DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 AM

Default why are drums apparently "obnoxious"?

Alright, in this day and age drums are one of the most suppressed instruments. I'm not here to gripe, I want to know why. What is it about drums that people have trouble with? Perhaps that along with other percussion instruments, drums are kinda the only thing you cant play notes on. Well, I know you can tune to notes, but if someone asked you to give them an A, you'd laugh at their stupidity kinda thing. I seem to hear "they're loud" a lot... awesome isn't it? So what reasons do people give you when they tell you drums are annoying? If people think they are annoying, theres nothing much we can do about it, but I'm ready to find out what makes people think that. So what do you hear?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 AM

Default Re: why are drums apparently "obnoxious"?

Drums ARE loud, and obnoxious! That's what makes them awesome! But to answer your question, I think that some people get the misconception that drums are loud and obnoxious(in the bad way) because of some experience they've had with drums. For instance maybe they had to listen to a neighbor who is a novice drummer bash away randomly for hours on end. Who knows...
Old 01-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of well-defined melody inherent in the Western trap set. It's possible to play a set melodically, but most people don't play that way and when they do, the melodies are more subtle than, say a violin or piano.

Also, most drummers play way too loud. The music industry eggs this on, selling us gear to "cut through" the rest of the band, but with no consideration if that's what anyone else wants to hear. We have worked hard and loud to earn a reputation as oafs and we spend a lot of money on gear to keep it up.

The Western trap set is also a new instrument, maybe 70 years old in its current configuration, and that might be a factor. Western trap sets seem to reach their apex of creativity and potential in jazz, but jazz is a tiny segment of the market. It hasn't been the dominant form of pop music in more than 50 years.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

I had an experience at a clinic I did a while back that might help explain this. I was teaching at a band retreat, and there were 3 drum sets set up. The room was full of people. One of the drummers there, obviously inexperienced, got on one of the drum kits and began to play the easiest rock beat you know very badly and at louder than full volume. Everyone in the room jumps, looks at him like he's a jerk, and half the people start leaving the room. He stops, embarrassed, and walks away. I hopped on another kit really quickly, seeing this as an opportunity to make a point in the session I was about to give. I picked up the sticks and started to groove my butt off at a very quiet volume. I gradually got a little louder, but not too much louder. Some people started to notice and others started to bob their heads unintentionally. A crowd started to gather around the kit, so I started to show off a little, and the people got really into it for about 5 minutes until I stopped to begin teaching. The kid who played before me, almost as if this were scripted, came up to me right afterwords and asked why everyone seemed to like my playing better than his. Explained to him, and the drummers, that when you play the drums, think of it as a conversation or a dialogue. Do you want someone you don't know to start talking to you really loudly and keep this loud brash tone up, or would you rather they invite you into a conversation and respond to you, creating a dialogue? There are a LOT of drummers who don't play to charm an audience, but to "express themselves". There's nothing wrong with that, except if you want a captive audience. Another example is hearing drummers, like in certain music stores, that just play on and on and on while you're trying to shop or look around. To most people, they're being uncourteous to those around them. They're "getting their jollies out" or "showing off" without consideration for the people around them who might not necessarily want to listen to someone play at the moment. Think of it like the number of people who probably skipped this posting because it is very long and had no breaks in it. People just don't have the attention span to give others, even if the person is being sincere. They just see it as an inconvenience and will look for a simpler path (skip the post, go into another part of the store, etc...). It's a way of objectifying something that doesn't fit into your direct taste or path.

Done.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I had an experience at a clinic I did a while back that might help explain this. I was teaching at a band retreat, and there were 3 drum sets set up. The room was full of people. One of the drummers there, obviously inexperienced, got on one of the drum kits and began to play the easiest rock beat you know very badly and at louder than full volume. Everyone in the room jumps, looks at him like he's a jerk, and half the people start leaving the room. He stops, embarrassed, and walks away. I hopped on another kit really quickly, seeing this as an opportunity to make a point in the session I was about to give. I picked up the sticks and started to groove my butt off at a very quiet volume. I gradually got a little louder, but not too much louder. Some people started to notice and others started to bob their heads unintentionally. A crowd started to gather around the kit, so I started to show off a little, and the people got really into it for about 5 minutes until I stopped to begin teaching. The kid who played before me, almost as if this were scripted, came up to me right afterwords and asked why everyone seemed to like my playing better than his. Explained to him, and the drummers, that when you play the drums, think of it as a conversation or a dialogue. Do you want someone you don't know to start talking to you really loudly and keep this loud brash tone up, or would you rather they invite you into a conversation and respond to you, creating a dialogue? There are a LOT of drummers who don't play to charm an audience, but to "express themselves". There's nothing wrong with that, except if you want a captive audience. Another example is hearing drummers, like in certain music stores, that just play on and on and on while you're trying to shop or look around. To most people, they're being uncourteous to those around them. They're "getting their jollies out" or "showing off" without consideration for the people around them who might not necessarily want to listen to someone play at the moment. Think of it like the number of people who probably skipped this posting because it is very long and had no breaks in it. People just don't have the attention span to give others, even if the person is being sincere. They just see it as an inconvenience and will look for a simpler path (skip the post, go into another part of the store, etc...). It's a way of objectifying something that doesn't fit into your direct taste or path.

