bill BRUFORD
- John MACALUSO
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Most Everywhere
Posts: 1,915
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
UFF, you're probably right about Chicago. When they took out the jazzy and edgy bits they poured out the beer and only offered up froth. I don't think losing the personality of Danny's drumming helped either.
I actually think the fall of that band artistically was a lot earlier than some say.

IMO---The first 3 Chicago albums were as good as anything that ever went down in rock. I remember when I was 10 or so going into my old man's LP collection and finding Chicago Transist Authority with Introduction, Beginnings, Questions 67 and 68. That band was great and because of guitarist Terry Kath, sounded more like a rock band as opposed to Blood Sweat and Tears' polished horn section and more careful sound...although I thought David Clayton Thomas was an amazing singer and I liked Seraphine and Columby just about equally.

Then I think it went downhill. That Carnegie Hall set was lousy and sloppy, then Chicago V had that awful Saturday in the Park song which I think more than anything else turned those guys into a beach band. But I have the first 3 albums and will always keep them. Seraphine sounds great on them. I always thought that when Buddy Rich was trying rock he was thinking in Seraphine terms, which is funny seeing as how Seraphine had actually adapted the Rich style to fit to a rock format. I always thought that whole thing was pretty ironic.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:40 AM
0neyellowdrum's Avatar
0neyellowdrum 0neyellowdrum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 172
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
I actually think the fall of that band artistically was a lot earlier than some say.

IMO---The first 3 Chicago albums were as good as anything that ever went down in rock. I remember when I was 10 or so going into my old man's LP collection and finding Chicago Transist Authority with Introduction, Beginnings, Questions 67 and 68. That band was great and because of guitarist Terry Kath, sounded more like a rock band as opposed to Blood Sweat and Tears' polished horn section and more careful sound...although I thought David Clayton Thomas was an amazing singer and I liked Seraphine and Columby just about equally.

Then I think it went downhill. That Carnegie Hall set was lousy and sloppy, then Chicago V had that awful Saturday in the Park song which I think more than anything else turned those guys into a beach band. But I have the first 3 albums and will always keep them. Seraphine sounds great on them. I always thought that when Buddy Rich was trying rock he was thinking in Seraphine terms, which is funny seeing as how Seraphine had actually adapted the Rich style to fit to a rock format. I always thought that whole thing was pretty ironic.
I have a school friend, Marc Bonilla, who plays with Danny and CTA. Marc also plays and tours with Keith Emerson. There are more vids on Marc's webspage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPkzb_3rWA

http://marcbonilla.com
__________________
"The more I practice the luckier I get!"
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
But still, he's an interesting topic. Not a guy many drummers talk about. As you said, definitely an original approach.
Yep. I guess part of it's because he Australian (ie. barely exists in the northern hemisphere).

I'm enjoying this chat. It's one thing to mention a drummer/drummers, another to talk about their angle. For instance, I mention Bill Bruford as an influence. Do I sound remotely like him? I wish. But many of the drum parts I worked out when I was young wouldn't have been the same if not for him (I don't get a chance to be kooky in my current band). He showed me about the idea of displacing backbeats and to try looking past the first, most obvious idea that comes to you.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
I actually think the fall of that band artistically was a lot earlier than some say.

IMO---The first 3 Chicago albums were as good as anything that ever went down in rock. I remember when I was 10 or so going into my old man's LP collection and finding Chicago Transist Authority with Introduction, Beginnings, Questions 67 and 68. That band was great and because of guitarist Terry Kath, sounded more like a rock band
Agree. Questions and Beginnings are the ones that did it for me too. Losing Terry Kath in the late 70s was a huge blow. At times the Terry / Danny dynamic reminded me of the Jimi / Mitch combo. The rock edge worked great with the brash horns - quite unique. BB&S were another with awesome raves in the middle of songs.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,427
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Yep. I guess part of it's because he Australian (ie. barely exists in the northern hemisphere).

I'm enjoying this chat. It's one thing to mention a drummer/drummers, another to talk about their angle. For instance, I mention Bill Bruford as an influence. Do I sound remotely like him? I wish. But many of the drum parts I worked out when I was young wouldn't have been the same if not for him (I don't get a chance to be kooky in my current band). He showed me about the idea of displacing backbeats and to try looking past the first, most obvious idea that comes to you.
I don't think being Australian has anything to do with it.

INXS were major stars here. I know plenty of (non-drummers) people who worship the band. They were major MTV stars during MTV's hey-day.

