DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 PM

Default Do you own (or want to own) both acoustic and electric kits?

I'm thinking of buying a second kit. One to practice on when my other half is relaxing and not wanting to hear my painfully poor drumming - so obviously I'd go for an electronic kit. I'm relatively new to drumming and have only played my much loved Mapex Saturn IV MH Exotic in Black Burl (I'm just boasting here, it's a stunner!)

Just wondered if many other people had both an acoustic and an electronic kit and whether you played both regularly and if not, if that because the e-kit just can't compare?

Would I end up with the electronic kit just gathering dust or is it worth getting so I can practice exactly when I want?

Do I have to pay an extortionate amount just to get something even vaguely close to the beautiful Saturn loveliness?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: Do you own (or want to own) both acoustic and electric kits?

At my stage of the game, anything electronic is akin to buying a Nordic track exercise machine. I'd be all into it in the beginning, but a few months down the road it'll become something I hang clothes on.

I think you would save a lot more money by just getting yourself a little Pearl Rhythm traveler practice kit since it comes with cymbal mutes and mesh heads and practice on that. It'll be a little more bouncy than your regular drums, but that's closer to your acoustic drum feel than a bunch of rubberized pads would feel, so your technique doesn't really change.

De-program yourself that you have to hear some kind of drum sound when you hit something. If you're practicing, the tactile feel of the kit is more important, and this will translate better to when you actually play your real acoustic drums.

Of course, you can do what you want, but for my money, the rhythm traveler makes more economic sense.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

I've seen three avenues that people take:

1: They buy a cheap eKit (Example: the $300 Behringer) as a practice-pad set. They sound wonderful if you think of them as practice pads and not as a drum kit. In the same vein, Chef Boyardi Ravioli are delicious if you think of them as dog food and not as real ravioli.

2: They buy a mid/high range eKit so that they can use it as an eKit or add eKit components to their acoustic kit in a hybrid setup. It's probably the most flexible.

3: They convert an acoustic kit to an eKit with SilentStrokes and Gen16's. There are some pretty positive reviews on the forum of this configuration in that it 'feels' more like an acoustic kit than an e-kit.

I have a funny feeling that there's no right or wrong answer, and it's purely personal preference. I'm probably going to end up with Option #1 in a bit.

Last edited by KamaK; 02-06-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

I started out playing on a Yamaha Xplorer kit that Mr Madge gave me for Christmas one year, as a surprise. He did his research, and it ticked all the boxes in terms of realism/value for money.

By Easter I'd bought an acoustic kit. I kept the e-kit for a few months because I thought it would come in handy if I ever wanted to practise when other people were home, but Mr Madge and our offspring learned to ignore me, and in fact said offspring simply don't wake up (they're late teens/early 20s).

If I could afford a REALLY good e-kit, I might get one, and I can see why people do. But there's always the impact noise, and from what I've been told, that is actually less ignorable than the noise an acoustic kit makes.

It may be that more depends on one's neighbours than on the people who share the house. Barking dogs are WAY more irritating if they belong to somebody else.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

If I didnt have an e-kit I would only get to practice at band practice, and thats not what band practice is for.

People can bang on all day about e-kits not being the same as an accoustic kit, we all know that, It matters not. Set up the pads the same height and distance apart you have your drums and cymbals and its great home practice, and the only practice I can get cos I live in a normal house with other people and neighbours.

Trying to suggest that an e-kit's pads have anywhere near the same volume as an accoustic kit is simply ridiculous.

If people are so worried about the pads not feeling like a real drums why do they also advocate spending hours on a practice pad?

The e-kit is a great practice tool if you dont have daily access to a practice studio. Buy one.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Hi
I got myself a Roland TD-something 4 years ago with the goal of practice at home; since we share rehearsal room with 2 other bands and it is not very close to home I do not get there more than once a week. Soundwise the Rolands are very good and the mesh pads are actually quite good too, but it is NOT like playing an acoustic kit, it takes a long time to adapt to playing the a-kit after hours spent on the e-kit. And they make some noise too. Still, they keep me somewhat in shape although I guess a practice pad would do that to. But that wouldn't be as fun!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
2: They buy a mid/high range eKit so that they can use it as an eKit or add eKit components to their acoustic kit in a hybrid setup. It's probably the most flexible.
This would be why I buy any e-kit or e-components. I do a lot of theater work and it would be great to not have to carry around tons of percussion toys to get certain effects, or to have access to sounds of instruments whose size would not permit their use. However, nobody would probably agree that a pad can replace an acoustic instrument in all circumstances, and I treasure the nuance and variation that can occur endlessly with the acoustic instrument.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Let's put it this way.

