An Evening With Nicko McBrain

cwignall

Just been to an evening with Nicko McBrain.

What an awesome drummer, funny man and all round top bloke.

Some good tips but overall just an inspiration to get within 5 feet of the man was brill!

Shook his hand and even said 'ello darlin' to my dear lady!

Great Night!!!

Wow that's awesome. It's always cool to see people like that in person and realize that they're also made of flesh.
I'd like to hear some tips as well. Maybe on how to build up a right foot like his.

"funny man and all round top bloke."

I was at the Drum clinic in Manchester and couldn't agree with this less.

He is an amazing drummer and I don't want to troll, but if people on this forum are considering going to his clinics they should know a lot of what he says is racist and homophobic. I was offended and am glad that my kids were not amongst the many who were there.

Jokes about black men lying down in urinals, mocking afro carribean patoi, and plenty of insulting remarks about 'The queers'. If thats what you're into then you will enjoy yourselves otherwise I would recommend avoiding it like the plague.

First post and actually trolling.I doubt any of what you say is true, just rhetoric without proof.

Tips wise the main one for me was in referrence to his right foot. It may not even be that revolutionary but it certainly gave me an idea.

The principle of pivot points and levers - the longer the lever from the pivot point, the less effort required to move the object. He plays heel up with his toes just bellow the beater however when he wants the speed (ie wicker man) he moves his toes further down the pedal board. simple but effective.

Also tight springs to give good return from the bass drum. 45 degree angles on the board and the same for the beater rod.

Interesting insight also into the angles of his drums...all based around him liking a high hi-hat...

Regarding his jokes: yeah admitedly they were rather crude and not for the kids. I wouldnt tell em to everyone but in general i wouldnt say he was actually racist or homophobic. He had some of his black roadies on stage laughing along with him. Overall i think he is down to earth and simply enjoying what he does.

Its mad to contemplate that all his epic career, tv appearences, epic tours and being part of one of the biggest metal bands in history...and then he is on stage a few feet away from me and even shook the mans hand...slightly star struck.

@ TFITTING942

Doubt as much as you like, it's all true. You need to go see it for yourself. I'm not lying at all.

I know it looks stupid doesn't it. If I wasn't so pissed off about it I wouldn't have said a word about it. I'm not a member of this forum previously but I love the Irons and thought that this would be a good night out. Now I'm just happy to warn others,

Maybe I'm not used to that sort of banter if thats what he thinks it is but when gays and blacks are the butt of so many jokes it's hard to ignore.

@ CWignall

I know he had a black roadie on stage but that doesn't excuse him in my view.

You tell me whats not racist about the voices? the insinuation that black men all have big knobs? that they are stupid enough to lay down in a urinal to piss? That they dont know about contraceptives iin this countreee ? - all done with a mimick afro carribean voice. Just because one roadie who relies on him for a job laughs along doesn't make it OK.

What's not insulting about the whole 1 in 3 being gay routine, sniggering in his sleeve, if you actually are gay (or your son is)? . Whats not disgraceful about the telephone box joke? or the implication that homosexuals also shag animals? Going on to refer to downhill skiers etc.

As far as I'm concerned he let himself down badly.

@ TFITTING942

that they are stupid enough to lay down in a urinal to piss?

What's not insulting about the whole 1 in 3 being gay routine,
QUOTE]

I dont think he was saying he was stupid...he was saying the doctor told him not to lift heavy things...the big knob gag as you put it. As Stephen K Amos said...there are some stereotypes I can live with...may not be true but its hardly racist.

And he may be quoting a true fact about the 1 to 3 ratio. We all said to our mates at some points.."dont be gay" or somat along those lines...doesnt make anyone homophobic.

Im not trying to deffend him here like...I agree it was coarse for my liking but overall point I was making is that it wasnt just a boring technical session...he was entertaining. not everyones taste admitedly. I wouldnt go see a comedian of that adult nature but nor do i think it was rascist.

Focus on his drum expertise...not his personality...

Ps; what does trolling mean? =)

Ps; what does trolling mean? =)

A troll is someone who comes onto a forum and posts something controversial in order to stir the hornets nest. Often they are newer or non-regular members, which is what has raised TFITTING's suspicions.

I didn't know what they were until I joined this site either and I honestly can't see why anyone would bother. But they are indeed out there. Personally, I don't believe Deportivodeej is a troll in this case though......just a guy with a different scope on the clinic.

Any pics of the night? I'm a Nicko fan.....inappropriate jokes or not, the cat's got a good thing goin' on behind the kit.

Just an FYI, his son is on youtube a bunch....he demonstrates the right foot technique pretty well. A lot of people critique him badly, but it's interesting to watch his son.

Nicko was / is one hell of a drummer.

Very well! so it's time to show some pictures, having few pints and shooting the bull with Mr.McBrain!

@POCKET FULL OF GOLD

My mate got some pics...my phone is naff and forgot the camera. ill try get him to email some.

Hi
I've just joined the forum with an aim to learn more re drum mic techniques etc.
I've joined a few others and have seen all of the banter re the Nicko McBrain clinics.
Check out this other fine forum for more info on the subject;

http://www.mikedolbear.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102455

Felt I had to say something, especially after watching the Alan Turing documentary last night. Damn shame

"funny man and all round top bloke."

I was at the Drum clinic in Manchester and couldn't agree with this less.

He is an amazing drummer and I don't want to troll, but if people on this forum are considering going to his clinics they should know a lot of what he says is racist and homophobic. I was offended and am glad that my kids were not amongst the many who were there.

Jokes about black men lying down in urinals, mocking afro carribean patoi, and plenty of insulting remarks about 'The queers'. If thats what you're into then you will enjoy yourselves otherwise I would recommend avoiding it like the plague.

Do you have any audio/video to back up these claims/charges ? So far, you have 2 posts to your name. We don't know a thing about you. I think I'll not jump to any conclusions, until I see/hear some evidence to "substantiate" this rumor. Some people just love to talk "smack" about others, on the internet ... easy enough to do ... don't have to prove anything ... and you get to hide under the veil of anonymity ...​

Last edited:
Back