DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Re: someone says you suck at drums, what do u do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Double paradiddlyflamatacues with half pike, backflip and a touch of Tabasco, .
Okay... i know i just said this on another post but you really need to write a rudiment book.. or at least a youtube video of "Pollyanna's Hybrid Rudiments"... i'd love to work some double paradiddlyflamatacues with half pike backflip and tabasco..
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelimpingtoad View Post
Okay... i know i just said this on another post but you really need to write a rudiment book.. or at least a youtube video of "Pollyanna's Hybrid Rudiments"... i'd love to work some double paradiddlyflamatacues with half pike backflip and tabasco..
The book would have an obvious title - RUDEiments!

It would be pretty short ... play eighths on the hats, snare on 2 and 4, kick drum on 1 and 3.

Next rudiment ... play eighths on the ride, snare on 2 and 4, kick drum on 1 and 3.

That's what happens when you suck at drums :)
Old 08-18-2009, 03:45 PM

Too bad... i really wanted to hear these double-flamaradididdlyduffamacues and cheesey-ruffadumdiddles i keep seeing you talk about.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to disappoint, LT. Restarting at my age and restarting playing I had two choices.

I could get lessons and try to catch up on all the drumming science I neglected, starting with slow singles with the correct grip, so I could ... what? Try to compete for the top gigs against all those star players graduating from the Conservatorium with better physical coordination than I do plus the energy of youth? Get in a busy band to give me sleep deprivation balancing a heavy gigging schedule and work?

The other choice was to provide a simple backdrop for some friends in a similar position and focus on playing the things I already know more cleanly, accurately and with more sensitive feel than I did before. If a chop monster thinks it's dull, that's ok.

For the record, a paradiddlyflamatacue goes like this: RLRRLRLLRlLrllRLRLLRLLRLRRLrRlrrLRLR ... add Tabasco to taste :)
Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
The other choice was to provide a simple backdrop for some friends in a similar position and focus on playing the things I already know more cleanly, accurately and with more sensitive feel than I did before. If a chop monster thinks it's dull, that's ok.

For the record, a paradiddlyflamatacue goes like this: RLRRLRLLRlLrllRLRLLRLLRLRRLrRlrrLRLR ... add Tabasco to taste :)
nothing wrong with simple... I was just commenting on the creative rudiment names. I think they're a great statement to how rediculous the rudiment names actually sound.

thanks for the tip... i'll pick up some tabasco before practice tonight! :)
Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeydrums View Post
i just wanna see what people would do if someone went up to your face and said "you are a really crappy drummer. i mean, im better than you."

why i post this? cuz it happened to me today, and i didnt know if i should've hit the guy, or tried to talk about it with him.

I'd say " I know & thank you BTW your girlfriend toll me I'm a better lover than you..."

My Kit Latest Update

Last edited by mind_drummer; 08-18-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
nothing wrong with simple... I was just commenting on the creative rudiment names. I think they're a great statement to how rediculous the rudiment names actually sound.

thanks for the tip... i'll pick up some tabasco before practice tonight! :)
Ah, but it would be very cool to play things as creative and symphonic as Tom Grosset's Transformers Theme interpretation, although it's pretty cool being a fan of the really good players and have fun being 1/5 of something that sounds good.

But yeah, onomatopoeias aren't known for their elegance. (You'd think that the word "onomatopoeia" would be spelt onnamattapia - sort of like Inagaddadavida - go figure). It always vaguely bothered me that I was supposed to use militiary drum exercises the building blacks for my playing.

Mind Drummer, I don't think I could use your comeback. Well, I could, but it would be a bit of an own goal :)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
I'd say " I know & thank you BTW your girlfriend toll me I'm a better lover than you..."
of all the responses that could get you punched in the face, this is the funniest!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

I like the way cheesey-ruffadumdiddles sound when they crunch in my mouth, particularly the jalapeno-flavored ones. :D
Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

If someone told me that.. I would ask them for lessons.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Be sure it's a bad drummer.