I did what you're talking about, built myself a roland system from parts and ebay. For a few months, the novelty was really fun, but honestly, at this point, I don't even plug it in. I play the pads as if it were a practice kit. Mis-triggers, cross-triggers, dropped notes, poor dynamics and lack of really being able to pull sounds from various things got old quick.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

I have yet to find a quiet yet faithful reproduction of a drum set that does not create bad habits when used extensively.

True sound insulation is a time and $ consumer...and renting makes it fairly impossible to eliminate any sound emanating that might upset a partner trying to relax.

I tried very hard for 30+ years...sucks to not live someplace where you can make noise.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
If I didnt have an e-kit I would only get to practice at band practice, and thats not what band practice is for.

People can bang on all day about e-kits not being the same as an accoustic kit, we all know that, It matters not. Set up the pads the same height and distance apart you have your drums and cymbals and its great home practice, and the only practice I can get cos I live in a normal house with other people and neighbours.

Trying to suggest that an e-kit's pads have anywhere near the same volume as an accoustic kit is simply ridiculous.

If people are so worried about the pads not feeling like a real drums why do they also advocate spending hours on a practice pad?

The e-kit is a great practice tool if you dont have daily access to a practice studio. Buy one.

I have to agree with this. Since I bought my ekit, a Roland TD 11kv and added an extra crash cymbal to mirror my acoustic kit set up, I have put much more time into practice without annoying my neighbors and more importantly my wife. The practice has easily translated to my acoustic kit playing with no "feel" issues.

I spent far more money on a drum studio in our last house. The Roland kit is a small investment compared to the money I spent modestly soundproofing my garage in our prior home. Sure, I would love to have another studio, but even there I could not practice into the night like I can now.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

I have both - actually I have 3 acoustic kits and a set of Td-9 V-drums. While the electronic kits cannot match or replicate the feel of acoustic, they do offer some benefits. I can practice late at night on the electronics. The electronics also allow me to record my practice sessions so I can listen back and critique my playing.

I use them for practicing. So for my purposes, the V-drums do not take the place of acoustics any more than a practice pad would take the place of a snare drum. But it does offer another option for practicing late and allows you to easily record your practice session.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

There are times when I can't play acoustic drums. That's when I play my electronic drum kit. I'm happy, the neighbors don't complain. It works well for me.

I also like having about 50 drum kits sounds to choose from on the ekit. They sound different and I can change kit sounds in moments.

Last edited by No Way Jose; 02-06-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Gold Member

I have an older TD-12 and also acoustic and both get plenty of use. LOVE my e-kit and have become a better drummer for having played and practiced with it for almost 8 years. Never replaced a pad or anything.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I have no desire for an e-kit. For what they cost to be worthwhile I could buy a great acoustic and mega cymbals. My playing time is limited but still like acoustic drums.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

I had 4 kits recently. 3 accoustic and 1 electric. (too many) lol

When i first got my TD20 i used it so much.. as time went on it would be the td20 or my pearl masters..

with 3 kits its even hard because i can only play one at a time... if your doing it to keep noise down it will work.. then live drumming use the acoustic.

I loved mine, use some VST programs for sounds and they sound just as good as an acoustic kit and the flexibility is insane. I even used it to record a full album and it sounds amazing.

I guess the guy saying he had misstriggers and issues didn't have it set up right or didn't have a high end one perhaps.. I never had miss triggers or any problems.

start off with a cheap one used.. if you like it you could always upgrade.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, I got to make a bit of a statement here:

<stands on soapbox>
Electronic drums should not be thought as "a practice instrument." Its a completely different kit with greater imaginative capabilities, sounds, composition aspects, etc. than an acoustic kit could ever bring to the table. Do you think an acoustic guitar player buys an electric guitar "to practice on"? Does a pianist buy a keyboard to practice on? No. They buy the other instrument as a means of creating music that they never could with their acoustic counterpart. Electronic instruments are not a replacement for their acoustic counterparts, and should not be looked at as some sort of quiet practice instrument because their volume can be controlled with a dial. They are different instruments and should be used for the creative possibilities they offer. Please, before you begin shopping for an electronic drum kit, ask yourself if you are looking for something to expand your musical possibilities with sounds you can't get with your acoustic kit, or do you just need something to practice rudiments and sticking on without disturbing others around you. Because if its the latter, just buy a practice pad, or put mutes over your acoustic kit and save yourself the money from buying another instrument.
<get off soapbox>

