DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Drumming Logistics - Right leg Amputee

I have recently spoken to an OT at my place of work who is working with a patient who has recently had part of his right leg amputated above the knee due to a sarcoma.

This patient is a keen drummer and along with all the other challenges he will now have to face in general life, he is eager to find out if he can still play the drums - with drumming being his passion in life it will be a very useful outlet for him.

There are plenty of suggestions that spring to mind e.g. playing the bass drum with left foot and sacraficing the high hats, or trying to play bass and high hats with left foot, altering technique so that feet/legs are no longer needed e.g. congas! When i had a broken leg i used to play bass and hi hat with my left leg (using double bass pedal) i remember this causing somes strain in my knee. Obviously he wants to find a way of playing that avoids future injury.

If anyone has had any experiences like this i'd be keen to know about them so i can feed it back to the OT and give the young lad some positive advice.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drumming Logistics - Right leg Amputee

I'll see if I can dig up the full story, but this kit belongs to a guy with cerebral palsy. He's lost the use of his right leg (at least for drumming), so he has set up a kit with a remote pedal for his left foot.

Obviously, since he has two good arms, you can throw whatever you want "on top", but the key to one-footed drumming (as I see it) is to play the kick drum with your available foot, and then use two or more hihats to simulate hihat stand functionality.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:50 PM

If you get a remote hat pedal, and put the 2 pedals perpendicular to each other (in an upside-down "T" shape), you can play bass with your toe, while lifting & lowering your leg to work the hats with your heel. Not the complexity you can get with 2 feet, but that might work for the guy.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Josh Freese toured with A Perfect Circle while he had a broken right leg.

There was a brief article in one of the drummer magazines on how he pulled it off.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I'll see if I can dig up the full story, but this kit belongs to a guy with cerebral palsy. He's lost the use of his right leg (at least for drumming), so he has set up a kit with a remote pedal for his left foot.

Obviously, since he has two good arms, you can throw whatever you want "on top", but the key to one-footed drumming (as I see it) is to play the kick drum with your available foot, and then use two or more hihats to simulate hihat stand functionality.

Thats fourstringsdrums kit
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 AM

I have no personal experience with this sort of thing, but with two good arms and one good leg, I think your patient's drumming can still be very fulfilling. From your description, it sounds like he is right handed/right footed. So, it's primarily a matter of learning to play the kick with the left foot.

As far as the kit goes, I envision a sort of symmetrical setup. Below is a sample I made on kitbuilder:

R = Remote Hi-Hat Pedal
B = Bass Drum Pedal
HH1 = Mounted Hi-Hat
HH2 = Remote Hi-Hat
CR1 = Crash 1
CR2 = Crash 2

I think this setup would provide some versatile and interesting playing options. He would play this kit open-handed, which has a lot of advantages. The two different hi-hats can be different kinds/sizes, which would provide different sound options. The remote hi-hat would give some hi-hat playing options, though I imagine he would mostly use the closed/mounted hats. Toms to the left and right could be swapped out as desired.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder if something could be made to allow him to reach the bass pedal with the part of his leg that exist. Sort of like a light weight rod that could work a modified bass pedal. Drummers that play heel up use their thigh. He won't to be able to use his ankle for double beats. Standard beats shouldn't be to difficult. He could use a double pedal and use the left foot to assist in playing faster beats. I can't remember the name of it but I remember seeing a bass pedal on You Tube or a similar place that would hit when pushed down and it would hit again on the way up. He could get two beats in with one up and down motion. I found a link. There is a video on how it works there. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...dal?sku=445400

Last edited by bobdadruma; 03-19-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

You may want to correspond with this man. http://www.myspace.com/amputeedrummertuliofuzato
Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

With the technology out there now...almost anything can be done. The Mandala drum http://synesthesiacorp.com/ V2, hooked to a computer, can give you something like 128 different sounds off 1 pad. I imagine most drummers don't consciously get that many sounds out of their hi-hat, but in the sub-conscious/muscle memory, it just happens. Danny Carey runs 6 of these (I think) in his kit. The last few Tool albums are full of Mandala sounds in action.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Go to the link that I posted on #8. The amputee Drummers name is Tulio. He is from Brazil. He wants to help and also join DW. He is amazing! He will be an inspiration. He is now one of my Myspace friends. Here is a link to a video. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=52538906

Last edited by bobdadruma; 03-20-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlikealion View Post
I have recently spoken to an OT at my place of work who is working with a patient who has recently had part of his right leg amputated above the knee due to a sarcoma.

This patient is a keen drummer and along with all the other challenges he will now have to face in general life, he is eager to find out if he can still play the drums - with drumming being his passion in life it will be a very useful outlet for him.

There are plenty of suggestions that spring to mind e.g. playing the bass drum with left foot and sacraficing the high hats, or trying to play bass and high hats with left foot, altering technique so that feet/legs are no longer needed e.g. congas! When i had a broken leg i used to play bass and hi hat with my left leg (using double bass pedal) i remember this causing somes strain in my knee. Obviously he wants to find a way of playing that avoids future injury.

If anyone has had any experiences like this i'd be keen to know about them so i can feed it back to the OT and give the young lad some positive advice.
Ryan,

I have a friend here in Seattle named Al Adinolfi.
He's the owner of "Boom Theory" and specialzies in his own patented electronic drums, called "Space Muffins" (you may have heard of them).

I've been to his shop a few time and know that he has made at least one kit for a guy who was paralized and in a wheel chair, so he should be able to help your friend.

You can write to him at his website www.boomtheory.com. Tell him "Dean-0" sentcha.

Elvis
Old 03-21-2009, 01:24 AM

Hi Ryan,

One option he could try is to get in touch with Remap www.remap.org.uk who are a charity running a service to manufacture adaptions for people. They have 2 local panels one in manchester and one covering Bolton, Bury and Rochdale. The other suggestion I have is to speak to NABD http://www.nabd.org.uk/ (National Association of Bikers with a Disability) based in Wilmslow. They will know lots of small engineering shops who do adaptions for disabled bikers everyday and they might be able to help out with any adaptions or suggestions.

If you want to PM me my Wife used to be a Disability Employment Advisor in Didsbury and she'll have lots of contacts in and around Manchester.

cheers
Kevin