DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:19 AM

Default Recording from soundboard?

Hi all,

I recently moved cities and would like to start recording at gigs in order to help advertise. I am going to set up a Go-Pro for the next hit, however, is there some device I can give to the sound person or just plug into the soundboard in order to capture better audio? Preferably not a tape track so I can just upload straight to computer and edit into the video? Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? Much obliged!

Thanks! :)
Old 12-30-2014, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Recording from soundboard?

Check out Zoom products. My h4n has two inputs that can double as seperate mics or as line (so you can go from soundboard), plus has two onboard mics so you can capture the room sound.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

+1 for Zoom products

I own an R16 and am happy with its performance.

Also, keep a blank USB thumb drive with you in the event that the house has a Presonus or other multitrack setup.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I'm a Zoom fan too. If you just want a stereo mix and not deal with tracks, the H2n is a cool device. I had the H2 and that was awesome. I also have an R16 and love that. I think a 32GB SD card in the H2n would record for something like 36 hours (!).
Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 AM

Thanks guys! I'm going to look into renting one of these and then hopefully a purchase.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Just a word of caution with making stereo "board recordings" at live gigs - often, you end up with what might be described as a "kick drum and vocal concert" on tape.
The thing to remember is that the mix you hear on the recording is for the room, through the PA - and that will largely be dictated by how loud you are on stage. Loud band on stage = more kick drum and vocal in the board recording. Under control stage volume , maybe some acoustic instruments = better board recording. I have heard some really good , well balanced board recordings, it is possible.
If you are indeed dealing with loud stage volume- it's a good idea to use something like a Zoom H4- use the stereo built in mics to record the room live, and then use a stereo input from the board as well, giving you four tracks to play with.

Taking it even a bit further - there's really not much "stereo-ocity" going on in your average live rock /pop performance. If you are limited to 2 channels from the board, ask your sound man if you can do a vocal/instrument split. Then your H4 tracks look like: CH1/2= stereo room mics, Ch3 - Vocals Ch4 - Instruments. Taking that even further, I would do one room mic, one vocal mix track, one drum mix and one 'everything else' mix.

Good luck!

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 12-31-2014, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Taking it even a bit further - there's really not much "stereo-ocity" going on in your average live rock /pop performance. If you are limited to 2 channels from the board, ask your sound man if you can do a vocal/instrument split. Then your H4 tracks look like: CH1/2= stereo room mics, Ch3 - Vocals Ch4 - Instruments. Taking that even further, I would do one room mic, one vocal mix track, one drum mix and one 'everything else' mix.
A friend and I got to talking about this, and he uses a cheap USB LDC and an iPhone. The iPhone mic-in records mono from the board while the LDC picks up the live sound. He says that it's usually a simple matter of cutting off the highs from the board track, mixing the two tracks together, and running it through a little EQ and compression.

It sounded like an ingenious way to get ones phone stolen....