DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Default DW news

Ok so 2 things i just read, firstly a press release from DW on the gretsch buyout. Thought id caps things that struck me.

Both myself, my son and everybody at drum workshop are really excited to have the opportunity to MAKE and distribute Gretsch Dums. That means we're going to be responsible for giving you that great gretsch sound. The gretsch factory is going to stay the same, theres a passionate group of people down in south caroline that make the drums now and there goign to continue to do that. Youre going t be seeing a lot of really exciting things that were going to be doing together

Secondly DW are releasing a dynasonic...
"True-Sonic"
Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Default Re: DW news

Which is almost exactly what Kraft said when they took over Cadbury's in the UK (obviously about chocolate and not drums!), and look how that turned out.

I'm still a long way from being convinced that this will be good for Gretsch.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like Gretsch was already struggling enough to be bought out by DW.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

DW did not buy Gretsch, they only acquired the US (& Canadian?) distribution from KMC. The fact that they're going to make the shells is just a bit of opportunism and an additional way to make money from the competition. As it happens, it's also the second time they're pulling business out of Keller's mouth: DW began making their own shells 15+ years ago and stopped sourcing from Keller (except 26" and larger, I believe.) Not that Keller was supplying a ton of shells to Gretsch, but I'm sure they're not happy about the change at the hands of the company that pulled out once before.

FYI re the snare, DW isn't the first to copy the old Rogers concept of a bridge/frame. Maybe 20+ years ago, Rhythm Tech introduced their Active Snare system with the same approach. They still offer it - http://shop.rhythmtech.com/c/accessories_active-snare

Bermuda

PS: GEWA :)
Old 02-07-2015, 05:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxla View Post
Sounds like Gretsch was already struggling enough to be bought out by DW.
As mentioned, DW does not own Gretsch, just certain rights and licenses.

Fred Gretsch still owns the Gretsch name.

But yes, Gretsch was on the verge of being no more when they signed on with Kaman 15 years ago.

Gretsch still owes me a commission fee for a snare drum I sold that they made my client wait 6 months for, before deciding, they just didn't feel like making the snare drum anymore and canceled the order. That is how inept Gretsch was in the late 90's. And that's just one story based on my working for 3 different Gretsch dealers.

If they hadn't started selling off rights, I fully believe the company would have gone out of business a long time ago.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Am I wrong to be concerned about the typos and grammatical errors in that statement from DW? Sorry... I couldn't help but notice them...lol.

I'm still optimistic that Gretsch will get much needed marketing and inventory management improvements. The question is what will come of the products? To me, Gretsch feels like a niche product and one that I like. How will Gretsch go into the future? Will they try to innovate? Will they try too much innovation and lose their loyalists? I'm not a Gretsch historian, but others seem to think Gretsch lost it's way some time ago.

What would you guys like to see from Gretsch?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
Am I wrong to be concerned about the typos and grammatical errors in that statement from DW? Sorry... I couldn't help but notice them...lol.
The press release in the OP is originally audio/ video only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukU_9LhQ3s

Someone (possibly not dw themselves) did a poor job of transcribing it.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder if DW has anything to do with Gretsch guitars.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Re: the Truesonic snare: is this like a 'full circle' thing when newer companies just reproduce what's been done before? Why do I get the feeling that if Ludwig didn't survive, someone would be re-releasing a Super-sensitive?

This is what they do in Hollywood with movies, they keep regurgitating old ideas, or take the idea and give it a 're-boot'. I know we're just talking about drums, and perhaps every idea has been tried and proven, but why not just tell us your new snare is a Dynasonic? I think the buying public would get on-board with it better because it's like you're paying homage to a great idea from a once great company. Instead, they make like it's their idea in the first place.

The situation kinda' reminds me of the Eagles with Don Felder, then the Eagles after Don Felder, where they don't even acknowledge he was ever part of the group!

Maybe I'm being harsh.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

The addition of fine tune adjusters on the snare frame may help, but My experience with those designs is a fail. I tried the rhythm tech on several snares, and I think it is still in a drawer in my shop somewhere, just a useless POS.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:44 PM

so does this mean my USA customs are going to spike in value?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Given the fact that the name Gretsch may lose some power, your USA's may lose value. Only time will tell.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Re: the Truesonic snare: is this like a 'full circle' thing when newer companies just reproduce what's been done before? Why do I get the feeling that if Ludwig didn't survive, someone would be re-releasing a Super-sensitive?

