DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Having a very hard time picking a drum brand.

Quote:
I just want something that can be powerful but with some snap to it as well.
Starclassic birch man! I bought my starclassics thinking they were the b/b perfromer, i found out the day i went to get em they were 100% birch shells from 98! i was blown away by the sheer attack and low end from birch alone, they got a HUGE amount of power, and a HUGE amount of snap (aka attack) I love them to death! But dont take my word for it, how about tons of huge metal drummers? You need both power and "snap" to play in a metal band, off the top of my head

dave lombardo- slayer (now with ludwig though)
lars ulrich- metallica (like him or hate him, his drums sound damn good on and justice for all)
charlie bennante- anthrax (he uses bubinga now, used to use birch)
mario duplantier- gojira (plays 100% birch superstars, sound MASSIVE)
gene hoglan- death, fear factory, dark angel (he currently is with pearl, used tama in the past though)
jan axel bloomberg aka "hellhammer" - mayhem, arcturus (he uses tama drums on and off, i believe he used them when he recorded an album for this band winds, he did that without triggers and the kit sounded great even at around 250 bpm)
mike portnoy (all around good drummer, his drums have a nice sound)
some other metal guys are jason bittner, dirk vebeuren, Jukka Nevalainen, anders johansson, sean reinert, dave mackintosh among others

but not all tama drummers are the heavy metal type, for example lady gaga's drummer uses b/b drums.
my point is, they have not only the sound, but the reputation AND versatility. Your into gordian knot and Cynic (sean reinert) so im going to go out on a limb and assume you dablle in a bit of prog metal/rock, tama would be great for those genres! And everything else under the sun in my opinion
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
I wouldn't go silverstar. I would save to buy a starclassic, the silverstars are entry level, the superstars/starclassics are fantastic. You can get a superstar hyperdrive kit on ebay for around 1300. Don't let the little toms fool you, they pack a huge punch. The starclassics are beautiful sounding, i love mine. A b/b starclassic is 1500 new, the maple, bubinga, and bubinga elite are a little more if I remember right. Tama will be great if you like the stuff you mentioned earlier, gordian knot would sound good too! :) (good band, by the way, I like your profile pic!)
Point of information.Silverstars are NOT an entry level kit.Imperialstar,and Swingstar are Tama's entry level series of drums.Silverstars are just priced slightly above entry level kits,and have some hardware and finish compromises,but the sound and build quality of these kits are amazing.They are definately intermeadiate level or better.Check out some of the reviews,and Mike Portnoy test drive vid on the Tama website.

Steve B
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 AM

Other than having deeper toms and not having larger hoops, I don't see much difference between the Silverstars and Starclassics. Both seem high quality but Silverstars are way cheaper. More value I say! Plus Portnoy crushed the hell out of them. I wonder if they will not last as long however due to the make. That is my only concern. I can be a hard hitter.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorchords View Post
Other than having deeper toms and not having larger hoops, I don't see much difference between the Silverstars and Starclassics. Both seem high quality but Silverstars are way cheaper. More value I say! Plus Portnoy crushed the hell out of them. I wonder if they will not last as long however due to the make. That is my only concern. I can be a hard hitter.
You seem to have missed many points that have been stated in this thread.
The hoops on the Starclassics are cast, The Starclassic kit is a totally different animal than the Silverstar. That, and the shell construction are what will set the two kits apart.
Both kits will be durable. That is not an issue.
As you have a budget, Buying used should not be overlooked.
That has also been mentioned in this thread.
Did you watch the Gatzen vid and note the points that he makes about hoops and shell type?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 AM

I watched the video, went to the store and was told the difference there. Perhaps I misspoke in the last thread. Flanged vs diecast right? Still listening and playing samples to hear the real difference. It may be my hearing, but I don't hear too much. What I meant by the last post was that the Silverstars don't have as big or thick hoops as the Starclassic. Isn't that right?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

You have a choice of shell make up with the Starclassic
Also the shells are 5mm as opposed to the 6mm on the Silverstar.
Of course there is the hoop difference
You should be able to hear a pretty big difference in the sound between the different Starclassic kits as well as the Silverstar.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 02-05-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor chords View Post
I watched the video, went to the store and was told the difference there. Perhaps I misspoke in the last thread. Flanged vs diecast right? Still listening and playing samples to hear the real difference. It may be my hearing, but I don't hear too much. What I meant by the last post was that the Silverstars don't have as big or thick hoops as the Starclassic. Isn't that right?
There is a Hugh difference between die cast and triple flange hoops in their construction. With die cast, some believe they are easier to tune and hold their tune a bit better. They also come in different types of metal of different weights. Triple flange also comes in different weights but at the cost of hoop thickness. The Silverstar hoops are just 1.6mm thick. When it comes to triple flange hoops, I like the rigidity of the 2.3mm hoops, particularly on snare drums. Having inspected and played the Silverstars, I would personally rate them as just getting into the intermediate category. They sound good and some of their finishes are very attractive. Here again, I'm not into birch shells as much as other woods, just a personal preference.

Dennis
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

I recently bought a kit with 5.5mm walnut/maple shells and 2.3mm flanged hoops.
I like the sound because the drums are kind of in between the sound of a cast hoop kit and a
1.6mm hoop kit.
Cast hoops dampen a drum considerably.
Gatzen demonstrates this very well in the vid.