I never heard a featured Drummerworld drummer bash another drummer - they don't need to do so...lol

Bernhard
You suck at drums...I'm better than you......lol!! (kidding!)
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 PM

When I first started playing drums I did it through school and I had was the only drummer in the sschool so I thought I was the shit and had a real I'm better then everyone mentality. As soon as I got to high school there was a drummer who was amazing and when he played I could tell he was playing not just better then me, but playing on a higher plane of existence then me :p . Thankfully that crushed my small drumming universe and opened me up to so many great drummers. I realized after a few years that when a drummer gets to a certain point it stops being "better" and starts being "different". You can't compare neil pert to buddy rich, or even neil pert to mike portney because they both rely on different amounts of technicality and emotionality in their playing and you cant say ones better then the other you can only comment on who's style you enjoy listening to more.
I had an encounter at a party in my frosh year where I met a drummer. Usually when I meet a drummer I really enjoy just "drum talking" but this guy didn't seem to want to do that, he just wanted to talk about how much better he was then me. Well thankfully there was a drumset in the house and i had had a bunch to drink so I challenged him outright to a drum duel right there on the spot. Everyone at the party stopped to watch and I went on first. When I was done the other drummer refused to play and everyone boo'd him. It was a great moment.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

I've had someone say this to me before as well.
At the time I had played only for a year, and he had been playing around the same.

I came to find out that he couldn't even play a whole song (let alone parts of one).
And I could play several songs all of the way through. By various bands.

Pshhh...

P.S. He still thinks he's better than me.

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 AM

I absolutely hate people that do crap like that. I don't know what I'd do, but I normally laugh it off since it's normally on YouTube, and the people that leave those comments normally have no drum videos of their own.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
You're all really crap at drums, I mean, I'm better than you all!

Yea thats right, what you gonna do about it?
Well that's it, time to try the guitar.

You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself, hey, that sounds like a song, I have to write that down, oh wait a minute, somebody beat me to it, darn it!

You did the right thing Starkydrums by not getting into a fight with the guy, don't want to hurt those drumming hands. Maybe the guy was having a bad day or was just jealous.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:51 AM

Reply:
I may suck, but you're ugly, & I can practice.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 AM

Heck with those kinds of people with no manners, you know what you are.

I would say, "So?".

Or you could use the old "I heard" tactic... "Yeah, well I heard you suck too."
Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 AM
RickRockstar

Quote:
i just wanna see what people would do if someone went up to your face and said "you are a really crappy drummer. i mean, im better than you."

why i post this? cuz it happened to me today, and i didnt know if i should've hit the guy, or tried to talk about it with him.
Dude, if that ever happened to me I would throw a drum stick at him! You laugh, but a Vic Firth 5A coming at you in full hurl from behind a kit with a 6'4" 273lbs drummer providing the kinetic energy to propel the thing is definitely a Weapon of Mass Destriction buddy!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 AM

you could always go with

"of course I suck! a BJ is $10, an HJ is ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKbhuZIeBk
Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 AM

Smile and walk away!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBasha View Post
I had an encounter at a party in my frosh year where I met a drummer. Usually when I meet a drummer I really enjoy just "drum talking" but this guy didn't seem to want to do that, he just wanted to talk about how much better he was then me. Well thankfully there was a drumset in the house and i had had a bunch to drink so I challenged him outright to a drum duel right there on the spot. Everyone at the party stopped to watch and I went on first. When I was done the other drummer refused to play and everyone boo'd him. It was a great moment.
Oh man that sounds great, as much as i suck at drum solo's, i'm not bad at grooves and i guess that would be my weapon in that situation. I don't like to think of drumming as a competition but if you are doing the 'put your money where your mouth is' thing then that is the best response you could expect. Well done sir!
Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 PM

Maybe I just haven't gigged much, but I've never had anyone approach me like that. I mean teachers in high school gave me strong criticisms that IMPLIED I sucked, but they taught me how to get better at it. If anyone said anything like that to me, I would just ask them to back up their point by asking "why?" and if they had nothing to say I'd call em jealous. As it is, in my community I have yet to go a show without someone coming up to me afterwards with praise, and I have yet to do a show where I didn't go and praise someone else.

