DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you own (or want to own) both acoustic and electric kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natewest View Post
i own a electric and acoustic kit.my electric kit broke about a year ago though and i dont plan on getting another one i just really didnt need it
I will say it again then. If "you" dont need an e-kit for quiet practice then you are lucky, and in a minority. Just dont claim they are not necesary for most people who dont have access to a dedicated soundproof practice space.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I will say it again then. If "you" dont need an e-kit for quiet practice then you are lucky, and in a minority. Just dont claim they are not necesary for most people who dont have access to a dedicated soundproof practice space.
I have to agree!
When I lived in germany at my parents house I had my own home studio in teh cellar and could practice basically any time I wanted to. Apart from night time.

Now that I moved to London I can't practice real drums anywhere apart from Uni - and the rooms are constantly booked.

So I got myself a Roland TD30kv (2nd hand) and I have to say it is quite good!
- No, the pads don't feel like real drums
- Yes, the sounds are REALLY well triggered - If I close my eyes and let my imagination flow I could imagine playing a real kit.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:40 AM

I was at a gig last night and the drummer happened to be using an electronic kit. It is an annual festival near where I live and every year I can remember the drummer has always used an acoustic.

I was very dissappointed with the way it sounded in the mix, the snare had no body or life, I couldnt hear the kick (drummers fault), and the cymbals sounded incredibly artificial. I am pretty sure it was a td20 as well. From a mix perspective I was impressed with how controllable the stage volumes were and the foh had much more flexibility. Anyway this just proved to me how unsuitable electronic kits are for live situations. But everyone has personal preference in regards to what they like to hear, feel, play, environment, pack up and setup, and also budget wise, so depending on what factors they value more then they will always use whatever they choose. But I am still yet to see an electric kit that sounds better than an acoustic kit live.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:28 AM
Platinum Member

I've owned e-drums in the past.

I don't see myself buying more any time soon.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I hate when people say they don't like how an ekit sounds

ANY ekit can sound amazing with VST's..

and its like having a few hundred kits with infinite options at your finger tips..

what you can complain about is the feel.. but the silicone and mesh are not too bad for myself.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

I'm on the fence on this one. I have a TD-6V with rubber pads and it's fun but I've been thinking of selling it and just going with mesh heads on acoustic. I actually did list it late last year but people were low-balling me and it just didn't seem worth it to sell for crap money so I kept it. Sold some extra stuff I had (2 mesh pads and a TD-3 module). The mesh just never seemed to trigger well IMO with the TD-6V and I actually prefer the rubber pads with that module. E-kits can be a great tool but I just don't know if they're for me after all. Maybe I'll eventually make up my mind, lol.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Renegade

I'd like to have the latest Rolands or Yammies but I don't have the space to set them up, given that my acoustic kit already rules my lounge room.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 AM

I own both, well 3 acoustic kits and 1 Ekit.
I love my Alesis DM10, i have converted it to mesh heads and its great to practice on, i can get home from work at 7pm and jump on and play for an hour or 2 and not annoy anyone. I have close neighbors so I dont play my acoustic kits at home, I wait all week to play my real kit at practice.

I do find my hands are way behind what they would be if i played only acoustic kits. I find myself faster on the electric and then struggle sometimes when warming up my hands on the Acoustic.

But for all the issues and hand speed. I wouldnt give up my electric for anything. it lets me practice.............
and dam when i plug it into my laptop and run "Addictive Drums 2" it sounds soo good!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
I hate when people say they don't like how an ekit sounds

ANY ekit can sound amazing with VST's..
Indeed, though most of the audible complaints I have read on the forum have been about the ambient acoustic sound of the kit. For example; People purchasing a DM10 expecting to be able to practice in an apartment with headphones and having the neighbors call. Some kits are apparently not as quiet as people expect.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:44 AM

I own a Pearl DRUM-X electronic kit, because I am nostalgic for the eighties. I hardly ever play it. I'm also looking I to buying a ddrum kit, since I am nostalgic for the nineties, too.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:16 PM

It depends on your personal situation. Personally, I get a lot of use out of my electric kit. It's not even a particularly good one, it's a 15 year old pintech kit. First, I use it to practice since I tend to keep my acoustic kit torn down in my garage so I can transport it to gigs and band practice. It's also nice because I can play it after my daughter goes to bed and it makes minimal noise.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a mis-mash of acoutic/electronic stuff.

