DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Default What kind of drummer are you?

I tend to see different kinds of drummers as in mentality, all with different profiles and habits, here are some which I identified (in my opinion):

Rhythm/Chop Drummer:

The aim is to be able to play really good chops and have a brilliant technique. Also he doesn't really pay attention to small details as long as the groove in the song sounds good.

Musician Drummer:

This kind of drummer is the one that wants to know exactly what he's doing, usually he is able to read music and understands what the other instruments are doing. He might not be obsessed with technique as the rhythm drummer but is more focussed on playing the right thing at the exact right time.

Gear Drummer:

This is the drummer that most of all cares about how much or what gear he has. The first thing that comes to his mind is the setup, and how many cymbals, toms etc. he has. He mayh still be a very good drummer though.

One Style Drummer:

This is the kind of drummer that is only focussed on one style for example rock, and does not consider to play anything else besides his style. He listen only to his style and usually looks at other styles of music as a totally different world from his.

Jack of All Trades:

The name I gave it might be misleading. This is a very versatile drummer that focusses on achieving an authentic sound for each style without the necessity of mastering any. He is able to play numerous styles without sticking to one.

These are just a few........Which one of these are you and can you identify any other kinds of drummers?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Rebel

Default Re: What kind of drummer are you?

Hello, All.

A heavy and powerful drummer with passion, always open to learn and teach something new everyday.

Cheers,
Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

As I read your original post, I thought to myself, "Wow, that's me!" for the first three (Rhythm/Chop Drummer, Musician Drummer, Gear Drummer). I'm kind of like the Jack of All Trades as well, but I feel as though I've attained a reasonable level of "mastery" of several styles. Well, enough of a mastery to get recommended for gigs again and again, at least.

I prefer the term "drummer incarnate" or "absolute drummer" or "drummer extraordinaire". Yeah, that's the ticket! :P

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

I've been trying to figure this out for about thirty years. I constantly play with different people to try new styles. I would have to say that the Jack Of All Trades fits best. I used to play in Rock cover bands that tried for note for note. I liked the feeling of getting it right so to speak but I did tire of it. I like playing in jam bands but I also like some consistency I can't have things to loose. I also like R&B, Country, Blues and Jazz. I do like to mix all these styles together when I play. I don't buy every piece of equipment that I see but I am proud when I get something for the kit thats pricy. Cymbals are my weakness. I also like to perfect my chops. It must work for me because people keep asking me back to play with them.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 AM

gotta say i think i'm mostly rhythm/chop.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 AM

I just play haha I have no clue what to classify myself as.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:48 AM
blade123

Musician and jack of all trades.

I try to be as well rounded as possible, that includes learning (about) other instruments. I can only play drums and a bit of piano, but I learn how other instruments work.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

Gear drummer, nothing like taking pride in your setup.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

I think I'd be a musician drummer. I hope so.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 AM
jay norem

For the entirety of my career I've been the musician drummer, whatever was called for I could play it, but now I'm pretty much the one style drummer, jazz being the style. I have my own band that plays my songs. I'm okay. Lately I've been more focused on writing music than drumming.
I'm certainly not the chops or gear or jack-of-all-trades drummer.
I'm a one-style-basically-okay jazz drummer. But I'm a good cook! You should try my fried chicken and sausage gumbo...MAN!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Gold Member

Impulse drummer. Anyone, anyone?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:50 AM

I think I'm both rhythm/chops, and a musician drummer.

Don't bash the Ringo Starr my friends of Drummerworld
Old 09-03-2008, 04:24 AM

Aahh I think I am a combination of a Musician Drummer and a Jack of All Trades.

I always care what the other instruments are playing and sometimes I'm trying to give them some tips too ^^

Also I try to play every style. Lately I've been to some Jazz but unfortunately my dynamic feel as far as Jazz is concerned sucks(but I keep trying).

But above everything I like to feel the GROOVE.

Ofcourse I have a little of a Gear Drummer in me. Is there any drummer that's not concerned about his/her gear?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

im going to have to say Jack of All Trades..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 09-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Silver Member

Self Indulgent Drummer - A drummer who thinks he's really awesome when in reality he's a pile of sith.

I come across a lot of those in jam studios.