Done.

Excellent point Caddy! And I did read it all...but then again I do not always take the least path of resistance
Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

Here's my experience. Play a straight rock beat and try to dazzle people with blinding footwork or handwork and they generally get up and leave. Most non-drummers really don't care to hear us show off. It's just noise to them.

Now on the other hand, lay down a groove that people can't resist moving to, they will start looking your way and smiling.

Other musical instruments are melodic and can sound good to other people played by themselves by experienced musicians. Drums have to rely on rythms rather than melodies. Blinding fills do not satisfy most people's musical tastes.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Think of it like the number of people who probably skipped this posting because it is very long and had no breaks in it. People just don't have the attention span to give others, even if the person is being sincere.

yer but you could have made it into paragraphs, that would have made me read it!

saying that, i obviously did read the post. and yes i agree
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
. Western trap sets seem to reach their apex of creativity and potential in jazz, but jazz is a tiny segment of the market. It hasn't been the dominant form of pop music in more than 50 years.
I agree. And I've been waiting for something new for years, and the main innovation in drums I have heard over the last 20 years is pop stars replacing us with drum machines.............sigh
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

There is a time and a place for everything (so they say). And so, there are times when it's OK to be LOUD, and then times when it's not. And a lot of drummers don't know "when" or "how" to dial it back. You can play "in a band" or you can play "on top of a band".
Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 AM

As others have alluded to, I don't think its drums as an instrument that are obnoxious, I think its the DRUMMER. The thing is, it is very tempting to play the drums very loud and very fast. Would you sit around and listen to someone playing bass as loud and as fast as they could? What about a trumpet? Sure, some people will dig the bassist and trumpeter, but not everyone. Most people want to hear music, which generally consists of a melody, harmony, and a rhythm section. Any one of those can be good in solo, but it has to be above average for people to take notice.

One thing most drummers don't understand or accept is that the drumset is an instrument of accompaniment. Sure, we all as drummers like hearing 5 minute drum solos and such, but the other 99% of the population isn't as interested. The truth is, the drum set isn't supposed to be a solo instrument.

*dodges beer bottles*
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wert90 View Post
yer but you could have made it into paragraphs, that would have made me read it!

saying that, i obviously did read the post. and yes i agree
But, that would negate one of my points altogether! Thanks for reading.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Drums are like homosexuals. At first you are like "Ahhhh!!!! what is that! stop it!", but over time you realize that there is a lot more to it and that they deserve as much respect as any other person (instrument).

Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Whitedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcobra View Post
Drums are like homosexuals. At first you are like "Ahhhh!!!! what is that! stop it!", but over time you realize that there is a lot more to it and that they deserve as much respect as any other person (instrument).
I don't know about you, but my drums are not gay.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedrummer View Post
I don't know about you, but my drums are not gay.
Yeah but you don't know what they are doing when you're not around. I've heard things about your drums but let's just leave it at that.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica McCoy View Post
Yeah but you don't know what they are doing when you're not around. I've heard things about your drums but let's just leave it at that.
...I bet they're nesting like rabbits!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Gold Member

hmmm... all very interesting, it seems (in my experience) that people don't necessarily think that drums are "loud and obnoxious" more so the style of music/type of drums (acoustic, electronic....) my point being that in some of the lighter side projects i'm involved with they love my drumming as long as it on an electronic kit, most likely due to the fact it has a volume knob

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Drums are obnoxious. If obnoxious musicians play them.

Have you heard Paul Motian play drums?

If you haven't, please do. He will forever banish from your heart, this ugly association.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Drums are obnoxious. If obnoxious musicians play them.

Have you heard Paul Motian play drums?