But as I said, the thought of "I need to impress other drummers" never crossed his mind, and so, most drummers weren't impressed (for lack of a better term).

Also, they tend to be lumped in as part of the 80's New Wave scene, which most people associated with synths and drum machines. And thus, I think, a lot of people tend to over look the drummers who were involved in those bands. The Cars were a huge band, USA based (Boston to be exact), and yet, how many drummer can name their stick man off the top of their head? Although Jon was (in my opinion) more creative.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-26-2010, 02:45 AM
Fishbones's Avatar
Fishbones Fishbones is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 857
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

1. stanton moore
2. john bonham
3. steve gadd
4. max roach
5. steve jordan

groooove
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,740
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

1.) Manu Katche
2.) Phil Gould - Level 42
3.) Vinnie Colaiuta
4.) Steve Gadd/Jeff Porcarro
5.) Steve Smith/Gregg Bisonette

I am starting to study Gregg Bisonette more closely as I am hooked on the David Lee Roth song "Elephant Gun". I use this disc to shut up all of the young guitar players who think that their crap doesn't stink. It usually begins with listening to Yankee Rose, which they immediately turn their nose up at. Then........."Shy Boy" comes on and the hands reach for the repeat button. Shy Boy was a hit song..........it would not be today. I took a lesson with Gregg and told him how much that disc meant to me. He's a great guy and much more humble thn most will ever know!


Hope this helps

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Losing Terry Kath in the late 70s was a huge blow.
No question. Kath's vocals alone were worth the price of admission.

Re: Jon Fariss, I remember reading an interview in Modern Drummer back when INXS was at its commercial peak. I think he asked the interviewer, "Are you sure drummers are going to want to read about me?" or something like that. One of those cats who only played to serve the music, and did so very well. I didn't necessarily appreciate that type of thing 23 years ago, but I figured it out eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Okay DED, bad example. There have been some fine Aussie drummers who haven't been on the radar because they're too far away from the action but INXS were did do well overseas. Yes, it seems that he got what he wished for - non-adulation by drummers - but that hardly matters if the music is happening.

Steve Gadd always gets mentions on these pages and is one who does receive well-deserved adulation ... just saw this clip of him playing bop in a wow manner ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsz3mrnIBd0

8Mile, what songs did TK sing?
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-26-2010, 05:38 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post

8Mile, what songs did TK sing?
Make Me Smile (probably my favorite Chicago tune) and Colour My World, to name a couple. He just had such a raw soulfulness.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
gf2564
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
I actually think the fall of that band artistically was a lot earlier than some say.

IMO---The first 3 Chicago albums were as good as anything that ever went down in rock. I remember when I was 10 or so going into my old man's LP collection and finding Chicago Transist Authority with Introduction, Beginnings, Questions 67 and 68. That band was great and because of guitarist Terry Kath, sounded more like a rock band as opposed to Blood Sweat and Tears' polished horn section and more careful sound...although I thought David Clayton Thomas was an amazing singer and I liked Seraphine and Columby just about equally.

Then I think it went downhill. That Carnegie Hall set was lousy and sloppy, then Chicago V had that awful Saturday in the Park song which I think more than anything else turned those guys into a beach band. But I have the first 3 albums and will always keep them. Seraphine sounds great on them. I always thought that when Buddy Rich was trying rock he was thinking in Seraphine terms, which is funny seeing as how Seraphine had actually adapted the Rich style to fit to a rock format. I always thought that whole thing was pretty ironic.
Matt, I agree that Carnegie Hall was a terrible recording and included some very sloopy play from everyone. I guess we could debate as to how much of this was a function of the technology at the time (or lack there of), the producers (I've heard from some band members of recording people making "adjustments" right up on stage, in the truck, etc., without any rhyme or reason; could be "their story/excuse"), fatigue (Chicago toured excessively for many years, especially in the beginning), and/or the "chemicals" that were readily available during those times.
Having said all this, there are some incredible performances on that four album recording! Seraphine's playing, in particular, was smoking pretty much throughout. Kath had some great moments on there, as well. I think it also showed what a skilled bass player Cetera was. (before he became known as the sappy ballad singer!)
Some people say the "new" remastered Carnegie Hall that came out a few years back was a tremendous improvement; I am not sure I agree with that. Maybe it's because I'm old school (and just plain old!) and prefer live music, but that recording is still one of my favorite recordings. Warts and all, It does show the raw, creative talent this band once was as opposed to what they became (and most people think of when Chicago is mentioned) at the end of the '70's and beyond.
While Chicago V marked a distinct move to become more commercially viable, I thought it and the next two albums had some very good music on them. Chicago VII probably was the album that showed how diverse their playing and song writing was. Many different genres of music and chances for individual talents to shine.
Sorry to hijack the tread; I will retreat back to lurker mode. I do appreciate your thoughts and insights Matt! (and those of others, as well)
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Make Me Smile (probably my favorite Chicago tune) and Colour My World, to name a couple. He just had such a raw soulfulness.
Oh right. Ta. He's the one who sang It Better End Soon, which was one of my faves.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 AM
mrh mrh is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 32
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

