DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Default mikeslessons

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with his monthly lessons, and can give me some feedback if it is worth the $20 a month.

If so, would it be worth using these monthly lessons as a replacement for one to one lessons?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: mikeslessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator7t View Post
If so, would it be worth using these monthly lessons as a replacement for one to one lessons?
No.

Mike is a great drummer, and I love watching his lessons on YouTube, and maybe the monthly payments would be worth it for the video lessons. But this sort of thing is never a replacement for one-to-one lessons with a teacher of your own.

Nothing is, or ever should be, a replacement for that.

YouTube channel

Website
Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Big_Philly

The down side of mikeslessons is that you can't decide what you want to work on for yourself, which is something that a private teacher will allow. But Mike Johnston's lessons are cheap and inspiring... you could give it a try for one month and then decide.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
The down side of mikeslessons is that you can't decide what you want to work on for yourself, which is something that a private teacher will allow. But Mike Johnston's lessons are cheap and inspiring... you could give it a try for one month and then decide.

To my knowledge this is false, Mike registered on Pearl Drummer Forum to set record straight and from what came out is Mike is open to anything, he will phone you on his bill and talk to you directly and then he will prepare a lesson for your need. He want to evolve as a leader of internet virtual drum lessons teacher.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

i think mike is great. i don't pay to take lessons from him because i already have a one on one teacher, but i subscribe to his videos on youtube. i love the concept of using the internet for teaching, but the thing you'll be missing is having someone who can look at what you're doing and suggest ways to improve. maybe mike has a way of doing that with webcams or something, but my impression is that you learn mostly by watching him and listening to him.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Gold Member

The most important thing a teacher can do is watch his student closely to catch the small mistakes that can become huge issues over time...slighly wrong holding of the sticks, etc. Even if there was a two-way webcam Skype type thing set-up, I doubt the resolution is high enough for it to work for that. If he can't see and hear what you are doing, then you are missing out on the main benefit of getting lessons...and you won't be any better off than the drummers who don't take lessons, try to go through books or DVD's themselves, and end up screwing up their technique, etc.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Joker View Post

Mike is a great drummer, and I love watching his lessons on YouTube, and maybe the monthly payments would be worth it for the video lessons. But this sort of thing is never a replacement for one-to-one lessons with a teacher of your own.

Nothing is, or ever should be, a replacement for that.
I agree. Use Mike's lessons the same way you should use this forum - as an addition to your regular private lessons.

Jeff
Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 PM

I recently posted this for another thread... so I'll just paste it here:

I use http://www.mikeslessons.com and I have to say its the best $20 a month that I spend drum related. Here's the thing, this is about learning new grooves, fills, different world beats, ideas, sticking, etc.... really great stuff!

Add to that MP3's and PDF notation for every lesson - plus open question and answer sessions at the end of each lesson completely live via a chat platform..... 3 days a week/3 times a day (there is a beginner lesson on Sunday, Intermediate on Monday and Advanced on Wednesday). And each lesson is archived for 3 weeks so you can go back and watch it if you missed it live. ALL FOR $20 A MONTH. To me, its a no brainer.

I have to say that I have taken private lessons in the past with other instructors and I've learned far more from these online live lessons. There is absolutely no contract period or anything... simply pay via paypal or credit card and cancel anytime. There are people from all over the world taking these lessons which affords us the great monthly price.

Now for the best part - the instructor. Simply check him out on youtube (Mike Johnston) to see brief clips of his playing abilities.

Do yourself a favor - try it for a month and see how you like it. I challenge anyone who takes 1 on 1 private lessons to sign up as well.... I would be surprised if you don't get more out of this for a fraction of the price. You can upload videos of your playing and he is happy to critique them for you. Furthermore, you can request lesson topics and he will make every effort to include them in upcoming lessons.

Check out his website.... check out his youtube stuff.... I'm sure I'll see you in the members chat/lessons soon enough. Keep in mind that his youtube clips are not a representation in any way of the level of teaching.... he is simply showing his ability and credibility of experience. Whether you are a day 1 beginner or a full blown advanced player you will fit in as there are different levels of instruction on different days. And, you can check in on all levels simply to see what is being taught.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 AM

Thanks for the replys guys.