If you haven't, please do. He will forever banish from your heart, this ugly association.
Good on you, mate.
I like that, straight forward. Drums are great for great people and musicians.

All The Best,
Old 01-09-2009, 06:37 PM

just in case - i dont think drums are obnoxious else i probably wouldn't play :)

too bad other people can't see it as the drummer not the drums. Most people I've ever talked to just don't care for drums at all. Like when people ask if i play an instrument, and I say drums, they go well uh.. do you play something like guitar??? :) its kinda funny. Anyways, the purpose of the post was to find out what non-drummers think, cause I've started asking people more about why they don't like drums, to try and gain drums some sort of respect (maybe acceptance) from the people I talk to :). Usually they can't figure out what they don't like about them other than "they're loud". I think secretly they're all harvesting hate against drums cause they can't figure out how to play them...
Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 PM

There is something inside every drummer that keeps going after everyone else has stopped. It is the metronome inside of us that constantly picks up the beat of everything around us.

In the car you start to formulate a pattern after the sound of the tires over the bumps in the freeway that repeat, or to the cadence of the turn indicators.

A ticking clock, the drip from a faucet, the sway of the trees in the wind, the pounding rain, thunder in the sky, the cadence of how people talk. These are all basic building blocks for how we construct the beat. And we keep the beat going long after the source has stopped.

When something begins to show the slightest signs of a pattern, we start building to or playing along with it. It is our nature. Without it, we wouldn't hold the beat when we play.

So the answer is simple, even though everyone else as stopped playing their instruments, drummers continue on after the melody has stopped.

And that my friend, to a non drummer, is obnoxious.

As for being too loud, play a venue that requires amplification and see what everyone says! You start off being the quietest instrument needing the most amplification to get to the proper level!!!

www.wolvesatthedoor.com
Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 PM

BTW are my drums gay? Who cares? I just want to bang on them all day!!!

www.wolvesatthedoor.net
Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

it's definitely the drummer that's obnoxious. I ran into my neighbors across the street while walking my dog. They're a retired couple in their 60's. They asked me if it was me or my brother-in-law that played the drums and said that they really enjoy it when i play. I was shocked by this and i could tell they were being sincere and not just neighborly evn though i spend a lot of time pounding away double bass blast beats. But i also play funky beats, some swing and latin to mix it up and develop chops so i think it's the variety that doesn't make me so obnoxious. On the other hand, even being a drummer, it annoys the snot out of me to go into my local guitar center (i hate shopping at the store, i'd rather do it online) and there's like a couple 13 year olds trying to show off their speed on the drumkits that are set up. To me, all they're doing is making untrained noise. For god's sake, i was playing Bonham and Peart when i was 13, these kids have never even heard of a paradiddle. It's almost like your level of skill legitimizes your use of louder dynamics.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
...It's almost like your level of skill legitimizes your use of louder dynamics.
I think it's also your amount of groove and your ability to tastefully (and discerningly) use those louder dynamics...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM

The only one that wants to hear a drummer play is a drummer....Or of course a bunch of drunk women (or men if you are gay or a woman!) at your show!!!

www.wovlesatthedoor.net
Old 01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

A lot of people just don't understand drums. They hear them on the radio and such, but that's all they think. And a lot of people have been exposed to novice or inexperienced drummers who just know one level to play - LOUD to VERY LOUD and it turns people off. And these people try to show off and end up sucking and making themselves look foolish.

I ran into a situation a few days ago at a rehearsal with a new leader. I was playing soft and trying to restrain my playing since we were surrounded by all brick walls. In other words, I didn't let loose simple because I knew my drums would blow every other sound away. The new leader thought I was only able to play rhythms on the hats. I was trying to follow the lyrics since it was the first time I heard that particular song and I didn't have any music. I was laying off and trying to hear the song. He want a "pop" sound on the snare, and a bit louder. I told him to start the song again. Ok, I let loose and played fills and was very, very agressive on the kit. I pushed the tempo a bit. After the song ended he looked in awe and said that was exactly what he wanted. I asked if it was too loud. Both he and our sound guy said it was perfect. yeah, sure....it was too loud in my humble opinion, but it's what this new dude wanted, so I delivered. But iI was listening in the audience, my ears would be hurting.....why in the hell do guitar players think they know everything????
Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

To the layman any instrument that doesn't play melody is obnoxious. If I come home to a quiet house even I can't just start playing at full volume right away. I warm up on my pad or with brushes or Blasticks first. Even if I attempt to play quietly, the drums sound loud at first. Imagine what they sound like to a person who doesn't understand what is being played. Another Point! Any instrument in the wrong hands can be a deadly weapon! The problem with drums is that everyone thinks that they can play them. People who wouldn't think of playing a guitar or a piano will sit behind a kit at a gathering in front of people without hesitation. I don't know the reason for this. It must be a primal thing in our Reptilian Brain! The same thing that makes a Librarian purchase a large 4x4 SUV when they would never think of driving in bad weather.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 AM

"Alright, in this day and age drums are one of the most suppressed instruments"

This is a really mindless statement.