This is what they do in Hollywood with movies, they keep regurgitating old ideas, or take the idea and give it a 're-boot'. I know we're just talking about drums, and perhaps every idea has been tried and proven, but why not just tell us your new snare is a Dynasonic? I think the buying public would get on-board with it better because it's like you're paying homage to a great idea from a once great company. Instead, they make like it's their idea in the first place.

The situation kinda' reminds me of the Eagles with Don Felder, then the Eagles after Don Felder, where they don't even acknowledge he was ever part of the group!

Maybe I'm being harsh.
Not harsh. Their ad says a new take on a classic, so it is just a rerun. But the DW crowd will fall all over themselves to buy one to go with their 1000.00 double pedals.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Not harsh. Their ad says a new take on a classic, so it is just a rerun. But the DW crowd will fall all over themselves to buy one to go with their 1000.00 double pedals.
That silly DW crowd.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

The only thing more idiotic than spending $1000 on pedals is generalizing people who buy a product because you choose not to.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Given the fact that the name Gretsch may lose some power, your USA's may lose value. Only time will tell.
USA's made bf the buy-out (or bf that of an official DW meddling date is determined) will probably increase in value.

It'll probably take insiders to let us know if/when the first batch of GRETCH drums are made with DW produced shells.

The fact that DW has stayed with the CAMCO turret lug should prove some of their loyalty to keeping the heritage aspect in tact.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:17 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
The only thing more idiotic than spending $1000 on pedals is generalizing people who buy a product because you choose not to.
You bought them. Didn't YOU?!?!?!

;)
Old 02-08-2015, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

I have never seen a brand that invokes so much passion, both positive and negative. I find it very interesting.

And that active snare thing was a flop at least for me, and I too have one floating around.

I do have a brass pre serial number 14x5 us per sensitive, sounds amazing
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 02-08-2015, 02:22 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I have never seen a brand that invokes so much passion, both positive and negative. I find it very interesting.

And that active snare thing was a flop at least for me, and I too have one floating around.

I do have a brass pre serial number 14x5 us per sensitive, sounds amazing
So with the folks who don't like the active snare thing, is this not the same mechanism as the Rogers Dynasonic? I played a Dynastic in college and always thought those snares were incredible. One of the best snares I've ever played. Are we talking about the same drum?
Old 02-08-2015, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig J View Post
so does this mean my USA customs are going to spike in value?
Unless yours was made pre-1970, I doubt it.

If you're kit was pre-2003, you can get a small premium for having Jasper-era shells, but it's a small premium.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Just so there is no misunderstanding exactly what are you saying about the people who have or will purchase the new DW MDD double pedal?
Roland TD30KV
Old 02-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
Just so there is no misunderstanding exactly what are you saying about the people who have or will purchase the new DW MDD double pedal?
I get what he's saying. It's a dig. And it's kinda' funny because if you've ever been to the NAMM show, and visited the DW room upstairs away from the main convention floor (well, the big companies were all in their own rooms too, like Gibson, and Fender, etc.,...) the amount of DW groupies there is quite staggering, and maybe a little sad when I see aging rocker guys barge around in there trying to get some kind of "artist" deal with that company because they're definitely one of the hot tickets. I can imagine all the other big names went through this as well in their heyday.

I can appreciate really cool engineering as much as the next guy, but I only appreciate it as much as it will help me execute any cool musical ideas I might be asked to execute. I personally don't need a $1000 double pedal to do the gigs I do, but I'm sure somebody needs it.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
Simply that all companies have "fan boys" and will buy whatever is produced regardless of cost. Not a dig as Bo suggests but just a sign of the times. Nothing to get twisted about.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Maybe I'm being harsh.
DW took Corder drums tom slide rail and rebranded it as their own,so DW is DW.
They're a bit like M$ in that they keep on telling you how they reinvented a better wheel.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Not twisted about it. I just find it amusing when people have an issue with what others do with their money. We are all guilty of it.
Roland TD30KV
Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
You bought them. Didn't YOU?!?!?!

;)
Can't say that I did. I'm perfectly happy with my current pedals and don't need a nuclear blast-proof pedal set up.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Can't say that I did. I'm perfectly happy with my current pedals and don't need a nuclear blast-proof pedal set up.
Whew! I'm not the only one who noticed that then 😜. I can take it from Sonor, but not something from Oxnard 😳
Old 02-13-2015, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

edit: I'll be nice and let the moronic comments stand on their own.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I wonder if DW has anything to do with Gretsch guitars.
They don't. (space filled to make webpage happy)