Yeah, I think I might try the lessons for a month and see how it goes. It's just the matter of being able to afford the private one to one lessons, which are quite expensive if I intend to take them weekly.

I have had a number of lessons in the past so I have the right techniques down, I think it is just a matter of myself trying to learn new things, so I think mikeslessons could be worth it for myself.

I have seen a few of his students who have started from the very beginning and progressed into reasonably advanced drummers, all through mikeslessons, their techniques seemed spot on to me.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Disclosure: Mike is a Paiste artist and I work for Paiste.

I had the chance to "sit in" on a live stream of Mikeslessons.com and was very impressed with the level of quality. The video and audio quality was far beyond what I expected and the "interaction" with the audience was great. Mike was asked to break down certain parts he was doing to further explain them and he was able to change camera views to make the answers clear.
Mike has invested tons of money in technology to make the best quality product he can. I am looking forward to seeing more of his work soon. I am sure some of the other online lessons are good too, but I am sure you will learn from Mike.

The feedback you can get from sitting with a great teacher is something that cannot (yet) be replaced by online lessons, but this new model of learning is truly impressive.

Tim
Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

I have always enjoyed what I have seen of Mike and have often thought of using his teaching aids online as a supplement to my growth as a new drummer...as great as I think he is he would never replace my one on one time, but he certainly could help in my thinking.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 AM

I went with him for a month but stopped after that.

Simply he wasn't showing me things that I wanted to focus on right now. I wanted to improve my jazz feel and technique, which he doesn't do either.

Great guy, absolute top teacher, nice dude, etc. i mean every word but unless you are looking for contemporary/pop/rock/fusion fill ideas and definitely some inspiration at a cheap price, he's not for you.

get a personal teacher that knows technique, and listen to records yourself.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM

I subscribed to mikeslessons.com roughly a year ago today, And its been great. I too agree that you must look at this concept as a drumming instruction aid, and not a replacement for one to one private lessons.

Mike Johnston is by far the most inspirational and encouraging drum teacher I've ever had. In my experience the problem with one on one private lessons is that in some areas it can be hard to find a drum teacher who is not only a successful and talented musician but also a great teacher. The problem with alot of music teacher's is that they are usually frustrated musicians waiting for something better to come along or plain and simply they're heart is just not in it. ( im talking in general I know there are alot of great teachers out they're aswell, but I live in australia so im talking from my own personal experience )

1 teacher I tryed out who worked out of a well established music chain store would literally photocopy the latest material out of a drum magazine and teach it to me when I was an absolute beginner, and I found out later that he would take that same lesson and teach every one of his students for that week the same lesson no matter what they're skill level, he then one day completely forgot to turn up to one of my lessons, that was the last time I had lessons with him.

Another teacher was teaching out of home, and had some reputation for playing with a fairly successful australian band. Now this teacher was enthusiastic, but i felt there was no method to his lesson plans, there was no thought of the bigger picture when giving me lessons.

My current teacher is constantly gigging, and is fairly well organised, and is a very satisfactory teacher, but I never feel encouraged or enthusiastic about drums or music after a lesson with him. I even asked him one day if he still enjoys doing what he does, or if he was jaded by it all now, and he honestly told me that he feels jaded lol. But he is the best of what I've found available in my current location ( western sydney ).

My point is that although I have a satisfactory teacher in real life, Mike Johnston makes me want to practice hard, he makes me want to play the drums, he gets me excited about the instrument And Im sure alot of people on this forum would agree that it can be easy to feel frustrated and discouraged about drums every now and then.

Lastly I just want to list the benefits of mikeslessons.

* When ever my teacher gives me something to work on, or advice I can always get a 2nd opinion.

* Mike usually teaches cool things, we all know we have to be able to play pocket and make that 2 and 4 sit right, and have independence, but sometimes u just wanna learn something fun.

