DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: PROTECT YOUR EARS.

Ear protection is really important...

A lot of beginning drummers (including myself some time ago) don't use ear protection, and don't understand the consequences.

Now i have a Vic Firth headphone, it's great :)
Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Ear protection!

Hi

I know that Gregg Bissonette swears by ear-protection and I know Morgenstein is forced to use it (tinnitus) but are you guys using any ear protection. I tried to use it but it just sux compared to live, loud and raw playing without any protection. You really can't fell any dynamics or can't feel any energy with your plugs-in your ears. And I imagine that practicing and developing new material with your band with ear-protection is not possible at all, because you don't hear what's going on? So what are your thoughts and experiences with ear protection?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Ear protection!

Me and my brothers play in our basement, where it's really loud, so I use a pair of headphones when I'm playing there.

(Kinda like these ones.)

I've also played outside before. We were just gigging with some friends, so the venue wasn't big, and thus the drums weren't miced. In this case, it wasn't too loud, so I just played without any protection.

Basically, my advice: if it's too loud and it's bothering you, get some protection. If it's not that bad, you don't need anything.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: Ear protection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim
Hi

I know that Gregg Bissonette swears by ear-protection and I know Morgenstein is forced to use it (tinnitus) but are you guys using any ear protection. I tried to use it but it just sux compared to live, loud and raw playing without any protection. You really can't fell any dynamics or can't feel any energy with your plugs-in your ears. And I imagine that practicing and developing new material with your band with ear-protection is not possible at all, because you don't hear what's going on? So what are your thoughts and experiences with ear protection?

Thanks
One link:

http://www.proplugs.com

They don't feel fundementally any different from playing without plugs, but you don't go deaf. Get them at once. Your hearing is valuable to you as a musician, and even naturally it will deteriorate with age. Most people lose around 50% of their range of frequency perception by the time they hit sixty or so, and playing loud, live music on stage without protection is just going to speed that process up.

The ProPlugs aren't as good as proper moulded earplugs designed for musical use, but they're a damn sight better than those little bits of foam most people try out before saying "I hate earplugs!".
Old 02-28-2006, 11:09 PM

Finn thanks for the link. Which size would you recommend for a 30 year old male? What size are you using?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim
Finn thanks for the link. Which size would you recommend for a 30 year old male? What size are you using?
They have (IIRC) six adult sizes, so you're going to have to get hold of the sizing pack - my ears might be totally different from yours (I'm a medium). The good news is that the sizing pack is only $3, and depending on where you are you may find that your local music store carries them and has the sizing chart to hand.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Re: hearing hazards

head phones!!!!! vic firth
Old 03-08-2006, 05:51 AM

I use a pair of closed back senheisser HD250's as ear protection and they work wonders! i guess theyre the equivalent of ear muffs really. I definatly suggest you protect your ears. you only get one pair in a life time and you cant replace them with new ones!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Yes protect your ears, use earplugs.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:18 AM

Use ear plugs now or get use to saying,"What?!" in a few years(maybe weeks depending on how hard/loud you play).
Old 03-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Every drummer should use ear protection. There's no good reason not to.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:42 AM

Default I Can't Hear You!

