DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Lutz (SickRick) visits the UK. Video & pictures.

I was honoured to have Lutz at my house for a couple of days. Here's some pictures & a video taken in the upstairs of my garage. As you can see, we made quite a mess with drums lying everywhere, changing hoops etc. Lutz is playing a mixture of drums to see if he likes a certain construction, wood species, etc. Video shot with a Q3, but placed near the floor level, so misses out on some clarity on the top end of the kit, especially the snare. Please listen through good cans or speakers. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Lutz is a superb player, & I so much enjoyed listening to him try the stuff out. Obviously, this is just a snippet taken without any attempt at a performance. Just the boys messing with some rather nice drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOX5gwqpZQ
Attached Images

Last edited by keep it simple; 11-04-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: Lutz (SickRick) visits the UK. Video & pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Lutz is a superb player, & I so much enjoyed listening to him try the stuff out. Obviously, this is just a snippet taken without any attempt at a performance. Just the boys messing with some rather nice drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOX5gwqpZQ
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!... I love the SOUND of that drumkit, what are the woodshells, the sizes (I'm guessing rack 12", floor 14" and 22" bass), the heads. It's really impressive, I mean it.

And of course... superb drumming!

NB: What mics did you use? or is it the mic of the camera?

I wish I had money man...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!... I love the SOUND of that drumkit, what are the woodshells, the sizes (I'm guessing rack 12", floor 14" and 22" bass), the heads. It's really impressive, I mean it.

And of course... superb drumming!

NB: What mics did you use? or is it the mic of the camera?

I wish I had money man...
Thanks for the props, & yes, Lutz's playing's wonderful.

Close on the guess. Short rack, 12" x 7" oak stave. 14" x 12" oak stave floor. 20" mahogany thin stave bass drum (shell diameter is actually 18.5"!!!). 14" x 5.5" steambent snare with matching shaped wood hoops (secret very rare wood, don't want the US enforcement guys breathing down our necks ;) )

Oh, forgot, no mic's, just the Zoom recorder, hence the slight loss of clarity on the top side of the kit. Through good cans, that bass drum is smokin!

Last edited by keep it simple; 11-04-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Ooooh momma, that snare sounds like pure sweaty, nasty love. That is to say I quite enjoy the sound. I'm sure Lutz's killer playing doesn't hurt the sound one bit.

Damn you Andy, now I have one more piece of gear that I just HAVE to have or somehow my life is just not right. The groove he gets from clitckety-clackin' on those wood hoops is the just Hog's B*****ks.

Do you have any videos of a 6.5 or steambent snare?

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

I knew it would be productive! I'm glad that this has all worked out so far. Lutz is a great guy and we've known each other for a long time. The 'Showroom' idea definitely has merit for these high-end kits.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Yo Lutz! Nice to see you behind the drums again! Sounding good. ( ..the Gurus too )

PS- ( Did Andy pulled out any of his good wines for you? )

Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

The drums in the video sound awesome. The drummer is very good too!! I was noticing the snare drum shell on the floor with the tube lugs. Do you guys make your own shells. The some of the snare drums laying around that room made me very interested. I own 32 snares but i have 5 that are my favs. Give me a little info there buddy. thanks

Joe
Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
The drums in the video sound awesome. The drummer is very good too!! I was noticing the snare drum shell on the floor with the tube lugs. Do you guys make your own shells. The some of the snare drums laying around that room made me very interested. I own 32 snares but i have 5 that are my favs. Give me a little info there buddy. thanks

Joe
Cheers Joe, only 32! ;) ;) We'll have to do something about that.

I've sent you a PM Joe. To the best of my knowledge, we're the only maker in the world who crafts full kits from stave, steambent solid, & segmented shells. All made & designed in house.

& yes, Lutz is a great player Joe, I'm sure you'd like his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Yo Lutz! Nice to see you behind the drums again! Sounding good. ( ..the Gurus too )

PS- ( Did Andy pulled out any of his good wines for you? )

Sorry Abe, Lutz wasn't feeling 100%, but I did try :) :) & yes, nice to see Lutz enjoying himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I knew it would be productive! I'm glad that this has all worked out so far. Lutz is a great guy and we've known each other for a long time. The 'Showroom' idea definitely has merit for these high-end kits.
Thanks Duncan. The drums that Lutz tested were just a sample I pulled together quickly with Dean's help. Our drum testing facility plans are a little more organised than that :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Ooooh momma, that snare sounds like pure sweaty, nasty love. That is to say I quite enjoy the sound. I'm sure Lutz's killer playing doesn't hurt the sound one bit.

