DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

Default Warm up routines

When you are seated at the kit, what is a favorite warm up routine?

I'm just now getting back to basics by warming up with single and double stroke rolls, flams, and the 5 stroke roll. And snare routines leading with me left hand since I use my right now to lead most everything. Which is funny since I'm left handed and write left handed. Then since I'm using more matched grip now, I'm doing eighth note, triplets and sixteenth note fills across the kit to get my left hand used to matched grip on the kit.

Last edited by rogue_drummer; 02-10-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Warm up routines

I don't like seeing drummers warm up onstage so I don't do it. Even if the lights are down. Spoils the illusion for me. Adjusting drums, tuning drums....that's different. As far as any playing at all...I want to see them turn themselves from off to on, right when the music starts. Nothing before hand. But that's just me and don't take away points if I see others do it. Just a personal preference. I warm up my muscles on the drive to the gig.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I don't like seeing drummers warm up onstage so I don't do it. But that's just me and don't take away points if I see others do it.

I was thinking about doing a full on 10 minute loud drum solo while the guitar players are setting up. (I saw a guy do this at a local jam)

But I decided not to, I thought it would be tacky.

However, since Larry wonít take away any points if I do it.........
Well shoot ! Iím gonnaí try it.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Before I play anything, I stretch. Even if only for a half minute or so, but I really need to stretch. I'm big and clunky. If I skip that my muscles gang up on me right away.

As far as technique, I'm just taking my first baby steps with that stuff.
I usually just find a really simple song, around 80~90bpm and loop it for a while, playing along with no fills, and switching up between the actual beat and some basic one strokes on the snare.

But, usually I lose my concentration in ten minutes and end up doing some horrible fills and cringing at myself
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

First off.. BRING A PRACTICE PAD to the gig. lol... I usually have one at the merch table and take it backstage or whack away while sitting at the table before the set.

I do singles, doubles, singles on one hand then the other for a while.. just getting warm.. then maybe a few rudiments.. Its mostly to warm up. not a practice session... once those singles are flying as fast as I can my hands are warm...
Old 02-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Yup. Practice pad, 8-on-a-hand for a while, then a few rudiments. Throw the feet in a bit, too, when I feel like it.

I like to go from 8 to 1 and back up, different numbers on each limb. Like 8 8th notes on the right hand, 7 on the right foot, 6 on the left hand, 5 on the left foot, etc. Just loosens everything up.

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com
Old 02-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Sorry my mistake. I meant to ask what is a favorite warmup routine on the kit while you practice? Personal practice time.

As in how do you start off personal practice time behind the kit? Any favorite warmup exercises/routines?

(... and I misspelled 'write' before...geez I'm getting senile....)
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 AM
Gold Member

Peter Erskine has a cool snare warm up. Start with one beat on each hand, then two on each hand, then 3 on each, 4, 5 and so on until you reach 10 beats on each hand then come back down and do 9 , 8, 7....
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
First off.. BRING A PRACTICE PAD to the gig. lol... I usually have one at the merch table and take it backstage or whack away while sitting at the table before the set.
I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to make sure you're relaxed on stage, but if I was going to do that, I'd prefer to do it somewhere more private. But hey, that's just me.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:06 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I don't really have any warm up routines I do at home. I just start playing whatever it is I feel like doing that day.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 AM
Gold Member

I usually stretch out, get that stuff out of the way; then the first thing I do is improvise. Maybe hold an ostinato (jazz, bossa feet? boom-chick?) to set limits and try to play musically and with form, while practicing all of those rudiments and etc. we all know and love. After around 15-30 minutes of digging deep for ideas, I feel very loose and creative.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I don't really have any warm up routines I do at home. I just start playing whatever it is I feel like doing that day.
Agreed!

I pretty much just dive in head first and let the musical currents be my guide.

During the cold winter months though, I will wash my hands in warm water so they're nice and toasty. Otherwise, I'll get a bad cramp along my thumb running into my palm in my left hand. It hurts like hell to play my hi hat when that happens.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:09 AM

I've been doing Alan Dawson's Rudimental Ritual as my warm up for the past few months. I also do Joe Morelllo's singles/doubles/paradiddle warm up starting with my left hand and also his bass drum warm up. I enjoy having various warm ups before launching into the rest of my practice session - it reminds me of going to the gym: initially I hated doing sit ups but then over time I'd just nerd out on the moment and look forward to doing them. I used to be that way about warm up exercises drumming and now I really look forward to them and see the difference they make.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

I like to take a two hour nap before I play so that my brain is sharper and my hands are better. I just dive right in and start playing.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

If I've just been sitting around before playing, the first thing I do is about 30 calf raises to get my legs warmed up. Then just play slowly and speed up for about 2 minutes. I know I'm done warming up when I feel speed and timing both kick in.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

I get warm enough playing the first song. When did people start geting so anal about playing the drums?

What about the pre warm up so you dont pull a muscle during the warm up?

Its now proven, by top athletics coaches and doctors, that streching before excercise has very little benefit, streching after excercise prevents muscle stiffness.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
Sorry my mistake. I meant to ask what is a favorite warmup routine on the kit while you practice? Personal practice time.