Musicians, particularly drummers, are at rick of losing their hearing as a resutl of playing without poper ear protection. Sixty percent of Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductees are hearing impaired. Hearing damage can present a temporary or permanent einging in the ears, called "tinnitus," or short-or long-term loss of ablilty to hear clearly called "noise-induced hearing loss." Noise-enduced hearing loss is caused by chronic exposure to sound levels that exceed 85-90dB, particularly in the frequency range of 4,000Hz, causing sensorineural impaired hearing.
Playing drums or listening to loud amplified music without ear protection usually exposes you to 100-115dB. the risk of developing hearing loss depends on the length of time of exposure wihtout ear protection, the proximity to speakers, listening to loud music through earphones, previous hearing damage, and your physical condition. It takes only 15 minutes of noise exposure of 100-115dB without ear protection before you may begin to damage your hearing.
Often, this problem goes unnoticed for long periods of time because speech frequencies, which are 500-4,000Hz, are initially unaffected. Therfore, you may not experience difficulty with hearing during a normal conversation. At first, there is a temporary threshold shift, in wich there is a reversible elevation in the threshold for sound perception. Over time, if sound levels above 90dB persist, this threshold shift will become permanent.
The drummer who may be developing hearing loss may experience a sensation of ear fullnessor pressure. Also, if yo think you have grown used to loud noise, it has probably damaged your ears. At this point, it is vital to protect what remaining hearing you have because there is no treatment, no medicine, no surgery, not even a hearing aid that can correct your hearing once it is damaged by noise.
If you suspect that you are developing noise-induced hearing loss, ringing in your ears, difficulty hearing in the presence of background noise, conversation sounds mumbled, the need to turn the volume of your TV or MP3 player up, or hearing a telephone better eith one ear than the other, it is important to see your physician for a physical exam, a screening for hearing loss, and several hearing tests. The American Academy of Optolaryngology has developed a simple one-page test that musicians can self-administer to determine if a hearing evulation by an otolaryngologist (ear, nose, and throat physician) is necessary. To find this test, visit nsslha.org/public/hearing/disorders.Self-test.htm.
Ear protection to continued noise exposure is the only way to prevent noise-induced hearing loss. Earlplugs plugs are small inserts that fit in to the outer ear canal. To be effective, they must totally block the ear canal with an airtight seal, snugly fitting to the circumeference of the canal. Properly fitted earplugs or muffins reduce the noise 15-30dB. They are avaliable in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit individual ear canals and can be custom made. Simple foam earplugs are avaliable at very low cost at most music stores. Custom made earplugs can be obtained from audiologists.
An improperly fitted, dirty, or worn-out earplug can irrtate the ear canal and may not seal properly. Ordinary cotton balls or tissue paper wads pressed into the ear canals are very poor protectors and may only reduce noise by only 7dB. Better earplugs earplugs and muffins are approximately equal in sound reduction, although earplugs are better for low frequency noise like music produced by drummers or bass players. In-ear personal monitoring systems provide quality stereo sound, eliminating external background noise. These devices allow the musician to hear exactly what instrument produces; however, if the in-ear can monitor volume is too loud, these too can be harmful to the ear.
We know that the more we practice,the better we will play, but keep in mind that it is impossible to be a successesful musician if you cannot hear the music.

Lol, it took me forever to write this. I think im going to be seeing my physician tomorow.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Re: I Can't Hear You!

i got a question to go with this.
anyone know where i can get good ear things that dont change the sound?
what im sayngis the ear buds i use yes make it quieter but it makes it sound like crap.
so what are some that dont change the sound just the volume.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:57 AM
Silver Member

Does anyone know how good the Vic Firth 22dB earphones are, I was thinking about that cause I've been playing without anything in my ears and it's been made me deaf for about an hour after, but actually lately I've been jamming cotton in my ears, it cuts down the noise, but I wasn't quite sure if this was healthy or not. When I get the money I was gonna buy the earphones but yeah. I also read something that said that playing with earphones is also better for your playing, not as in like it'll improve your playing but as in like it helps so you can hear each hit more defined and somehow cleans up your playing. Sounded kinda like bs, but does anyone know about this.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Stu_Strib

I always use headphones when I practice. 1) to hear my metronome or iPod, 2) I like the sound of the drums! Bonus!

The headphones kill the overtones and ringy things that people are always trying to kill. I want my recordings and live playing to sound just like my kit does when I have the headphones on!

I also HATE earplugs or ear buds, or anything that eliminates outside sound (sound isolating?). I think just something over your ears cuts down on the sharp attack enough to protect your ears! I have these open backed Sennheiser headphones that cut down the crack and piercing sounds, but still allow enough sound in to hear yourself and your own dynamics.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

I think it's important to protect your ears, but it is also important to get a good sound from your drumset (and you can't do it with ears plugs). I think it's good to do both things: practise technical stuff with plugs, but then try to get good sound without them...
Stu... The problem is that you're the only one that has the headphones on. The others hear the drumset without them.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Chip

I agree with what Stu Strib said, I wish mine sounded like they did with headphones etc. on. They sound SOOO good with them on. The bass sounds so killer, all but the floor tom, I can never get it to sound good.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Stu... The problem is that you're the only one that has the headphones on. The others hear the drumset without them.
I'm just talking in my practice room. The close intimate, hear all the defects in your kit situation. Live, you don't hear any of that garbage because of big rooms and other music going on. I like the headphone muffle cuz it sounds like my drums sound when I'm playing live over the top of loud music! (at least the recordings I've heard, or sitting out front when other bands use my gear).
Old 04-10-2006, 06:26 AM

Default TINNITUS or HYPERACUSIS??? (Ear Problems???) ANYONE????

I've been suffering from Tinnitus & Hyperacusis for the last 2 months....anyone else have any ear troubles???

I've been getting all kinds of treatments but all without luck so far.

I just woke up one morning after an intense week of gigs, rehearsals and teaching with crazy loud ringing and hyper-sensitivity...AND I almost always have worn earplugs.

Anyway, any feedback/info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 04-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: TINNITUS or HYPERACUSIS??? (Ear Problems???) ANYONE????