Now that I have that off my chest, I have both electric and acoustic kits. Both are great tools. One does not replace the other. They offer different creative possibilities and I think owning both is a fantastic idea to create fantastic music.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:24 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Not entirely true. Guitarists buy electric to be heard in large venues or for louder types of music. I will go out on a limb and say that most e-kits are used for practice or for low volume situations, not for large venues or metal music. The comparison just doesn't fit. I have never seen an electric kit by itself for large rock venues and have never seen a guitarist in the basement with headphones on his electric guitar. Apple and oranges.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Not entirely true. Guitarists buy electric to be heard in large venues or for louder types of music. I will go out on a limb and say that most e-kits are used for practice or for low volume situations, not for large venues or metal music. The comparison just doesn't fit. I have never seen an electric kit by itself for large rock venues and have never seen a guitarist in the basement with headphones on his electric guitar. Apple and oranges.
Nope... cant agree with that at all. Do you really think rock 'n roll would still be played on an acoustic guitar if it was only played to small groups in small rooms? They can mic and amp acoustic guitars to play huge arenas, but electric guitars are used why? Because its easier to plug in to an amp? Nope. It's because the acoustic guitar is not giving the sound and creative possibilities that the electric guitar brings to that genre of music.

Different instrument. Different sound. Different creative possibilities. One is not better than the other nor will one replace the other. They both serve different purposes and can create different music.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:37 AM

No interest in an e-kit here. I'd rather spend the $$ on another acoustic kit meself - I already have two kits in my postage stamp sized apartment, and with the possibility of moving to a house in the summer it opens the floodgates to having room for more!
Old 02-07-2015, 01:46 AM

I got a Roland about 8 years ago after a long hiatus from drumming. I lived in a townhome attached to another unit on both sides and was beyond rusty. I was not fit for public consumption. To be able to practice on not just pads but on a true kit config was invaluable, and an acoustic with mufflers would not have fit in our space. When we had guests I just moved the ekit to the closet so I could open the futon.

Eventually I set up my a-kit at our band's practice site and was able to leave it there with the Roland at home. Since we were a cover band, being able to play with my iPod through headphones allowed me to have songs ready when we got together. My wife could hear some "thumping" when I played, and the neighbors never heard a thing.

Now I have my 7 pc set up in a nice practice space in my basement. I can play it knowing it doesn't disturb our neighbors, but there are still plenty of times when I play on the ekit. I have small children who won't sleep through acoustic drums, and a wife who doesn't want to hear them at 10 at nite. The ekit is still good for learning covers, and I use the metronome with both kits. When she is upstairs my wife can't even tell I'm playing.

It's great for original work too. I use it to record groove ideas and I plan on getting a MIDI adapter so I can use it with garage band.

Obviously my ekit has been good to me. On the cons side I'm tall so it's kind of cramped for me (the other side of the portability coin). And of course the feel is different. I've had some trigger issues so I wouldn't want to rely on it for gigs, but it's also 8 years old and I've given it a beating. In my current situation I would probably start with drum mutes d/t the $, but back when I got the ekit it was my only real option. It was great to have then and still is now, for the same reasons and more.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdowner View Post

1) Would I end up with the electronic kit just gathering dust or is it worth getting so I can practice exactly when I want?

2) Do I have to pay an extortionate amount just to get something even vaguely close to the beautiful Saturn loveliness?
1) My A kit collects dust. Since I picked up the E drums three years ago, I have logged hundreds of hours that I simply could not have played on the A kit.

2) You could use your Lovely kit with a simple conversion.

Mesh heads and triggers are about $40 per drum. You will need E cymbals (($60 each) and a module ($100 to $700 used)

You could also pick up a $100 off brand kit and convert it.

Either way, don't waste money on tiny E pads. It is as simple as this: Remove head, install crossbar and trigger, install Remo Silentstroke haeds and plug it in.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:31 AM

I have got a stage custom set, and a roland with a td9 brain and mesh heads on all the drums. I have had my acoustic for 6 years and electric for around 3, and I use them both equally today.

I can use my electric kit to practice late at night, and for band practices it is great, I can put it in the back of the car in one piece, and plug straight into the PA.

When I really want to dig into the real drums I obviously go to my yamaha, and it is also great. The acoustic kit is also my gigging kit, but for band rehearsals and late night practice Ill always go for my electric kit.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:35 AM

I have a high end e-kit and 2 acoustics, and sadly my E kit is in the closet collecting dust.