Colonel, dare the next attacker you get to cover your material, and then keep telling them you are better than they are because they can't do it when they try to argue it... you're an amazing player, after reading that post I thought you might be some 15 year old kid who couldn't keep a beat (like me when I was told that) turns out you're actually too good for the average internet idiot to understand.

9 years of blasturbation.
http://www.facebook.com/ferretpercussion
Old 08-26-2009, 04:23 PM

I say "Thank you" then smile politely.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
If anyone said anything like that to me, I would just ask them to back up their point by asking "why?" and if they had nothing to say I'd call em jealous.
This may be the best response... simply ask "Why?" because if they know what they're talking about they could explain in detail "Well your timing is off, your playing the same fill in every song, your left hand drags on single strokes, etc"
But if they don't have a clue why you can just brush them off with a laugh.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Reading this thread just goes to show that there are 75 ways to skin a cat :)

At my age no one will tell me I suck at drumming, part of that being because I don't. Not brilliant, but not sucky either. In a way it's worse if someone who sees real issues and DOESN'T tell you - kind of like having your shirt on inside out and no one says anything and you just look silly without being able to rectify things.

It's important to me not to be scary so people CAN speak their mind freely to me, tho if they just one-upping you then that's annoying. Still, dealing with crap is character-building. If you lose your cool, then there's a lesson to be learnt. Hey, I've learnt lessons like that right here on this forum!

Old dogs (or bitches) CAN learn new tricks :)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Reading this thread just goes to show that there are 75 ways to skin a cat :)

At my age no one will tell me I suck at drumming, part of that being because I don't. Not brilliant, but not sucky either. In a way it's worse if someone who sees real issues and DOESN'T tell you - kind of like having your shirt on inside out and no one says anything and you just look silly without being able to rectify things.

It's important to me not to be scary so people CAN speak their mind freely to me, tho if they just one-upping you then that's annoying. Still, dealing with crap is character-building. If you lose your cool, then there's a lesson to be learnt. Hey, I've learnt lessons like that right here on this forum!

Old dogs (or bitches) CAN learn new tricks :)
You suck at drums :| and... your shirt is totally inside out! :) (j/k about the sucking part... i don't really know... but yeah... check your shirt!)
Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You suck at drums :| and... your shirt is totally inside out! :) (j/k about the sucking part... i don't really know... but yeah... check your shirt!)
Ok, correction. ALMOST no one will tell me I suck on drums :P Really, I'd only suck at drums if they were aniseed, peppermint or human flavoured :)

It's weird. I mean, it would be hugely presumptious to even say to a drummer after a gig, "Hey, you overplay and have issues with your timing" without being asked your opinion. To just go an insult a musicaion at their show is bizarre behaviour.

Ideally, you'd just chat and if the drummer asked your opinion then you could give it, but even then most times the answer would be, "That was good" even if there were flaws because people don't like to focus on negatives. Most times you have to work pretty hard to give permission for people to give explicit feedback to get real opinions. Most times we know most of our limitations anyway because we butt up against them every day.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

I'd tell 'em I could suck a 22" bass drum through a floor tom.
...or garden hose...I keep getting those things confused... very similar...hoses and floor toms... what'd I come in here for again?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It's weird. I mean, it would be hugely presumptious to even say to a drummer after a gig, "Hey, you overplay and have issues with your timing" without being asked your opinion. To just go an insult a musicaion at their show is bizarre behaviour.
Yeah i agree... that's why that guy is an ahole. :) Guys like that also usually can't back up their bs so i wouldn't really worry about it... although with my personality, something like that would gnaw at me for years and years... (i DO hold grudges... forever)
Old 08-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah i agree... that's why that guy is an ahole. :) Guys like that also usually can't back up their bs so i wouldn't really worry about it... although with my personality, something like that would gnaw at me for years and years... (i DO hold grudges... forever)

Why?!

IF they make a valid point, however blunt and rude, then you are better off knowing you can fix it. If someone came up to me like that, I would thank them later by upstaging them with their taken advice.

9 years of blasturbation.
http://www.facebook.com/ferretpercussion
Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Why?!