Well, going by your classifications, I'm a Jack of all trades, leaning towards one style (jazz) while being also a rhythm/chop musician drummer.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 AM

I'd say I'm a rhythm/chops drummer.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
Impulse drummer. Anyone, anyone?
OK - I've got to agree with 805 here, Totally Impulse. I like to try my hand at anything and everything which kind of sounds like "Jack of All" except for I'm not good enough to classify myself as being adept at any kind of Trade.

I love music and the hand-eye-coordination-timing challenges of drumming puts me at ease. And the COOL TOYS. How can you tap on a jam block and not think about where it would fit in your kit.

I've also met alot of musicians - Drummers are by far the least messed up of all.
Guitarist - "Look at me. Look at me. I'm nothing without attention."
Bass - "Man, I'm cool and you can't out-cool me."
Singer - "I don't mean to brag, but I'm even more needy than the guitarists."
Drummer - "Heh, look at this neat riff! Try this, it's FUN! Oh-oh, looks like the rest of the band needs a break. Think I'll go play with these others until they decide to go back to work."
Old 09-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedrum View Post
I tend to see different kinds of drummers as in mentality, all with different profiles and habits, here are some which I identified (in my opinion):

Rhythm/Chop Drummer:

The aim is to be able to play really good chops and have a brilliant technique. Also he doesn't really pay attention to small details as long as the groove in the song sounds good.

Musician Drummer:

This kind of drummer is the one that wants to know exactly what he's doing, usually he is able to read music and understands what the other instruments are doing. He might not be obsessed with technique as the rhythm drummer but is more focussed on playing the right thing at the exact right time.

Gear Drummer:

This is the drummer that most of all cares about how much or what gear he has. The first thing that comes to his mind is the setup, and how many cymbals, toms etc. he has. He may still be a very good drummer though.

One Style Drummer:

This is the kind of drummer that is only focused on one style for example rock, and does not consider to play anything else besides his style. He listen only to his style and usually looks at other styles of music as a totally different world from his.

Jack of All Trades:

The name I gave it might be misleading. This is a very versatile drummer that focuses on achieving an authentic sound for each style without the necessity of mastering any. He is able to play numerous styles without sticking to one.

These are just a few........Which one of these are you and can you identify any other kinds of drummers?
Hmm, I don't fit exactly into any of the choices given.

But . . . I'd say I'm a "song" drummer first, but I give it as much raw power and big drum tone as I can. I'm hoping that if you heard me play you would think "powerful time keeper" and not miss any "chops" that a more technical drummer might be able to fit in.

I try to stay solid and if that means less notes, so be it. But with less notes comes more tone and authority. I'll kick the bejezzus out of 2 or 4 notes rather than sound wispy on 8 or 16 notes. The power is more important to me.

So wherever that fits me in . . .
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
Hmm, I don't fit exactly into any of the choices given.

But . . . I'd say I'm a "song" drummer first, but I give it as much raw power and big drum tone as I can. I'm hoping that if you heard me play you would think "powerful time keeper" and not miss any "chops" that a more technical drummer might be able to fit in.

I try to stay solid and if that means less notes, so be it. But with less notes comes more tone and authority. I'll kick the bejezzus out of 2 or 4 notes rather than sound wispy on 8 or 16 notes. The power is more important to me.

So wherever that fits me in . . .
I'd say I'm close to this. I try to blend into the music and support the song as best I can. I also like to lay into the 2 and 4 and drive the music when it's needed. But in your category's I'd probably fall into a one style/rhythm & chops drummer. (And of course a bit of a gear hound).

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM

I'd have to say I'm a mix of Rhythm/Chops, Musician and Jack-of-all-trades.

To clarify, when I was in high school, I was definitely an all-chops-all-the-time kind of dude, my rudiments just had to be faster, cleaner, more powerful. My study block was an hour and a half chops fest Monday to Friday. Lunch, breaks, after school, all spent trying to shred rubber on my pad.

Being in the middle of a classical percussion degree currently, the Musician has definitely taken over. I can now play piano, marimba, vibes, timps, guitar, bass, violin... with enough proficiency that I'm comfortable jamming with anyone I know. And when I'm behind the drums, I just totally lose myself in the full-band sound, whether I'm rocking the funk jams, swinging a jazz group or doing the orchestral gig. I'm too the point where a lot of the time, I'm barely conscious of what I'm about to play - I'm just reacting to and supporting the music of the people I'm playing with.

