USA/Canadian drummers - a quick question.

For the US, I believe there may of may not be a state tax depending on the state.

I pay a tax here in MN.

US - When I buy gear online, I am not taxed. When I buy gear at a store I pay the state sale's tax.

The tax in my county is 7 percent at retail stores. Online depends on the seller

It is slowly coming to the point where we will also pay sales tax as that has been voted in and is being implemented. Already, places like Musicians Friend are charging you your state sales tax (depending on where you live). So I've begun to figure in a tax figure for whatever I decide to buy online. Some private sellers on eBay are doing this too (not all) - most complain that they have to pay taxes at the end of the year if selling their stuff is part of their income, and I can understand that, some of those eBay sellers do that solely for their livelihood.

In a way, this move may save the brick and mortar guy since people will realize that they pay the same anyway - especially if they can see the product in person before they buy. You never know - stranger things have happened ;)

Here in Canada, as in the US, prices are not advertised with taxes included, because each state/province's tax laws are different. I know it is convention to advertise with taxes included in the UK.

In Canada, if I buy out of province from an online retailer, they will still charge me the originating province's tax.
If I buy something from the US and have it shipped here, I don't pay any state tax but Revenue Canada will charge me tax at the border -> HST= Harmonized Sales Tax, a blend of federal (GST) and provincial (PST).
If I understand correctly from what I see online, and what others say - you don't pay tax shopping (shipping) from state to state.
Confloosing yet?

Death. Taxes.
That's for sure.

Yep, some states have no state tax like Oregon and Nevada, for instance, and then there is California where is varies from county to county. LA County is ridiculous, OC is a quarter to half a percent lower, and the majority of the state sits at about 8.5% if I am not mistaken. And even in LA County, the city itself is a quarter higher than the rest of the county so they can "pay" for things that tax dollars should already cover. This place will suck you dry with all the taxes. Don't get me started...!

if you are buying online and it comes from the state you live in, you have to pay tax, usually most things come from someplace else here in the states so there is no tax. thats why there is a discalimer somtimes that says " new york resisdents add sales tax" or whatever state. i thnk they are trying to pass some kind of law in my state to charge on all online transactions. its supposed to genereate like 70 million a yearor some crap like that.

Short answer: Advertised price, in store or online, does not include applicable taxes.

US - When I buy gear online, I am not taxed. When I buy gear at a store I pay the state sale's tax.

if you are buying online and it comes from the state you live in, you have to pay tax, usually most things come from someplace else here in the states so there is no tax. thats why there is a discalimer somtimes that says " new york resisdents add sales tax" or whatever state. i thnk they are trying to pass some kind of law in my state to charge on all online transactions. its supposed to genereate like 70 million a yearor some crap like that.

It is the same for me for both situations.

Here in Canada, as in the US, prices are not advertised with taxes included, because each state/province's tax laws are different. I know it is convention to advertise with taxes included in the UK.

In Canada, if I buy out of province from an online retailer, they will still charge me the originating province's tax.
If I buy something from the US and have it shipped here, I don't pay any state tax but Revenue Canada will charge me tax at the border -> HST= Harmonized Sales Tax, a blend of federal (GST) and provincial (PST).
If I understand correctly from what I see online, and what others say - you don't pay tax shopping (shipping) from state to state.
Confloosing yet?

Death. Taxes.
That's for sure.

This, sadly... It's irritating, most of the stores I go to list the MSRP, and not the "actual price". This way they can say it's always on sale. Combined with them not adding in the tax until you buy it, and yes, things can get confusing.

We pay 13% tax on top of almost every retail purchase in Ontario Canada. Makes figuring out actual totals a pain in the arse, but it’s not going away any time soon.

Alberta went down to a measly 5% GST a while back. Makes figuring out prices simple.

But no, like eveilg99 said, they advertise the price without tax so prices always look something like this: $1999.99

For some reason they think that taking off that 1 cent from the price makes it look more appealing than $2000.00. To me it just makes figuring out the prices a tiny bit harder. Haha.

-Jonathan

Confloosing yet?

Death. Taxes.
That's for sure.

Here in Ontario it is the combined Federal & Provincial tax of 13%; some stores will have their gear marked up a bit more and just close the deal as tax in.

Alberta went down to a measly 5% GST a while back. Makes figuring out prices simple.

But no, like eveilg99 said, they advertise the price without tax so prices always look something like this: $1999.99

For some reason they think that taking off that 1 cent from the price makes it look more appealing than $2000.00. To me it just makes figuring out the prices a tiny bit harder. Haha.

-Jonathan

Even funnier since we have dropped the penny!

IL has sales tax and it's getting ridiculous....If I buy something new and pay the sales tax
and then sell it to an IL resident on ebay (used) the buyer has to pay the IL sales tax again.
(and then the politicos pocket the money and bankrupt us)...oh, never mind....

The truth is..it varies.In NY,if you're a NY State resident,then an online vendor does collect sales tax.Usually if you purchase from a vendor based in another state,they don't collect sales tax,but that varies also.

The price advertised almost never includes sales tax.The persentage of that tax varies from zero to around 8%.

Unfortunately,there's no definative answer.

Steve B

Back