* He gives out great advice on anything from buying drum gear, to industry advice etc.

* He sometimes has a guest drummer come in and blaze away on one of his lesson ( i.e. Eric Moore )

* Every lesson comes wtih pdf and mp3s, plus you can re-watch lessons in the archives if you miss one.

* Lastly He is just the most warm, encouraging helpful and most inspirational drummer that I have ever come across.

I know this was long but I hope it helps.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 PM

I subscribe to Mike's live lessons, and also paid $14 for one of his lesson packs (9 videos).

Overall I am impressed with the speed of introduction and follow through, building on each lesson.

But I am a total novice, so my opinion may not be worth the penny no one offered ;)

Anyway I think his lesson-pack lessons are great, and definitely working for me (7 days in now!) but I will also try a real teacher once I get some comprehension or ability of rhythm.

If you're interested to judge for yourself how Mike's Lessons ramp up a total novice, check out my live video journals (no emotions or talking, just drumming!) and follow my progress once I get a real teacher at kicksareforribs!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Thanks for this, I hadn't come across Mike's lessons when I was hunting for stuff this week, but these look like just what I need. I just bought the "beginning drums" pack for the price of a couple of bottles of cheap wine, which seems like a steal.

If I remember I'll post how I get on with them.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drum and Bass drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morat View Post
Thanks for this, I hadn't come across Mike's lessons when I was hunting for stuff this week, but these look like just what I need. I just bought the "beginning drums" pack for the price of a couple of bottles of cheap wine, which seems like a steal.

If I remember I'll post how I get on with them.
If you willing to work hard and go the not so traditional route there is literally volumes and volumes of material thats very very affordable and even free.

And remember, when almost all of us tell you getting a teacher is the best thing, it's because thats how we did, not because we are 100% right,

Ask the drummers that where in your shoes 20 years ago how they learned....I can tell you 0% had the option to learn from YouTube or mikes lessons.........ect

That said if u want to get a teacher DO IT! In my early years I had a teacher.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

I subscribed to mikeslesson for a month, to check it out.
It was pretty good, but I didn't learn anything that I already didn't know apart from some licks and such.
It's a good site for beginners and some intermediate players.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
I subscribed to mikeslesson for a month, to check it out.
It was pretty good, but I didn't learn anything that I already didn't know apart from some licks and such.
It's a good site for beginners and some intermediate players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksare4ribs View Post
I subscribe to Mike's live lessons, and also paid $14 for one of his lesson packs (9 videos).

[...]

Anyway I think his lesson-pack lessons are great, and definitely working for me (7 days in now!) but I will also try a real teacher once I get some comprehension or ability of rhythm.
kicksareforribs!

I have since watched several archived "live lessons" through, and I am not impressed. In the ones I saw he spent more time flirting with his assistant, selling products for sponsors, and telling useless stories. The first 5 minutes were always rambling.

Seems the bundled packs are more polished, and have better content. Unless you're an experienced drummer just looking to see others drum and chit-chat, I would avoid his Live Lessons.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

My opinion, great guy and drummer and I gladly give him money for his lessons. But if you're a beginner, get lessons one on one. The lessons he teaches deal more with how much the STUDENT puts into it. You have to make an effort.

I guess the consensus is give it a try for a month and see how you like it. However, it's not replacement for BEGINNER drum lessons which cover the basics.(1) Good foundations are always important.

(1) Many of you have said such as "how you're holding the stick", etc, but that's what you learn in beginner drum lessons which should always be one on one with an instructor. I think what Mike really focuses on is ideas for upper-beginner, intermediate and advanced and how to improve hands, grooves and fills. By those levels most of us know how to hold our sticks.

PS: next time search the forum. There are a ton of threads on Mikes Lessons. One pops up once a week.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

I too am a believer.

I've been to his camp in California and use his material a lot. It's perfect for intermediate players IMHO. I've yet to find a great local drum teacher and so to be inspired by Mike is great. The cost is an order of magnitude cheaper than private lessons so you shouldn't even be comparing them.