To me, gigging with it never felt or sounded right. Set-up was a pain. Practicing with it wasn't as much fun either. It lacked eye appeal and took too much time away from practice while I tried to figure out all of the functions. Functions I didn't need anyway.

The only reason I'd do it again and buy an e-kit, and the only reason I don't sell my e kit, is that someday I just might need something quieter to play on. So, if your goal is to reduce the noise levels while practicing and as you already have a great acoustic, I say give it a try and get an e-kit. But go used and go basic because there is a good chance it'll end up in a closet somewhere despite your best intentions.

Last edited by Skyking; 02-07-2015 at 02:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-2015, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Okay, I got to make a bit of a statement here:

<stands on soapbox>
Do you think an acoustic guitar player buys an electric guitar "to practice on"?
I get what you're saying, but it is an unfair comparison. Beside the fact that no acoustic guitar is going to produce 120db, electric guitarists will purchase a POD to practice on so they don't have to play through their JMP. There's even entire lines of 5-15watt practice amps that are designed for bedroom use.

Pianists most certainly do purchase keyboards to practice on. They even make keyboards with a faux piano tactile response on the keys specifically for pianists to practice on.

I understand the spirit of your argument, and agree that they are two different instruments in the same way a keyboard is not a piano and an electric guitar is not an acoustic guitar.

For me, eDrums are either $300 glorified practice/trigger pads or $5000 bleeding edge tech that's really close to where it needs to be. I'm not particularly fond of the middle ground (DTX5XX and TD1X), because they fall so far from the high end (TD30) and are way too expensive to be practice or trigger pads.

If I'm wrong, and you do know of a 120db acoustic guitar, ping me immediately, as that would be AWESOME.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleBuster View Post
I have to agree with this. Since I bought my ekit, a Roland TD 11kv and added an extra crash cymbal to mirror my acoustic kit set up, I have put much more time into practice without annoying my neighbors and more importantly my wife. The practice has easily translated to my acoustic kit playing with no "feel" issues.

I spent far more money on a drum studio in our last house. The Roland kit is a small investment compared to the money I spent modestly soundproofing my garage in our prior home. Sure, I would love to have another studio, but even there I could not practice into the night like I can now.
I did the same thing for the same reasons and also bought a Roland TD 11KVS and purchased an extra cymbal pad. I live in a Townhouse and wanted the flexibility to play at any time of the night I wanted to. I would never consider taking this kit or any portion to any of my gigs. I do have a Yamaha DTX Multi 12 that I use for effects, added percussion, loops and a Click source.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

I began my drumming journey on a Yamaha DTXpress III because I had younger kids and didn't want to irritate the neighbors. The kit served me well for several years. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the overall sound I wanted or express myself the way I wanted on that set. 2 1/2 years ago I bought my acoustic drums and and began my acoustic drumming journey.

Let me tell you (and everyone else), playing acoustic is 1,000,000 times better.

The Yamahas sat in the room without being played for a couple months when I decided to sell them. I thought that I would miss them once they were gone, but I never gave them a second thought. The money I got for the e-kit went directly into my acoustic set.

Acoustic, the only way to go!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:54 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Nope... cant agree with that at all. Do you really think rock 'n roll would still be played on an acoustic guitar if it was only played to small groups in small rooms? They can mic and amp acoustic guitars to play huge arenas, but electric guitars are used why? Because its easier to plug in to an amp? Nope. It's because the acoustic guitar is not giving the sound and creative possibilities that the electric guitar brings to that genre of music.

Different instrument. Different sound. Different creative possibilities. One is not better than the other nor will one replace the other. They both serve different purposes and can create different music.
You just agreed with all of my thoughts. Still waiting for someone ole Bozzio or Mangini to break out the progressive creativity on stage with an ekit
Old 02-07-2015, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...and have never seen a guitarist in the basement with headphones on his electric guitar. Apple and oranges.
I also play the guitar and sometimes when I play my Strat, I plug my headphones into the amp so only I hear my playing - which outstanding, BTW - look out Clapton! No headphones for my acoustic guitar, though - that would just be silly.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 AM