Damn you Andy, now I have one more piece of gear that I just HAVE to have or somehow my life is just not right. The groove he gets from clitckety-clackin' on those wood hoops is the just Hog's B*****ks.

Do you have any videos of a 6.5 or steambent snare?
Sort of Luis. The snare on my prototype video is a 14" x 6.5" mahogany stave. We're short on videos, & it's one thing we'll really be concentrating on early next year.

As a side note, these shell constructions really feature the wood species in a way that a standard ply shell can't. Nothing wrong with ply shells, there's some great drums out there, but stave & steambent just deliver so much more pure shell tone. The reason I'm highlighting this is, making videos that are representative of a type is almost pointless. The wood species makes such a difference (along with many other factors of course), that the only way to give players a really useful impression is to video everything! That's a bunch of work & cost right there.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
SickRick

Hey!

time for me to chime in here, after travelling home for more than 15 hours because the last train I was on had a Triebwagenstörung and died on the track which left me in the middle of nowhere waiting for a taxi to drive the last 150 kilometers. I got home at around 3 am....

So my visit at Andys house was spectacular, the drums are of amazing quality and sound and look great! I especially fell in love with one steam-bent snare made of a very rare wood which is somewhat similar to Bubinga - we tried it with a custom wood hoop and with an s-shaped hoop and it sounded great with both of them.

Andy is a great guy, he is even nicer in person than he is here on the Forum (and I believe he is one of nicest guys on this place anyway). I stayed in a very nice Hotel close to Andys place as his guest which I thought was incredibly generous. Unfortunately I had some minor food poisoning the day before I flew to Britain, so I was not really in my best shape (hence the missed out wine tasting and hence the terrible playing). I considered myself pretty lucky to even make the flight to Birmingham and it was well worth it.

So the travelling was pretty rough but my stay was great fun nontheless!

I feel kind of sorry for Andy - I am kind of the opposite to a gear nerd, so I cannot really tell you anything about technical details. Two weeks ago I didn't even know the difference between Ply, Stave, Segmented and Steam Bent Shells. I also didn't know anything about bearing edges, shell thickness, different types of woods and all these kinds of things. I have always been a pretty intuitive player: If something feels good and sounds good I like it and don't really care why I like it. Some drums just speak to me and others don't - my drumming creativity and the ideas that I have when sitting behind a drumset are largely influenced by the drums I use and by the sound and feel I get from them. So when I sit behind a kit that I truly love, not only does it sound better but it also lets me play better because it will give me more ideas and more joy when playing it.

All I can say about the Guru stuff I tested (and trust me, I do not get paid to say this) is that when I sit behind those drums they just speak to me. You can get so many sounds out of one drum it's quite incredible, also they allow for a very high tuning range from super low to super high. The overall sound is very well rounded and also very different, depending on the type of wood that is used. The difference is much bigger than I thought it would be (we tried Oak, Maple, Bubinga, Mahagony, Ash, Walnut and some other stuff I don't recall).

There is another story that I might share with you in the future that has to do with some 150 years old Apple and Pear trees which my cousin cut down a year ago. Andy and me both hope that this story will have a happy ending.

That's it for now, if you have specific questions about the drums, feel free to ask.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM
TFITTING942

Andy, I love the large tube lugs on the unfinished snare in the first picture. The Pearl drum key, however nice ( i have the same one) needs to be replaced with a really cool designed Guru drum key!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Lutz,

so sorry to hear of your terrible return journey :( I could believe that of trains in the UK, but German trains? Surely not. I trust those responsible were shot immediately ;)

Truly, it was a pleasure & an honour to have you as my guest. As for you being rusty, I'll have some of your rusty anytime :) :) Did you like the sound of the drums on the recording? OK, it's only a zoom recorder capture, but I think they sound pretty good considering. Much better, cleaner & bigger in real life, of course.

I've just put the special snare away ;)

For Joe & everyone else, I'll post some snare pictures up tomorrow. Got to go on a gig soon, it's Friday, whoohoo!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Awesome. Couldn't have picked a more appropriate player to be the first forum-er to test the Guru's. Andy I continue to be knocked out over the tone of those drums. I thought the snare sounded fantastic, and you were apologizing for the recorder...

Yes I'm feeling the pull of Ludwig, but the Gurus.....I WILL own a set of your drums someday my friend. In my mind they are the best drums on Planet Earth.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
I feel kind of sorry for Andy - I am kind of the opposite to a gear nerd, so I cannot really tell you anything about technical details. Two weeks ago I didn't even know the difference between Ply, Stave, Segmented and Steam Bent Shells. I also didn't know anything about bearing edges, shell thickness, different types of woods and all these kinds of things. I have always been a pretty intuitive player: If something feels good and sounds good I like it and don't really care why I like it. Some drums just speak to me and others don't - my drumming creativity and the ideas that I have when sitting behind a drumset are largely influenced by the drums I use and by the sound and feel I get from them. So when I sit behind a kit that I truly love, not only does it sound better but it also lets me play better because it will give me more ideas and more joy when playing it.