There are people in very remote parts of the world that subscribe that have no local tutoring options.

I'm always puzzled by the negative comments. If it doesn't work for you then that's fine. There's no need to rubbish the concept that others are finding genuinely useful.

Peace
Davo
Old 01-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

I am not sure what sort of commitment he requires, but $20 is nothing really. What are you going to get for $20, 3 value meals or 3 pairs of sticks? Try it out. Who knows, he might win you over.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
nhzoso

Would love to hear what the OP thinks now?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
To my knowledge this is false, Mike registered on Pearl Drummer Forum to set record straight and from what came out is Mike is open to anything, he will phone you on his bill and talk to you directly and then he will prepare a lesson for your need. He want to evolve as a leader of internet virtual drum lessons teacher.
This may have been true when he started out, but he has far too many students to have thenpersonal touch he used to. I was a subscriber at the start when he first setup the website and was really impressed. I have had a couple of years break due to work and just come back to the site and found that, although the content is still excellent, the chat part is useless as so many people (hundreds) have questions at the end of the lessons that mine never seem ato get answered. I rarely log in for the actualmlive lesson now, purely use the archive and save the mp3 and PDF downloads for the future. I still think it's great value as he inspires me to play more than anyone I have ever learnt from before (and that includes 1-1 teachers in person).
Old 02-05-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator7t View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with his monthly lessons, and can give me some feedback if it is worth the $20 a month.

Thanks
To the first question: yes. Absolutely. Whatever your level, I think his lessons are easily worth what he is charging.

To the second, maybe. I know there are lots of folks in the "one-on-one lessons can't be replaced" camp, but I think it depends on where you are in your learning curve. I've already done several years of one-on-one lessons and been playing for over 30 years total. For me, what Mike provides is perfect for where I'm at. But I don't think this would be the case if I was at some earlier spot in the curve.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

When I first saw mikelessons a while back, I looked into it and it seemed fine for the money. He provides some nice stuff and his approach was certainly novel when it first came out. So I have no problem with this being used as a supplement alongside real face time lessons, although some here want to peg this as an either/or proposition, which I can certainly understand, seeing how $$$ is tight these days. And yeah, old school lessons seem very expensive.

But I do want to make a very clear point about the one on one lesson thing that tends to be overlooked. There's a real relationship that's developed with one on one. The guy can become a friend, a confidante, a taste barometer and a mentor, to say nothing of a connection for other things, including gigs. It's for this reason that I will still seek out teachers for one issue or another although I'm supposedly fairly together as a player. I especially wised up to this when I found out that most of greatest opera singers in the world take lessons throughout their careers. In fact, would it surprise you to learn that the great Pavorotti himself took a lesson the week he died? Well, it sure surprised me.

IMO I feel too many people go into a lesson relationship with the idea that this teacher guy is a service industry thing, similar to someone who waits your eating table, or a vending machine you stuff coins into to achieve instantaneous results that may or may not have been in your best interest as a musician. You see it on these forums all the time, where a poster will complain about his lessons two weeks into it, already making judgments and assumptions, while railing on about what they need at their point of development, when a lot of times they really don't know yet. And mostly, they often times never will know because they just won't accept the mentor aspect of the relationship. See, to me that's the main thing you get from one on one lessons that will never happen from a DVD or computer.

Then ironically enough, you will see drummers especially pay obscene amounts for their drums then complain about the $50 bucks they just shelled out for a lesson, or claim poverty about paying at all, when the best way to have succeeded musically was to have simply bought slightly cheaper stuff and learned one on one the very best way to play that gear. To me, buying the good stuff before you know what to do with it is cart before the horse. Besides, if you're seeing lessons as this big egg timer, look at it this way. A good mentor will accept your random call at 3:00 in the afternoon when you're stumbling on a practice routine. A good mentor will also talk to you about music over a beer, where you learn 1000 different things. A DVD can't do that.