I don't really understand why, in the big picture, people are agreeing with this... saying that drums are even considered "obnoxious" today? I guess I can see how, on a very microcosmic level, people could think badly of a drummer or drumset because he/she is playing in a non-musical setting (i.e.: just banging around in the backyard), but in terms of percussion's actual prominence in society, I only see drums as being probably the most accepted, welcomed instrument in the world today.

Consider it: The Baroque Period (1600-1750) was especially kind on the strings section; The Classical Period (1750-1825) saw the increased use of large orchestras; the Romantic Period (1825-1900) was a time for solo pianists to shine; and for the former half of the "Modernist" Period (1900 - aprox 2000), atonal music, pointillism, impressionism, picture music, and pretty much any and every type of cultural music was explored, leading to the prominence of many new instruments. But in the 21st Century, what is perhaps the most important, central element of any POPULAR song/genre? Percussion. Rap would be unintelligible without a beat, Reggae likewise, Jazz is extremely dependent on both the bass and drums as timekeeping machines, rock isn't rock without a screaming maniac behind a drumkit.... the list goes on. Almost every imaginable genre of music that has emerged in the last 70 years features drums as an incredibly important instrumental element.

Now, 300 years ago... people would be telling a timpani player to use softer mallets. THAT'S an example of people finding drums "obnoxious."
Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 AM

I don't remember if it was a forum member who said this, but it was "Most bands like the idea of a drummer, but not the reality.". Funnily enough, someone today told me about the loudness of drums (not complaining) in reference to his wanting to learn how to play.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 AM

Someone mentioned trumpet playing earlier, and since I also play the trumpet, I think I can draw a good parallel here.

I suck at the trumpet, and no one in their right mind would want to hear me play. Why is that? The tone produced by the trumpet player can be either ugly or beautiful, and that tone which is produced is entirely dependant on the player. No 2000 dollar mouthpiece and 4000 dollar trumpet can make a novice sound good. The simple fact is that the muscles controlling the embouchure must be strengthened to a certain point to allow this tone to be produced, a tone which makes people want to listen to you.

What does this have to do with the drums? Drums are the exact same way. You say: "What? No. You CAN buy a 4000 dollar drum set, and it will sound good." I say, put a person who has never played before on, say, Jeff Ballard's set, pefectly tuned, and it will sound like someone who has never played before playing Jeff Ballard's set, not like Jeff Ballard. My point, which has been stated before I think, is that any instrument played by an amatuer sounds obnoxious.

I remeber when Gord Foote gave me a perfect illustration. I was playing drums for a student big band which he was directing, and I had to play a two bar break. Being that at the time I had little experience with such things, I played triplets. One dynamic volume, no accents, straight through the two bars, with 1 and 3 on the high and low toms. He stops the band and says "What are you trying to say? Say something. If I say to you, So Dan, what do you say? Are you going to say: uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh? No, you're going to say something interesting, with inflection. Play a sentence."

On the other hand, recently at a student Jazz retreat/camp thing, I was complimented very highly by the drum instructor, which really confounded me, because I have no chops, haha. I saw what he meant later when I listen to the performance on record: every quarter note on the ride cymbal was accented evenly, and placed evenly, and the tempo remained the same for the entire 5 or six minute span of the tune. I'd venture that it even swung. So really I guess you could say that a drummer's groove is like a trumpet player's tone. I guess my point is that if you're saying something then its interesting, and if you'rejusttalkinglikethis... then it isn't, its obnoxious.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

I think popular culture has associated drums with LOUD, crazy, obnoxious, annoying and hyperactive. As a kid, I watched Animal hammer his drums on The Muppets...later on, I watched hair-metal maniacs do the same thing to their drums. As rock music skyrocketed to popularity we watched Keith Moon hammer and then physically destroy his drums. Later on, the grunge kids were doing the same thing. It has since degraded to Meg White ;)

It's an attitude and a paradigm. In all fairness, other instruments get the same bad rap (e.g. violin, horns, electric guitar, "recorders", etc.)
Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton_C View Post
"Alright, in this day and age drums are one of the most suppressed instruments"

This is a really mindless statement.