All I can say about the Guru stuff I tested (and trust me, I do not get paid to say this) is that when I sit behind those drums they just speak to me. You can get so many sounds out of one drum it's quite incredible, also they allow for a very high tuning range from super low to super high. The overall sound is very well rounded and also very different, depending on the type of wood that is used. The difference is much bigger than I thought it would be (we tried Oak, Maple, Bubinga, Mahagony, Ash, Walnut and some other stuff I don't recall).

There is another story that I might share with you in the future that has to do with some 150 years old Apple and Pear trees which my cousin cut down a year ago. Andy and me both hope that this story will have a happy ending.

That's it for now, if you have specific questions about the drums, feel free to ask.
This is so great - a drummer's paradise. I had no idea that the type of wood really made that big of a difference either. Very excited to see what happens to the apple and pear wood...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

Yes I'm feeling the pull of Ludwig
Surely you mean Mapex?

Quote:
but the Gurus.....I WILL own a set of your drums someday my friend. In my mind they are the best drums on Planet Earth.
I think you mean Mapex ;)

Quote:
..I WILL own a set of your drums someday my friend. In my mind they are the best drums on Planet Earth.
But that would mean you coming over here to spend days playing with beautiful hand made instruments, then attending one of our chick filled gigs, then drinking fine wine & generally hanging in my world. I think not Larry, you'd hate it. You could always buy a Ludwig though, has that perhaps crossed your mind? ;)
Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnka View Post
I had no idea that the type of wood really made that big of a difference either.
Generally speaking, & in relation to many drums, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't. Tuning, head selection, bearing edges, all have a bigger influence on the resultant sound. With solid shells, the wood's contribution to the sound is much greater than usual, many times greater in fact, but it's still not the biggest defining element. On stage through a big PA = no real world difference. Recording studio with uber processing = no real world difference. Acoustic performance or character retaining recording = worthwhile difference, but I think Lutz sums it up perfectly. It's the difference it makes to you, the artist, & the resulting performance. A greater sound palate stimulates your creativity, & that's perhaps the biggest difference of all!

Quote:
Some drums just speak to me and others don't - my drumming creativity and the ideas that I have when sitting behind a drumset are largely influenced by the drums I use and by the sound and feel I get from them. So when I sit behind a kit that I truly love, not only does it sound better but it also lets me play better because it will give me more ideas and more joy when playing it.
Quote:
when I sit behind those drums they just speak to me. You can get so many sounds out of one drum it's quite incredible, also they allow for a very high tuning range from super low to super high. The overall sound is very well rounded and also very different, depending on the type of wood that is used. The difference is much bigger than I thought it would be (we tried Oak, Maple, Bubinga, Mahagony, Ash, Walnut and some other stuff I don't recall).
Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Hey Lutz,

so sorry to hear of your terrible return journey :( I could believe that of trains in the UK, but German trains? Surely not. I trust those responsible were shot immediately ;)
Andy, I'll have to tell you my return journey story in full length one day. I haven't even touched on the Taxi driver yet and I also met some real interesting people on that train who like me had to wait in the middle of nowhere to get picked up. Let's just say I got in touch with all kinds of persons that you can only meet at 1am at a trainstation and that you would under normal circumstances probably not talk to.

@TFITTING: The thing you said about the drumkey... I said exactly the same thing to Andy yesterday before I left.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Andy, I'll have to tell you my return journey story in full length one day. I haven't even touched on the Taxi driver yet and I also met some real interesting people on that train who like me had to wait in the middle of nowhere to get picked up. Let's just say I got in touch with all kinds of persons that you can only meet at 1am at a trainstation and that you would under normal circumstances probably not talk to.

@TFITTING: The thing you said about the drumkey... I said exactly the same thing to Andy yesterday before I left.
Wow! Sounds like your journey's worthy of a thread all of it's own :)

& yes, Lutz did mention the drum keys too ;) Guess that's another addition to the "to do" list. Any funky drum key design feature suggestions guys?

anyhow, it's not a bad weather day here, so I might just take a load of snare porn photo's & throw up a thread.

BTW Lutz, your snare is made of AA grade ovangkol.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

For Lutz & everyone else, here's a nice shot of the Ovangkol steam bent snare with matching segmented hoops that Lutz liked.

If you'd like to see high quality pictures of the other drums Lutz tried, go to this thread & enjoy!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...743#post909743
Attached Images