I think I played something like 200 gigs last year, and I'll bet I can't remember what gear I played on half those shows because I was too busy trying to get over by drawing from what I recalled from my lessons. In fact I remember the silly thing one of my teachers once said: Learn to play and the good drumset will come. Now before KIS and others jump me about dissing good stuff, I want to clarify that I'm not going that way. All I'm saying is that we see plenty of one step past entry level players talk on forums about how expensive lessons are in reference to high end drums they're not even ready to play.

I saw this at AIM too when one of my colleagues /a recent GC Drumoff Grand Champion/ decided to forego the mentor side of his lessons and never progressed again. In fact, I can't name a single notable accomplishment from that guy since he graduated, whereas I can't tell you how many times I've been gig referred by an old teacher, who will never help some guy who took the shortcut.

Hey, I understand that everybody's path is different and absolutely to each his own. But I'm well aware of most all the ways you can acquire info about improving as a musician, including the often valuable instructional DVD/watching the guy on a video way. But I can never condone pushing out real lessons as an option, especially if you really want to be good at this.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
When I first saw mikelessons a while back, I looked into it and it seemed fine for the money. He provides some nice stuff and his approach was certainly novel when it first came out. So I have no problem with this being used as a supplement alongside real face time lessons, although some here want to peg this as an either/or proposition, which I can certainly understand, seeing how $$$ is tight these days. And yeah, old school lessons seem very expensive.

But I do want to make a very clear point about the one on one lesson thing that tends to be overlooked. There's a real relationship that's developed with one on one. The guy can become a friend, a confidante, a taste barometer and a mentor, to say nothing of a connection for other things, including gigs. It's for this reason that I will still seek out teachers for one issue or another although I'm supposedly fairly together as a player. I especially wised up to this when I found out that most of greatest opera singers in the world take lessons throughout their careers. In fact, would it surprise you to learn that the great Pavorotti himself took a lesson the week he died? Well, it sure surprised me.

IMO I feel too many people go into a lesson relationship with the idea that this teacher guy is a service industry thing, similar to someone who waits your eating table, or a vending machine you stuff coins into to achieve instantaneous results that may or may not have been in your best interest as a musician. You see it on these forums all the time, where a poster will complain about his lessons two weeks into it, already making judgments and assumptions, while railing on about what they need at their point of development, when a lot of times they really don't know yet. And mostly, they often times never will know because they just won't accept the mentor aspect of the relationship. See, to me that's the main thing you get from one on one lessons that will never happen from a DVD or computer.

Then ironically enough, you will see drummers especially pay obscene amounts for their drums then complain about the $50 bucks they just shelled out for a lesson, or claim poverty about paying at all, when the best way to have succeeded musically was to have simply bought slightly cheaper stuff and learned one on one the very best way to play that gear. To me, buying the good stuff before you know what to do with it is cart before the horse. Besides, if you're seeing lessons as this big egg timer, look at it this way. A good mentor will accept your random call at 3:00 in the afternoon when you're stumbling on a practice routine. A good mentor will also talk to you about music over a beer, where you learn 1000 different things. A DVD can't do that.

I think I played something like 200 gigs last year, and I'll bet I can't remember what gear I played on half those shows because I was too busy trying to get over by drawing from what I recalled from my lessons. In fact I remember the silly thing one of my teachers once said: Learn to play and the good drumset will come. Now before KIS and others jump me about dissing good stuff, I want to clarify that I'm not going that way. All I'm saying is that we see plenty of one step past entry level players talk on forums about how expensive lessons are in reference to high end drums they're not even ready to play.

I saw this at AIM too when one of my colleagues /a recent GC Drumoff Grand Champion/ decided to forego the mentor side of his lessons and never progressed again. In fact, I can't name a single notable accomplishment from that guy since he graduated, whereas I can't tell you how many times I've been gig referred by an old teacher, who will never help some guy who took the shortcut.

Hey, I understand that everybody's path is different and absolutely to each his own. But I'm well aware of most all the ways you can acquire info about improving as a musician, including the often valuable instructional DVD/watching the guy on a video way. But I can never condone pushing out real lessons as an option, especially if you really want to be good at this.
+ + + + Well said sir + + + +