For myself, I live in a condo and bought a high-end TD-30 module and high-end pads that I actually mount on regular drum stands - emulating my acoustic setup physically. My personal ekit usage is two fold: 1) Practice at home without disturbing the neighbors and 2) Recording studio using triggered VST high quality samples (Toontracks SD2), into DAW - but with real cymbals. When I play out at gigs, I use the acoustic kit. For me, both serve my purpose well. If I did not have e-kit I would not have opportunity to practice at home on a kit (non-starter), nor would I have the flexibility of the recording drum parts and the ability to substitute / replace samples post recording. To note: I have experimented with playing ekit live and even bought a set of Diamond Drums (acoustic drum shell converted to e-drum triggering to look like real drums - google them, they are really cool) for that purpose. But, the live setup time with wiring and carrying heavier monitor and EQing the sound for the room (both on stage monitors and FOH), took too much setup time and tweaking. Not worth it for me, personally. So I gig with all acoustics - with or without mic-ing depending on the room. So, as others said it depends upon your personal situation and usage. There is no right or wrong.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:

And yet this is from your personal page. sounds like you bought an e-kit for practice.

" This just doesn't bode well for apartment living. So I had to start looking in to electric kits if I ever wanted to play. After much research over all the different brands and the different models"
Old 02-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And yet this is from your personal page. sounds like you bought an e-kit for practice.

" This just doesn't bode well for apartment living. So I had to start looking in to electric kits if I ever wanted to play. After much research over all the different brands and the different models"
Thats true, I did say that. I have had a bit of an epiphony within the last few weeks regarding my e-kits. There are lots of people out there who buy electronic kits because they want a quieter means of play, or want some sort of training tool like a metronome to play along to. Many of these people can be content with their electronic kits because their expectations are being met. Then there are the people who buy electronic kits for practice and who want all the aspects of acoustics kits (sound, feel, subtle nuances, infinate dynamics, etc.) in an electronic kit. These people tend to be never satisfied because they are expecting a direct replacement of their acoustic instrument. They always complain that they cant do what they can do on their acoustic, that they are forced to play differently, that practicing on the kit doesnt help because it doesnt translate back to their acoustics, etc. Overall these peolle say, its not like the real thing and that acoustics are the best. Many of these people site poor technology in the module, small pad sizes, cramped racks and all sorts of other things. These people believe the e-drum manufacturers are out of touch with what drummers want and tend to rely on their old ways to continue pushing out products that never advance to being closer to an acoustic kit.

I began to think about this and thought, maybe its not the manufacturers who are out of touch, but instead its the drummer. Acoustic guitar players have electric guitars, pianists have keyboards, upright bass players have electric bass guitars. These musicians look at their respective acoustic and electronic instruments and see two different tools that provide different playing experiences, different sounds, and different creative expressions. They dont complain about one being better than the other, because they realize they are not in direct competition with eachother. They are two different instruments used for different things.

Drummers, for some reason, are looking for an electric kit that will directly mimic everything their acoustic kit will do. They are so blind to all the different creative possibilities an electronic kit brings to the table. In the end electronic kits fail to get the attention and respect they deserve because drummers cant get it through their heads that this is a completely different instrument to create music you wouldnt be able to make with a standard acoustic kit. As I mentioned in a previous post, electronic kits wont replace acoustics. They should be looked at as two different instruments for greater creative expression.

Thats where my thinking has been going for the past couple weeks and I have to say it makes a lot of sense. It makes me want to use different sounds on the module, different effects, loops and playback features, etc. This is why I am trying to tell potential buyers of electronic kits to not think of them just as a means of quiet practice only to go back to their acoustic kit for "real playing." Electric kits can do so much more.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

As a means of showing what is creatively possible with ectronic kits that could never be done with an acoustic, heres a little performance from Johnny Rabb:

http://youtu.be/T6ADZNHVg5Q
Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 PM

I have 2 acustic kits and one Roland TD9-KV e-kit. For me, it's the only way I could get any practice done at home, I live wall-to-wall with my neighbour. But the e-kit still produce too much impact noise for me to be able to practice for a long time, with my girlfriend in the same house. Could possibly soundproof the room a bit better, but I only really use it if I'm all alone, and have nothing else to do. So the e-kit doesn't get all that playing time unfortunately, but I really appreciate to at least have the opportunity to practice at home, and it's far better than not to practice at all (my acustic kits are at my band's rehearsal place, 1 hour of driving away from my house). I could never pull of regular practice pads, just gets way too boring for me... I need some sound feedback :)