In no particular order:

Chad Smith
Carter Beauford
Steve Jordan
Jason McGerr
Jose Pasillas
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-27-2010, 01:35 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Most Everywhere
Posts: 1,915
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2564 View Post
Matt, I agree that Carnegie Hall was a terrible recording and included some very sloopy play from everyone. I guess we could debate as to how much of this was a function of the technology at the time (or lack there of), the producers (I've heard from some band members of recording people making "adjustments" right up on stage, in the truck, etc., without any rhyme or reason; could be "their story/excuse"), fatigue (Chicago toured excessively for many years, especially in the beginning), and/or the "chemicals" that were readily available during those times.
Having said all this, there are some incredible performances on that four album recording! Seraphine's playing, in particular, was smoking pretty much throughout. Kath had some great moments on there, as well. I think it also showed what a skilled bass player Cetera was. (before he became known as the sappy ballad singer!)
Some people say the "new" remastered Carnegie Hall that came out a few years back was a tremendous improvement; I am not sure I agree with that. Maybe it's because I'm old school (and just plain old!) and prefer live music, but that recording is still one of my favorite recordings. Warts and all, It does show the raw, creative talent this band once was as opposed to what they became (and most people think of when Chicago is mentioned) at the end of the '70's and beyond.
While Chicago V marked a distinct move to become more commercially viable, I thought it and the next two albums had some very good music on them. Chicago VII probably was the album that showed how diverse their playing and song writing was. Many different genres of music and chances for individual talents to shine.
Sorry to hijack the tread; I will retreat back to lurker mode. I do appreciate your thoughts and insights Matt! (and those of others, as well)
re: Carnegie Hall---I agree that Seraphine was really good on the whole thing and many of the other points you made. But I think by the time this box set came out, the genre these guys helped create had evolved to an entirely higher level performance wise, especially when BS&T, Tower of Power and Chase were using famous world class studio horn players who were performing both creatively and cleanly with uniformly consistent performances even with all the drugs.

And as great as the Chicago horn line was /and still is/ they've never been those kinds of players. Trumpeter Lee Loughnane is central to this point. Back then he was a solid player, but it would be unfair to compare him to a first call NYC studio player like BS&T's Lew Soloff or an immortal lead trumpet player like Bill Chase. The same can be said for Parazader who may have been a gifted classical clarinetist but still would never get anyone to forget Fred Lipsius /BS&T/ or Lennie Pickett /Tower of Power/ as a saxophonist. It's also cool how youtube gives you a chance to compare the live shows of all those late 60s early 70s bands. I think when you do that, the results are clear. Now as rhythm sections go I always liked Chicago more. For my money Kath always sounded great while Cetera was an underrated bass player. And yeah in those early days Seraphine especially, was a beast.

Chicago V-7---I agree there was some good music on those recordings with the emphasis being on some. On the first three everything was good. I just think that with Saturday in the Park, they jumped the shark and the whole thing was never the same musically.

Yeah, you're right this Chicago secondary discussion was a minor derail, but an interesting one that I don't think really hurt anything.
__________________
I endorse Zildjian sticks because I like them.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
Now as rhythm sections go I always liked Chicago more. For my money Kath always sounded great while Cetera was an underrated bass player. And yeah in those early days Seraphine especially, was a beast.
I always liked Bobby Colomby too and found his feel jazzy feel pretty similar to Danny S's, tho' early Chicago seemed to give Danny more chance to open up. I think of Chicago in a similar way to how I see The Tubes - their early albums were brilliant (with a class drummer in Prairie Prince) but later on they played sooky and bland commercial music - and made some real money. Ai ai ai!
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-27-2010, 03:31 AM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 809
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
UFF, you're probably right about Chicago. When they took out the jazzy and edgy bits they poured out the beer and only offered up froth. I don't think losing the personality of Danny's drumming helped either.

