DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Getting better after short break periods?

Just wondering if I'm the only one who seems to think they get better after like a 5 day break. I normally only play when the wife is gone since when I play the whole house is just chaos. I don't blame her, you can't do nothing when the drums are going in the house, it's loud. She's in the middle of a course that required her to do a clinical for two weeks in a neighboring city. I played the most drums I've ever played consecutively ever. Two weeks of 3-4 hours a day, versus my average of about 3-5 sessions a week of an hour or 2. Anyways, she was home all this week with no work or anything so I just managed to get 20 minutes in yesterday evening. Wow wow wow. I just started fooling with some grooves and my hands and feet were doing patterns I normally can't do and practiced for two weeks with little improvement. Just seems like every time I have to take a week break from drumming, I jump on the kit with a new take and feel and just fly through the kit. Just seems like more practice would be for the better but I seem to do better with break periods which I usually spend watching drum videos and reading these forums.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Getting better after short break periods?

We all learn and progress different ways. I've been playing 32 years and I'm a visual learner. I can play most things just by watching.

Another thing is I take breaks now in between practicing and go back and it seems to help whatever I'm learning sink in.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

My tutor used to reckon this was definitely the case.

I have to say that maybe there is a limit to the value of repeating an exercise in a single effort. Perhaps after 10 mins you should always move on and then come back to it later.

Cheers
Davo
Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

I'm a firm believer in this, without a doubt. I think the break works in a number of ways.

Firstly it gives your muscles time to recover (muscle development entails the tearing of tissue and proteins and the subsequent repairing of them in a new 'improved' configuration) and more importantly - to relax!

Secondly - you spend more time just listening to music and thinking about the patterns you here. I find this beneficial for me when I'm struggling to get a complicated pattern down and take a break to come back to it fresh having mulled it over.

Thirdly - not only your body, but also your mind is relaxed - when you've been off the kit for a while it's like a cure for the itch to get back on them!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. I find when working on a technique daily practice is a must, but when working on groove, fills, or bringing a technique you've already practiced into your playing taking a break is wonderful.

The two reasons I have come up with is one, letting your spinal column readjust your muscle memory after practicing consciously to more of an unconscious action. (All drumming really is is training your spinal cord to do everything with muscle memory)

And secondly after not playing instead of being another repeated action (IE practicing a rudiment) you are being creative but generally still using said actions (IE using a rudiment across the set for a little solo).
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM

I always found when I had to learn something new if you take it, play with it for a while, and then forget about it for a day or two, when you come back you can play it much better. It's like your brain is processing what you just put into it
Old 02-04-2012, 01:24 AM

Yes! I see it like working out. You work a muscle group and then you give that group 1 or 2 days to rest.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

who could ever take a break
Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Might not be exactly what you mean, but the best for me is when I cant play a hard part in a song, get angry and stop trying, and two or three months later I just nail it first try, no problem.
Makes me want to practice and play everyday and you might not feel better by the end of the day but with a couple of months you look back and feels amazing.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamega View Post
Just wondering if I'm the only one who seems to think they get better after like a 5 day break. I normally only play when the wife is gone since when I play the whole house is just chaos. I don't blame her, you can't do nothing when the drums are going in the house, it's loud. She's in the middle of a course that required her to do a clinical for two weeks in a neighboring city. I played the most drums I've ever played consecutively ever. Two weeks of 3-4 hours a day, versus my average of about 3-5 sessions a week of an hour or 2. Anyways, she was home all this week with no work or anything so I just managed to get 20 minutes in yesterday evening. Wow wow wow. I just started fooling with some grooves and my hands and feet were doing patterns I normally can't do and practiced for two weeks with little improvement. Just seems like every time I have to take a week break from drumming, I jump on the kit with a new take and feel and just fly through the kit. Just seems like more practice would be for the better but I seem to do better with break periods which I usually spend watching drum videos and reading these forums.

Wow, I couldn't agree more. I work from home so I can squeeze in 2 hours of playing every day while my wife is at work. I'll go like this for a month or two and then find I can't play anymore. For whatever reason my body and mind are just overloaded and tired so I'll get frustrated and walk away for a few days. When I sit down to play again I notice a huge improvement in all aspects of my playing and find that I have learned new techniques and can play much better.

Maybe everyone isn't the same but I found complete muscle and mental overload and then a short break from playing works for me. Problem is, I want to spend 10 hours a day, everyday pounding the crap out of my kit. I enjoy the music, the workout, the relaxation and the sensation of playing. In order to progress I need an occasional break.