As in how do you start off personal practice time behind the kit? Any favorite warmup exercises/routines?
For me, it starts with stretching. Drumming is a physical activity, and a warm muscle/tendon is an efficient muscle/tendon. I always stretch slowly, pay attention to what my body is telling me, and NEVER BOUNCE. I disagree with those who say you don't need to stretch or warm up before vigorous activity. It may not be *necessary*, but I have done it both ways, and find a good stretch/warmup helps me immensely. For one thing, I feel pain in short order if I just jump right in, which I don't if I warm up first. For another, my warmup routine demands I center and focus. I suffer from a slight case of ADHD, and find I perform *much* better after a focusing warmup routine.

My routine is simple and takes less than ten minutes.

First I do a few yoga sun salutations (pictured below). NB: I skip step 13. ;-)

Then a routine for my arms/hands similar to the one described here.

When I sit down at the kit, it's the same routine I outlined above, just on different surfaces of the kit. I start slow and soft, increasing the speed and power as I get my body used to the motions of drumming again after a break. I end up using exaggerated motions, where I try to do things like make the stick motion humongous but control the actual strike so it's no louder than pianissimo.
Attached Images

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com

Last edited by STXBob; 02-11-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: what I wrote first was piss-poor shite
Old 02-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

And they say Americans dont have a sense of humour. lol.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:34 PM

I practice a few basic rudiments just to get these old hands working, then a few basic fills or tom runs to get my mind used to leading with the right hand (I'm naturally left handed) to avoid any awkward hesitation or pauses when you realize the sticking would've been better the other way around.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I get warm enough playing the first song. When did people start geting so anal about playing the drums?
Perhaps when they started getting a bit older and more acquainted with the laws of gravity, or had physical issues that need dealing with?

I strained my back pretty badly with no apparent reason a couple of years ago, and I was in pain for a few months. I found out all it takes to prevent that stuff is a couple of minutes of warming up and making shure you got your posture in order. I guess it's not that cool to stretch or whatever... But it feels good and that's all that matters.

If you don't need to warm up, good for you!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poika View Post
Perhaps when they started getting a bit older and more acquainted with the laws of gravity, or had physical issues that need dealing with?

I strained my back pretty badly with no apparent reason a couple of years ago, and I was in pain for a few months. I found out all it takes to prevent that stuff is a couple of minutes of warming up and making shure you got your posture in order. I guess it's not that cool to stretch or whatever... But it feels good and that's all that matters.

If you don't need to warm up, good for you!
Not at all, I am 63 and I have had a bad back for years, but it has nothing to do with drumming, I damaged it at work. Gardening or digging are what sets it off, but I have physio excercises that sort it.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBob View Post
For one thing, I feel pain in short order if I just jump right in, which I don't if I warm up first. For another, my warmup routine demands I center and focus.
This is exactly how I feel also. Get your body loose and your mind tight, that's the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Not at all, I am 63 and I have had a bad back for years, but it has nothing to do with drumming, I damaged it at work. Gardening or digging are what sets it off, but I have physio excercises that sort it.
Like I said, good for you. Now if I really wanted to act like an ass I'd throw in an semi-insulting remark about the connection between gardening and back pain and how I've never really seen the connection myself, therefore rendering anybody anal who is doing physical exercises to prevent back pain issues related to gardening.

I know it's the internet and all, but what's with all the attitude?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poika View Post
This is exactly how I feel also. Get your body loose and your mind tight, that's the trick.

Like I said, good for you. Now if I really wanted to act like an ass I'd throw in an semi-insulting remark about the connection between gardening and back pain and how I've never really seen the connection myself, therefore rendering anybody anal who is doing physical exercises to prevent back pain issues related to gardening.

I know it's the internet and all, but what's with all the attitude?

Chill out. Its got nothing to do with attitude or taking a pop at anyone. The OP was "Warm up Routines"

I was pointing out that back in the day, long ago it seems, people just played the drums and enjoyed it.

Now? Oh you must have a warm up routine ( Warm up has nothing to do with managing an injury, that is another issue entirely) If you want or use a warm up routine then fine, but dont claim its esential, unless of course you have health issues.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

I don't think anybody said that you have to have one. Nor did anyone claim it to be essential in any way. This is merely a thread for people who have found them to be helpful in one way or another to exchange and share ideas in.

Thank you for your input
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 PM

I personally find it very beneficial to get some blood flowing to my muscles and to slightly increase my over all body temperature before taking the band stand.... or before a recording session
I like feeling loose and warm

I usually do something medium tempo and relaxed ... lately it has been these flam tap/flam accent variations for about 10 minutes before getting behind the kit

something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFkOhrtT0U

Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 02-13-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

the past year I have spent about 15-20minutes a day working on doubles on the bass. Start with true double strokes then progress to a hybrid Heal toe/slide.. my double bass is alot faster at 52 then it was at 22. Though I don't need super fast double bass in the band I'm in now, I'm trying to keep up with my 17 year old son while he shreds on guitar when we jam together.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:10 PM

I always warm up. No matter what. I do a few basic wrist stretching exercise as well as exercises with the sticks that loosen up my wrists.

Then I start by doing single stroke rolls on the snare and then all the way around the kit. I repeat that process for doubles and single paradiddles. I then work on my feet by playing constant 16th notes on the bass drums while playing various beat patterns with my hands and some basic fills. Then I finish it up with grooves. The grooves are whatever I'm feeling at that particular time or maybe something I had been practicing previously that I wanted to make sure was still fluid.