I don't really understand why, in the big picture, people are agreeing with this... saying that drums are even considered "obnoxious" today? I guess I can see how, on a very microcosmic level, people could think badly of a drummer or drumset because he/she is playing in a non-musical setting (i.e.: just banging around in the backyard), but in terms of percussion's actual prominence in society, I only see drums as being probably the most accepted, welcomed instrument in the world today.

Consider it: The Baroque Period (1600-1750) was especially kind on the strings section; The Classical Period (1750-1825) saw the increased use of large orchestras; the Romantic Period (1825-1900) was a time for solo pianists to shine; and for the former half of the "Modernist" Period (1900 - aprox 2000), atonal music, pointillism, impressionism, picture music, and pretty much any and every type of cultural music was explored, leading to the prominence of many new instruments. But in the 21st Century, what is perhaps the most important, central element of any POPULAR song/genre? Percussion. Rap would be unintelligible without a beat, Reggae likewise, Jazz is extremely dependent on both the bass and drums as timekeeping machines, rock isn't rock without a screaming maniac behind a drumkit.... the list goes on. Almost every imaginable genre of music that has emerged in the last 70 years features drums as an incredibly important instrumental element.

Now, 300 years ago... people would be telling a timpani player to use softer mallets. THAT'S an example of people finding drums "obnoxious."
Thank you very much for writing that post. Couldn't have said it better myself. I find the concept of this thread to be ridiculous. Are you a musician whose instrument is the drums, or are you just a drummer? If you're the former, no problem. If you're the latter, big problem, and you're probably playing obnoxiously, for the simple reason that you're not a musician, you're a "drummer," whatever the hell that is.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:58 AM

I have rededicated my playing to help non-drummers understand the musical qualities of a drum kit. If a drummer can keep the beat, AND play the melody at the same time, people do pay attention. Drums need to be recognized for the tonal characteristics they have, and not just relegated into the background as a beat box.
People don't realize how much good drumming they hear as part of their daily lives. TV commercials, movie soundtracks, all feature top notch drumming "musicians".
I personally don't like to hear obnoxious drumming myself. But I do enjoy a good drummer giving a song exactly what it needs to groove.
Drums are MUSICAL instruments!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Pioneer Member

It's mostly because they are loud and not melodic like a guitar or piano. The general person doesn't hear a melody so it's nothing but noise and not music to them.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Silver Member

I'm gonna be short in my response. My drum teacher says, "The number one job of a drummer is make the band leader comfortable". If the band leader wants you to play loud then bash away! If the band leader wants you to play soft then tap away!

As far as people thinking drums are obnoxious, I dunno. People have always said they enjoyed my drumming or maybe they're just being nice to me because they know of my challenge. I certainly I hope they sincerely enjoy it because I hate being patronized.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 AM
mutant

I really don't think drums are truly obnoxious, what it comes down to is how fundamental a role they serve in music. Drums were the first instrument and are really the most important.

With that kind of importance comes an almost overwhelming degree of responsibility for the drummer. You have to be aware of what everybody else is doing at all times.

The problem is that because drums seemingly function primarily in a supportive role, sometimes other non-drummers will treat them of overall lesser importance (which is WAY more obnoxious :).
Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 AM
blade123

Because they are. Like it or not, drums ACCOMPANY. Drums aren't really fit for a solo instrument.
Granted, a good drummer can play behind a set and make it sound beautiful, but a beginner or just an OK drummer is simply...annoying.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton_C View Post
Actually, back in the day, brass players and timpanists were the most revered musicians in an European court... mainly because they had the capacity to play loudly and thus create an air of majesty, grandeur and power.

...or that's what I've been told by a revered historian.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade123 View Post
Granted, a good drummer can play behind a set and make it sound beautiful, but a beginner or just an OK drummer is simply...annoying.
You don't think that this applies to all instruments, or are you just particularily fond of the sounds created by, say, beginner violinists?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
blade123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
You don't think that this applies to all instruments, or are you just particularly fond of the sounds created by, say, beginner violinists?
It applies to all instruments, but some more than others (violin, drums, tuba, trumpet).
Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade123 View Post
It applies to all instruments, but some more than others (violin, drums, tuba, trumpet).
I will attest to this. I got more complaints from my family when I was learning the sax, than when I was learning/playing the drums.