I'd say Ear Protection would be a good idea.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
I'd say Ear Protection would be a good idea.
awesome thread db. for my ear protection i use old full ear aiwa headphones with the

cord cut off. work nicely.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Hi Joel

Welcome To DrummerWorld. I am sorry to hear that you are having these ear problem. I got this extract from the below site.....

Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is quite a common problem, affecting about 17% of the general population around the world (44 million people in the USA). It causes significant suffering in about 4% of the general population (10 million in the USA). Usually & typically patients are told "to learn to live with it." However...luckily based on a new clinical approach someone have created a totally new treatment for tinnitus that results in significant improvement for more that 80% of the patients treated at a center (Jastreboff, P.J., Gray, W.C., Gold, S.L. Neurophysiological approach to tinnitus patients. This method, Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT), uses a combination of low level, broad-band noise and counseling to achieve the habituation of tinnitus, that is the patient is no longer aware of their tinnitus, except when they focus their attention on it, and even then tinnitus is not annoying or bothersome.

Tinnitus is accompanied by hyperacusis in about 40% of the cases. Hyperacusis is a decreased tolerance of sound and can be a serious problem. Some patients experience hyperacusis without tinnitus.

The Good News is .....Tinnitus Retraining Therapy can restore totally or if one is not so lucky - -- partially the normal level of sensitivity to sound.

See link....
http://www.tinnitus-pjj.com/
Old 04-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

That's a new theory I haven't heard before in the treatment of tinnitus but I can see how it would work on a (literally) Cereberal level. Your cerebellum automatically learns to ignore sound. You ever remember those times you've lived next to a busy road or a motorway? Well when you first get there you're driven insane by the noise, but after about half an hour or less you just don't notice it.

I suppose this treatment is theoretically justifiable. I suggest you look into it, it just sounds like a lot of white noise being played into your ear, much like tinnitus. I used to get it now and then but it's tolerable and not serious. I hope it clears up.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 PM

I use these musicians earplugs and they work fantastic. They attenuate every frequency equally. It just like turning the volume down, with no wierd coloration of highs and lows.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

When I am gigging I run Shure E1's with custom molds, you just have to make sure to have a room mic mixed into your in-ear mix so you can haer the crowd and the band talking and such.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:08 PM

I use etymotic plugs with some beyerdynamic DT100 closed back headphones when I'm practising. This lets me protect my hearing but also play along to my band's recordings or whatever I fancy playing with. When I'm gigging, I use Shure E3C in ear monitors and I get the sound engineer to give me an individual monitor feed through a Samson C-Que 8 headphone amplifier. If the gig doesnt have a system that can do that I just take a feed from a link out of a monitor wedge through a DI box. This lets me do everything at a safe level. I am also a sound engineer so I take my hearing very very seriously. I think its well worth the several hundred pounds I've spent on my headphone monitor system.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Not necessary to protect your ears unless your playing at a live concerts with amps blasting and speakers everywhere. I have been playing for like 7 or 8 years, i play extremly hard for someone my age and size, and my ears are fine.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:41 AM
~tamadrummer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer
Not necessary to protect your ears unless your playing at a live concerts with amps blasting and speakers everywhere. I have been playing for like 7 or 8 years, i play extremly hard for someone my age and size, and my ears are fine.
yes it is, in about....10 years you will hear a ringing in your ears....it will never stop
Old 04-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Gold Member

i used to not wear ear plugs, now i constantly wear them so my ears dont go bad
Old 04-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Good luck man... I hope you don't have to regret it someday.
Sorry for double posting!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
You're young!

I too thought my ears where made of steel....! in time your ears get tired of listening to high volumes.... the ear is not designed to hear anything louder than a clap of thunder or perhaps a volcano.... a rapid fire snare drum for two hours a day plus could be taking the *iss out of mother nature a little eh?

Speakers..... amps....etc... they're all quieter than your snare drum mate.....and you're sat with ears just a couple feet from it!

I work with sound every day.... I also work with young people / musicians every day too... and more and more of them are falling foul to tinitus...generally because the awareness is STILL not enough to influence young people... hey...don't do drink and drugs and listen to loud music!!!! try and tell that to the millions of life experience hungry young people!!!

Would you stare at the sun ALL DAY LONG????? no...you wear shades.....!

Think about it!

Kristian.