IF they make a valid point, however blunt and rude, then you are better off knowing you can fix it. If someone came up to me like that, I would thank them later by upstaging them with their taken advice.
Because he said "You suck..." there's nothing constructive about "you suck" and its not polite. If he had said instead "Hey, if you ever want some pointers I could offer you some advice." or "How long have you been playing? I'm an expert drummer and could give you some pointers on how to improve ..." that would not have been an ahole thing to do... but the fact is he said "you suck at drums" to someone he didn't know and it doesn't sound like he gave any reasons why. I don't care if i hear the suckiest drum that ever sucked... I'm not going to walk up and tell them "You suck"... if i said anything it would be something a lot more polite and offering reasons why I feel that way IF and ONLY IF they showed an interest in hearing what I had to say.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
DSCRAPRE

I have a wierd third person veiw of this. I am solid, by that I mean I can hold a solid beat, I can't solo really well or any thing and I didn't write the book of technical precision. That said, one of my friends has a brother who plays drums, he is not very good at all. Worse than me (and I'm not good). He never saw me play but he thought he was really something special. After I got on his kit for a few minutes he started asking me for advice and i taught him what little I know. All he ever heard from anybody was that he sucked and that kind of negative reinforcement was just blocked out. I gave him constructive critism and he has improved.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

I have a wierd third person veiw of this. I am solid, by that I mean I can hold a solid beat, I can't solo really well or any thing and I didn't write the book of technical precision. That said, one of my friends has a brother who plays drums, he is not very good at all. Worse than me (and I'm not good). He never saw me play but he thought he was really something special. After I got on his kit for a few minutes he started asking me for advice and i taught him what little I know. All he ever heard from anybody was that he sucked and that kind of negative reinforcement was just blocked out. I gave him constructive critism and he has improved.

Isn't it amazing how a little bit of constructive advice and some genuine compassion for someone else can have an amazing effect? Bless you! You never know how much your friendly advice will travel. He may pass on what you taught him to someone else. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBasha View Post

Hahaha!! Thats one of the best stories I've ever heard! I sincerely wish I could've been there to see that. I can't believe someone would spout off like that and then refuse to even try.

And there's nothing like a drunken jam on the kit to get you all fired up. };->
Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeep69 View Post
Hand them your sticks and say "Let's see what you got."
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie1969 View Post
Hand him your sticks....and go to the bar, get yourself a cocktail. He'll either embarrass himself...or you.....either way you'll be fully prepared.
The old "Put up or Shut up"...

Years ago I was on break from a national act, spending the winter in a house band (dance/rock) that was 70% sequenced and had trouble keeping members. I soon found out why.. I take the Kenny Aronoff approach to drumming of just "laying it down." So with that in mind, I had to take the following with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila.

The singer, a former drummer, was on a usual (alcohol induced) rampage and told me and I quote, "I don't think you could find 2&4 with a map." I simply told him, "I wouldn't be able to play with the sequencer if that was the case, but if he really thought that, he should fire me now so I can be home by the weekend and football on my own TV."

I finished my winter commitment with the band and they even tried to get me to come back.. go figure.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

If there's a cover charge, just pull the $5.00 or whatever out of your pocket and say . . .

"Well, you may be right, but I got YOUR 5 bucks, where are YOU playing tonight?"

That'll usually get the correct amount of rise out of him.

Then just scoff at him and walk away.

If there's anything left to say, HE'LL be the one to say it AS you walk away.

Hitting/punching/cutting/shooting the patron will usually make YOU look like the aggressor, so go there as a LAST resort.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 PM
motojt

I would've told him to eat a dick.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 AM

Tell him the HE paid to see YOU...and laugh in his face.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajo View Post
Tell him the HE paid to see YOU...and laugh in his face.
BRILLIANT!!

Glad I thought of it!!!!

Attached Images

Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM
wy yung

Quote:

Some people are just not nice. There's not much we can do about it. The comment is incredibly immature. It could be worse. You could have heard a serious pro said it behind your back. It happened to me when a pro heard a student playing in my teaching room and thought it was me. The student had just returned to drumming after 15 years off. I had to find the pro and have a serious, but friendly talk. ;-)

Don't let the buggers get you down.