But I can't find the "ba-doomp" lick you're referring to in those links. Can you help out an old lady and give me the times when it's done? :)

DED, I always thought Jon played those things as one track rather than overdubbed. It's all do-able (which of course doesn't mean it was done :). But yeah, some of the quirks that really made the song for me were missing live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_yeVpAVDXs). That ultra-staccato sound in the studio is very unforgiving - your timing has to be spot on (eg. I Send A Message). Michael Urbano was perhaps one of the best drummers of the 80s bands. Tight as a fish's behind but he was never an influence on me.

80s drumming is the style that caused me to quit playing - having to play fat monster backbeats super-clean and to strip out so much of the ghosting and little musical interactions that I pretty well live for when I play. I never played more tightly than I did back then - every note was scripted - and I never found drumming to be such a chore. Once I realised I couldn't "make it" and avoid the dreaded normal 9-to-5 existence and all the family crap there was nothing to hold me.

I consider myself a 60s/70s kind of drummer influenced by people of those times, so every time I play someone a track of my old bands and someone says it sounds 80s I die a little lol
in the MSFB song, the Ba-Dooomp is playing in the ride out starting at 4:50. it is also played on the previous sections at/ or after about 1:50 2:50 and 3:50. i´m not sure if that is the C section of the song, but alot of the song´s solos are played over that section. 1-2-3-4 Ba-Dooomp-2-3-4. MFSB were the house band of Philadelphia International Records.

the same lick is added for emphasis in the INXS song ¨Burn For You¨.

regarding playing overdubs as one part...that´s how we get better. i didn´t know that there are two guitar parts on the intro lick of America´s ¨Ventura Highway¨. i always thought that it was one guitar (and played it that way) til i heard it in stereo one day. one guitar was panned hard left and the other was panned hard right. THEY WERE ACTUALLY PLAYING DUAL HARMONIES !!!!!!!!! when i was growing up, there were no synthesizers or keyboards in local bands, so i had to cover the lead and rhythm guitar parts plus whatever keyboard lines were important to the groove AND whatever incidental fills and farts and bells and whistles might be an integral part of the presentation. i can play the Black Crow´s ¨Twice As Hard¨ with one guitar (3 Parts) as well as Alice In Chains´ ¨Damn That River¨ (also 3 Parts).

regarding Tim Farris live....i was looking through some ¨Don´t Change¨ clips just last week and it doesn´t even sound like the same drummer that´s on the recording. in fact, it seemed that of the 3 or 4 clips i listened to, there were two distictly different drummers even on those live clips...neither of whom sounded like the studio recording.

Last edited by unfunkyfooted; 12-27-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 AM
gf2564
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
re: Carnegie Hall---I agree that Seraphine was really good on the whole thing and many of the other points you made. But I think by the time this box set came out, the genre these guys helped create had evolved to an entirely higher level performance wise, especially when BS&T, Tower of Power and Chase were using famous world class studio horn players who were performing both creatively and cleanly with uniformly consistent performances even with all the drugs.

And as great as the Chicago horn line was /and still is/ they've never been those kinds of players. Trumpeter Lee Loughnane is central to this point. Back then he was a solid player, but it would be unfair to compare him to a first call NYC studio player like BS&T's Lew Soloff or an immortal lead trumpet player like Bill Chase. The same can be said for Parazader who may have been a gifted classical clarinetist but still would never get anyone to forget Fred Lipsius /BS&T/ or Lennie Pickett /Tower of Power/ as a saxophonist. It's also cool how youtube gives you a chance to compare the live shows of all those late 60s early 70s bands. I think when you do that, the results are clear. Now as rhythm sections go I always liked Chicago more. For my money Kath always sounded great while Cetera was an underrated bass player. And yeah in those early days Seraphine especially, was a beast.

Chicago V-7---I agree there was some good music on those recordings with the emphasis being on some. On the first three everything was good. I just think that with Saturday in the Park, they jumped the shark and the whole thing was never the same musically.