Ohh...and check out my band if you're interested.....

http://www.myspace.com/abandonhopeonline
Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 PM

Let it be loud!!!!!! Your a musician its meant to be LOUD!!!!!! I cant stand it not being loud when i play!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham990
Let it be loud!!!!!! Your a musician its meant to be LOUD!!!!!! I cant stand it not being loud when i play!!!!!!!
Yeah do it... Until you realize that it's not high volume that makes good music. Maybe when you have no other chance because your ears are so wasted that it just hurts.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 AM

I bought some earplugs today fater reading this. I have silencers on my drums, but I didn't think cymbals do more damage than drums. I suck at putting them in though. My local shooting range sells ear muffs that bring the dB down 39 for 40 bucks. Are those good?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Chip

I don't get why people don't pay attention. It will affect you later, not now(well, maybe now for some us). If you play reasonably loud, your drums will always be louder. People can play over 1000 watt amps on full volume and still be clearly heard. For that split second, drums are louder than everything in the mix. I use Hear-o's and industrial earmuffs.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamasgoat5467
I bought some earplugs today fater reading this. I have silencers on my drums, but I didn't think cymbals do more damage than drums. I suck at putting them in though.
Well... high frequences in the cymbals are quite dangerous. I'd dare to say that they are the most dangerous in the whole kit.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
See what I mean Class A, another dumb post. Are you serious? It doesn't matter if theres amps and speakers blasting everywhere. Your drums produce a large amount of sound and yes you'll notice eventually from it. I've been playing for 7 years and I haven't used ear protection and I can definitly tell that I can't hear as good as I have. (if you ever talk to me I say alot of "Huhs?" and "whats?".
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLittle123
Your drums produce a large amount of sound and yes you'll notice eventually from it. I've been playing for 7 years and I haven't used ear protection and I can definitly tell that I can't hear as good as I have. (if you ever talk to me I say alot of "Huhs?" and "whats?".
i am the same way. i have been playing for about 5 years, ive been voted the loudest drummer in my area and i already am noticing a faint ringing in my ears all the time
Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 AM

Here's to all you loud drummers that think loud is the only way and that your quite happy to sacrifice the joy of listening to music and the world around you to acute deafness and the rest of your life listening to a high pitched tone in your head. Think about it. Its loud! Don't you ever wonder why road workers use ear defenders? Or why you see this sign everywhere?
Name:  fl05.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  15.5 KB

Heres some of the info that come on a pack of earplugs i bought (Which are very good by the way.) Etimotic ear plugs i think their called.

Relative Sound Levels
20 dB Ticking watch
30 dB Quiet whisper
40 dB Refrigerator hum
50 dB Rainfall
60 dB Sewing machine
70 sB Washing machine
80 dB Alarm clock at two feet
85 dB Average traffic
95 dB MRI
100 dB Blow dryer, subway train
105 dB Power mower, chainsaw
110 dB Screaming child
120 dB Rock Concert, thunderclap
130 dB Jackhammer, jet engine plane (100 ft. away)
140 dB Shotgun blast, airbag deployment, firecracker

Recommended Exposure Time
Hours Per Day Sound Level
8 90 dB
6 92 dB
3 90 d7
2 100 dB
1.5 102 dB
1 105 dB
.5 110 dB
.25 or less 115 dB

I looked up some info and I found that an average open snare drum at about 2 feet reads roughly 117dB. What does that tell you about unprotected drumming? Get some plugs and stop trying to say ur ears are fine after a metal gig. Loud is immature and unnecessary. Save your hearing. U'l be glad to have it in a few years. Thats all it's going to take.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

I used to use those spongy yellow foam earplugs but I got fed up with those, then I used the blue Vic Firth earphones (-22db), got fed up with those too.

After that I looked for a solution which would allow me to protect my ears and be able to hear music/monitor (when on stage) at the same time. So I got the black Vic Firth iso-phones (-24db) - but having head phones tight like that on my head gave me headaches, the low frequency restitution of those phone is crap and you still have to push the volume a bit to compete with the "outside" drums. In short, that's not so good for your ears, nor for a compfortable playing situation.

Right now, I use In-Ear Shure E2Cs with custom moulds (-35db reduction whilst alowing speach audible) when I practice to play along to music or a click, and when I perform for monitoring. Actually whenever I play drums.

I think this is the way to go since you can have a very low volume level in your ears and clearly hear your drums from the "oustside world" if not monitoring. Some might say it's expensive (it cost me 99 euros just for the E2C plus 135 euros for the moulds) but health does not have a price. That being said, I'm paranoid with all this stuff and even with very low volume settings I still get scared for my ears.

To conclude; it doesn't matter what solution you choose but ALWAYS protect your ears.

So just to make is clear to anyone saying things like "I wear my iso-phones when I'm on stage but not when I practice, is this bad?" the answer is yes. You will damage your ears and if it doesn't occur now, it will later on.

Last edited by Drum-Head; 06-28-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:46 PM

I always protect my ears when i play at home. i wear huge red ear defenders that are used by people in industry and they block the sound out very well