Yamaha DTX Multi-12.
I use this almost every day. Sometimes just as a metronome, sometimes with sticks and pedals as a portable kit, and sometimes with hands.

I recently sold a Roland HPD-10, because the DTX works just as well with hands, and I have acoustic bongos and a portable conga.
Those were the sounds I used most with the HPD.

Roland SPD-30 is more responsive and sensitive with sticks than the DTX, but I don't use it as much.
It doesn't work as well with hands, and is a bit more limiting in other areas compared to the DTX.

Also have a DTX 500 module and triggers. I tried these, but don't like how they affect the acoustic tone of my drums.
I also hooked up some rubber pads to it, but don't use it that way much.

All that said - I've never had or seen the need for an actual e-kit. I'm very much satisfied with the multi-pad sets.
Also I way prefer my acoustic drums, and use them a lot more than the pads (except for at night, when I use the DTX Multi).
Old 02-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I have both. I have a Yamaha DTX950k (the top of Yamaha's line) that I just upgraded to before Christmas from an older Yamaha e-kit. I'd say I use the e-kit for 95% of my playing, and just use my acoustics for gigging.

At home, when I'm learning new songs for playing with the band, I plug my ipad directly into the module and can play along with the songs. Also if I just want to warm up, or work on general grooving, I can just jam along with the built in tunes. Also I can play with the built in metronome functions which work much better than running a metronome through headphones while playing acoustic drums.

I have neighbours and a girlfriend, so yes playing the acoustics at home tends to irritate everyone around, so I am very limited in practice time if I wanted to play at home.

For band practices, we use a jamhub system, so everyone is plugged in and playing through headphones. Fantastic sound, you can't hide behind the wall of sound from the other guys. Also it allows us to record the entire rehearsal, for review later. Nothing like listening back to your playing to hear every little mistake. It also ends pretty much all band arguements because it's all there on the tape.

A buddy of mine has a little studio setup in his basement, and I take the e-drums over to record drum parts onto some of his demos for him. The sounds I get directly out of the module are terrific for his purposes.

Setup time for my edrums and the acoustic drums are pretty much identical for me.

Now I don't use the edrums live just because of PA system issues. In that, I don't know what they will have for a PA in lots of venues I go to. Does everyone have monitors? Can the PA handle the low end? I think that any venue where I'd be fully micing the whole drum kit, it'd go just as well with the e-drums. but if I don't know what's going to be there, I can't take the chance.

Also usually the biggest complaint are the cymbal sounds. We tend to be pretty picky about all the little nuances about snare sounds, and cymbal sounds, which makes perfect sense in listening to them in isolation. But when you listen to a band with all the other instruments playing, most of that gets completely washed out or buried by everyone else in the band. So I really think people make a big deal over almost nothing.

Also when you buy an edrum kit, you don't have to race out and buy $150 worth of new heads to go along with it. And sticks last a bit longer as well.

I think something that gets glossed over is that yes, the cheap ekits, are pretty limited, but if I'm spending $700 on a new edrum kit, or $700 on a new acoustic drum kit, + new heads, + cymbals + hardware, I'm not going to get very good quality acoustic stuff for that budget either.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:05 AM

I have both. My e-kit is a Roland TD30. While the a-kit and e-kit do not feel the same at all, I have found that the better I get, the quicker I can move from the electric to the acoustic without having to get "used to" the change.

For me, the primary benefit of the e-kit is the ability to work on mundane things for hours on end without making my wife and kids suffer through it. Perfect for working out new songs, practicing rudiments and stickings around the kit, and independence exercises.

I know I would be a much lesser player today if I did not have my e-kit.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

I have lots of acoustic kit and a few pieces of electronic gear (DTX multi 12, pads, pedals etc). I have owned 2 electronic kits over the years an analogue kit was my first kit in the previous century and more recently, a mesh hedded kit for practice/home recording. Both lasted only a few months before they were replaced with acoustic "real" drums- the biggest issue was always the lack of dynamics and subtlety. The electronic stuff, fun though it is to muck about with, is just that. Its just not expressive enough, even at the highest price point. I will happily use it to add sounds to my acoustic kit if required, but if you asked me to do a gig with only electronic gear, unless there was a compelling control or space issue, the answer is always going to be no.