And I have to say I'm a Jack-of-all-trades as well, because hey, I have to be - I teach four nights a week from absolute beginner up to way-out-there jazz!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM

musician drummer... I hope.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Musician Drummer

I say that because I always seem to be at my peak when playing in a group and feeding off of the ideas of others. It's also when I feel the most comfortable behind the kit.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Rhythm/Chop Drummer:

Musician Drummer:

Gear Drummer:

This is the drummer that most of all cares about how much or what gear he has. The first thing that comes to his mind is the setup, and how many cymbals, toms etc. he has. He mayh still be a very good drummer though.

One Style Drummer:

This is the kind of drummer that is only focussed on one style for example rock, and does not consider to play anything else besides his style. He listen only to his style and usually looks at other styles of music as a totally different world from his.

Jack of All Trades:

The name I gave it might be misleading. This is a very versatile drummer that focusses on achieving an authentic sound for each style without the necessity of mastering any. He is able to play numerous styles without sticking to one.

I would be more of a jack of all trades.

How about you? Since you're asking us, why don't you tell us what kind of drummer you think you are?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:47 PM

Impuse drummer

I play along to pretty much anything i'll listen, Opeth to Alphabeat, Battles to Kayo Dot.
I know very little of the technical side to drums, i cant read music, nor have i ever had a lesson.
Most of my drumming is improvised, either along to music or with my band, and my drum parts to them are created as we practise the song for the 1st time in practise.
I do what i like on the drums, because if i was ever taught anything i'd lose interest in playing within a few months.
Not Jack of all trades as like mallendion said, i dont consider myself good enough.
I wouldn't even consider myself a drummer, just someone who f**ks about on the drums.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 PM

So by special request (you are right I must have been the first to answer this), here is what kind of drummer I think I am...

I see myself as a blend between the musician drummer and the jack of all trades. I tend to play lots of styles and also try to understand whats happening exactly.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Fat, clumsy and sweaty...with an alarming lack of musicianship and dubious timekeeping abilities...probably an unemployable jack of few trades....
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Rhythm/Chops with a focus on dynamics. Always moving the accents around.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
Fat, clumsy and sweaty...with an alarming lack of musicianship and dubious timekeeping abilities...probably an unemployable jack of few trades....
ROFL, I am with the fat guy....especially since I am FAT as well! I am anal when it comes to things like this, I am a noob and I MUST, MUST know it all when it comes to music, I have to read it, know it, understand it, feel its nuances and then master it...so I am the kind of drummer who has a LONG WAY TO GO in a relatively short amount of time!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Jack of all trades striving to be a musician...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Rhythm/Chop Drummer:

...and I thought that the groove is in the details...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 PM

I have been considering the terms of "conceptual drummer" or "meta-drummer". I want some of aspects of drumming that I am contemplating and performing to enter a dialog with other behaviors like creating sculpture or sex.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
...and I thought that the groove is in the details...
Precisely. It's all in the details. Why have chops if you can't make anyone dance?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Bad drummer.

Probably a musician drummer, I'm really into song writing in my band... also a gear drummer... I love me some gear.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 AM
TheGroceryman
This message has been deleted by TheGroceryman. Reason: double post
Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cable View Post
ha... I've probably never seen a fat dude who played drums and was bad. they always seem to have insane groove......

oh and i consider myself mainly a musician drummer with a little bit of rhythm/chops in him. I think i have pretty good chops, a decent fill vocabulary, but i know when to hold back and i try to make the song sound as good as possible.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

What kind? The good kind.

I tend to favor musicality over chops most of time. So, musical drummer. But I love my gear too.... tough to pick. I wish I could blur the lines like my favorite drummers do.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Im the type that drives people nuts with tapping my hands, sticks, pencils on any hard surface around me whenever i hear a song with a groove i even remotely like.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Im the type that drives people nuts with tapping my hands, sticks, pencils on any hard surface around me whenever i hear a song with a groove i even remotely like.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Pioneer Member

I want to be a musician, full stop.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Well dressed and game.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Half rhythm/chop drummer and musician drummer i guess. Im not sure which one I'm more to. xD