Yeah, you're right this Chicago secondary discussion was a minor derail, but an interesting one that I don't think really hurt anything.
Yeah, for a band that was known as a "rock band with horns" (at least in the beginning), in my opinion, the "weakest" musicians of the group were the horn players by far. Robert Lamn was not very strong on keyboards either, but he was a heck of a song writer during those early years. It is great to see those old youtube videos of various artist of my youth!
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I always liked Bobby Colomby too and found his feel jazzy feel pretty similar to Danny S's, tho' early Chicago seemed to give Danny more chance to open up. I think of Chicago in a similar way to how I see The Tubes - their early albums were brilliant (with a class drummer in Prairie Prince) but later on they played sooky and bland commercial music - and made some real money. Ai ai ai!
Ha, funny how this thread's discussing 2 of my five choices, Prince & Seraphine. KIS got ya thinkin' huh?
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
KIS got ya thinkin' huh?
One can only hope :) Are we the only Prairie Prince tragics on the forum? I idolised him in my youth. His drum track on Pimp is such a killer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqJDFJouYA ... especially his wonderful ideas in the transition at the end of the strings break from about 2:09.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfunkyffoted
in the MSFB song, the Ba-Dooomp is playing in the ride out starting at 4:50. it is also played on the previous sections at/ or after about 1:50 2:50 and 3:50. i´m not sure if that is the C section of the song, but alot of the song´s solos are played over that section. 1-2-3-4 Ba-Dooomp-2-3-4. MFSB were the house band of Philadelphia International Records.
Unfunky - I think I see what you mean by the ba-doom thing now. I use that one at times to make up for my rusty, slow unfunky footwork. Hot drummers usually play those 16ths as doo-doom on the kick rather than the snare/kick ba-doom, although the ba-doom has a special flavour and sounded great when played with conviction a la the MFSB track. Love the sax and the vibe of the backing in that track too.

If this forum and my keyboard could allow for typed drum notation, some of these conversations would be easier :)
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:35 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 809
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
One can only hope :) Are we the only Prairie Prince tragics on the forum? I idolised him in my youth. His drum track on Pimp is such a killer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqJDFJouYA ... especially his wonderful ideas in the transition at the end of the strings break from about 2:09.




Unfunky - I think I see what you mean by the ba-doom thing now. I use that one at times to make up for my rusty, slow unfunky footwork. Hot drummers usually play those 16ths as doo-doom on the kick rather than the snare/kick ba-doom, although the ba-doom has a special flavour and sounded great when played with conviction a la the MFSB track. Love the sax and the vibe of the backing in that track too.

If this forum and my keyboard could allow for typed drum notation, some of these conversations would be easier :)
hee hee...yes. one day everyone will know the term The Funk Hump.

a:¨You know that lick at 4:50 ?¨
b: ¨Oh you mean The Funk Hump¨ ?
a: Ummmm....the one that goes ¨Ba-Dooomp"?
b. Yes, that´s called ¨The Funk Hump¨.
a. I see....tell me more...
b: Well, there´s all sorts of licks....The Money Beat, The Monkey Beat, The Purdie Shuffle, The Funk Hump....Ringo Fills....all sorts of licks...The Disco Beat....The Wipe Out....The Monie Monie....The Bo Diddley....

: )

i know what you mean about substituting the snare hit for one of the bass hits. i used to do that on the intro to ¨Walk This Way¨ and now that i can (barely) play all three licks on the bass drum, i must admit that it still sounds better with the snare as the first hit. provided i don´t hit the snare so hard that it´s painfully obvious that it´s the snare.

a: You know .....tssss bop / ba - boomp booomp bop.
b. Oh yes...the Walk This Way....

: )

Last edited by unfunkyfooted; 12-27-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,740
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I always liked Bobby Colomby too and found his feel jazzy feel pretty similar to Danny S's, tho' early Chicago seemed to give Danny more chance to open up. I think of Chicago in a similar way to how I see The Tubes - their early albums were brilliant (with a class drummer in Prairie Prince) but later on they played sooky and bland commercial music - and made some real money. Ai ai ai!
The days of an experimental format - FM radio!


Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-28-2010, 03:20 PM
ddrumman2004 ddrumman2004 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Courtland MS
Posts: 323
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Ringo Starr
Dave Clark
Charlie Watts
Al Jackson
Sandy Nelson

Showing my age with these picks!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-29-2010, 03:36 AM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 809
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
One can only hope :) Are we the only Prairie Prince tragics on the forum? I idolised him in my youth. His drum track on Pimp is such a killer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQqJDFJouYA ... especially his wonderful ideas in the transition at the end of the strings break from about 2:09.
i can totally hear Prairie Prince in your playing. but it´s hard to say exactly what it is i hear -- i think mostly the tuning and yes feel. but not a carbon copy at all. you´re one of the tightest drummers i´ve heard and i would love to play with you one day. you´ve got an unbelievable pocket and i loved the video you posted of your Club Gig.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:40 AM
beastdrummagirl's Avatar
beastdrummagirl beastdrummagirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Behind my kit.
Posts: 240
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Ok. I have many inspirations but here it goes:
1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin.. you all should know that)<-- Main inspiration for drumming
2. Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
3. Don Henly (The Eagles)
4. Zac Farro (Paramore)
5. Sam Applebaum (Veil Of Maya)
__________________
*gypsy in the soul, artist in the mind, human in the body.*
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 AM
tvplaysdrums tvplaysdrums is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 13
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

My top 5 (in no particular order):

Marco Minnemann
Gavin Harrison
Benny Greb
Simon Phillips
Jojo Mayer

Honorable Mentions:

Mike Portnoy (his playing is what first inspired me to get into drumming)
Chris Coleman ( only very recently did I discover him. He may move into the top 5 soon!)
Adam Deitch (solid SOLID groove guy)
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM
wy yung
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Impossible to answer really. I love Bruford but because I love him so much I avoided using his style for fear I'd become a clone. Although many things he does have crept in, but I play them differently.

My list would change daily depending on what I was listening to. People who have been major influences include Porcarro, Mike Clark, Keltner, Jo Jones, Buddy, Morello etc. Impossible to answer. I love too many drummers.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 9,971
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
i can totally hear Prairie Prince in your playing. but it´s hard to say exactly what it is i hear -- i think mostly the tuning and yes feel. but not a carbon copy at all. you´re one of the tightest drummers i´ve heard and i would love to play with you one day. you´ve got an unbelievable pocket and i loved the video you posted of your Club Gig.
That does it, Unfunky - you're now my official press agent ... your first mission is to get more than two drunks attending my band's gigs :)

In drumming I'm worthy of tying Prairie's shoelaces ... I think what you're hearing is a mid-70s approach that probably stemmed from players like Bonzo and Ian Paice that found its way into the playing of many rock drummers of my vintage.

IMO the time of our mid-to-late teens and the players we dug then have a huge influence on us. My time was the mid-to-late 70s and since I was always a bit behind the times (eg. I got into King Crimson in 1975, a year after they first broke up) I was most thrilled by the drummers of the late 60s to the mid 70s. I didn't approve of disco and punk.

If you're ever in Sydney, give me a yell and we'll grab a studio. Always keen to jam :)
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 809
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
That does it, Unfunky - you're now my official press agent ... your first mission is to get more than two drunks attending my band's gigs :)

if you promise to tune my kit for me, i´ll see what i can do. : )

but you should know, i´m better on the stage than in the press office. : ) : )
.................................................. ................
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 AM
shrink's Avatar
shrink shrink is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 180
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Steve Gadd (for his sheer groove, and for being one of the nicest guys around)
Joe Morello (as with steve, his playing just gets my feet tapping)
Bernard Purdie (always brings a smile to my face)
John Bonham (although different from the others here, he brought many jazz/fusion elements to modern rock drumming, such as popularising tuned bottom heads)
jojo meyer (just funky)
__________________
Me and My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Jay Christ Jay Christ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Chris Adler - Lamb of God
Brann Dailor - Mastodon
Jason Bittner - Shadows fall
Mike Portnoy - Dream theater
Matt Greiner - August burns red
__________________
Destroy yourself, SEE WHO GIVES A FUCK!! \m/
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Fishbones's Avatar
Fishbones Fishbones is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 857
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

might want to change your sig
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Pkaneps's Avatar
Pkaneps Pkaneps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 337
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

That guy from Zeppelin...
Dave Grohl
Chad Smith
Ringo Starr
Erik Sandin
__________________
"A wise man is wise because he knows that he knows nothing."
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Frost's Avatar
Frost Frost is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 904
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
might want to change your sig
Not to bait our newest troll, but Jay would do well to listen.
__________________
A disquiet mind at therapy with the music.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Bootz's Avatar
Bootz Bootz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 28
Default Re: Top 5 Fav Drummers (inspirational to your style)

What I want to sound like.
1. Dave Grohl - Every track on that Them Crooked Vultures cd is perfect, nothing too complex but it just fits.
2. John Bonham
3. Benny Greb
4. Jojo Mayer
5. Phil Rudd

What I actually sound like.
A kid in his basement.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com