But this is actually my 3rd e-kit, the other 2 was sold mainly because I didn't use them much and needed the money. So I definately understand you guys saying that it could end up as a really expensive cloth hanger... Now I have the economy to not have to sell some luxury stuff to survive though, so I will try to keep the one I have as long as possible, if not only for the convenience of practicing at home, even though it should get way more use than it does at the moment. The e-kit would be the first thing I would sell though, if money became an issue again...
Old 02-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
As a means of showing what is creatively possible with ectronic kits that could never be done with an acoustic, heres a little performance from Johnny Rabb:

http://youtu.be/T6ADZNHVg5Q
There is no doubt the electronics can can provide many sounds as demonstrated by Johnny, but all of that sampling and loops can be done with a synth or keyboard then accompanied with acoustic drums. And for probably 8000.00 that Johnny is sitting behind, I could have a great acoustic set and a decent synthesizer.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I began my drumming journey on a Yamaha DTXpress III because I had younger kids and didn't want to irritate the neighbors. The kit served me well for several years. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the overall sound I wanted or express myself the way I wanted on that set. 2 1/2 years ago I bought my acoustic drums and and began my acoustic drumming journey.

Let me tell you (and everyone else), playing acoustic is 1,000,000 times better.

The Yamahas sat in the room without being played for a couple months when I decided to sell them. I thought that I would miss them once they were gone, but I never gave them a second thought. The money I got for the e-kit went directly into my acoustic set.

Acoustic, the only way to go!
Lucky you. I have no issues with what you say, no one is suggesting an e-kit is a substitute for a drum kit, It is a quiet, compared to accoustic drums, practice aid. Most of us need one to get any amount of home practice.

If you can sell your e-kit well lucky you, you must have a dedicated practice space that means you dont upset your family or indeed your neighbours, with the noise, or you live alone in a detached house in the middle of a field.

And yes, the e-kit has had a massive effect on my drumming, all good. It has improved leaps and bounds cos I am able to practice every day, at home.

For band practice, In a studio, and for gigs, a real accoustic kit every time.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

No interest in electronic kits. They have their place and are well played. I just don't see Charlie playing them.

GJS
Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There is no doubt the electronics can can provide many sounds as demonstrated by Johnny, but all of that sampling and loops can be done with a synth or keyboard then accompanied with acoustic drums. And for probably 8000.00 that Johnny is sitting behind, I could have a great acoustic set and a decent synthesizer.
And you as a drummer can be completely replaced by VST software and a keyboard, so whats your point?

These are tools that a drummer can use to be more creative in his/her playing. The idea is for the drummer to be in control of this creativity. Played on their kit with their instrumentation choices, their sticking/inflection and their musical/rhythmic style.

Building a hybrid kit with an SPD-SX is a cool thing to expand what you can create with your acoustic kit, but you are still playing with an acoustic kit that will only make acoustic sounds. That's fine, but when you can use another instrument, like electronic drums, to bring in mixed, layered or processed sounds, sounds with effects, loops, start/stop, etc. you open your possibilities even more.

Again, acoustic and electric kits are two different tools to use for different creative possibilities.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Another point I wanted to mention too, since I've been doing this for a while, going the electronic route (if you're a working drummer) is like owning computers. You will always be upgrading to new modules or searching for the new and different sounds. Whereas, I show up with an actual drumset, and everyone just accepts that for what it is. Kinda' like being the piano player, your worth is in what you do with the notes and sounds you have, rather than always making sure you have sounds nobody else has.

A lot of people say that old Roland TD-10 module is so dated. Well, back in the day when I bought it with the V-Drums for under $6000, it was state-of-the-art. Roland has upgraded their state-of-the-art now four times since then. I don't have $2000 to spend every time a newer module comes out. But how cool am I when I show up with a set of 1964 Slingerlands to a classic rock gig?

Don't get me wrong, cutting edge is cool. I'm just always bleeding when I do it ;)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

As I said, I own a set of V-drums and use them quite a bit for late night practicing. So what I am about to say is simply an observation - not anything against electronics.

I do understand that electronic kits could be used on stage as well. But there obviously are tons of electronic kits sold every year. Yet very few live bands that I have seen (club, outdoor gigs, concerts, etc.) use electronic drums. I guess one may theorize that a majority of the people that own electronic drums use them for practice, not gigging.

Maybe other forum members see electronics on stage more frequently. I do know that many churches use them to keep the volume at a moderate level. Some Broadway pits and Rockettes show use electronics kits now too. In fact, when I saw the Rockettes Christmas show, all percussion instruments (including timpani and mallet percussion) were electronic.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2015, 11:01 PM

i own a electric and acoustic kit.my electric kit broke about a year ago though and i dont plan on getting another one i just really didnt need it