DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: someone says you suck at drums, what do u do?

Someone says you suck. What do you do? Practice.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

i say "dude! guitar player???? the drummer is over there---->"
Old 12-21-2010, 05:27 AM

When I was 20 my response would have been somewhat more physical than it would be nowadays. If someone said that to me I would look disgusted and say "man, that halitosis must wreak havoc on your lovelife."
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

go on about your business.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM

No real musician is going to take the time to come up and say something like that to your face....

I had one guy standing right beside my drums during the gig shaking his head at me in dissaproval because I "aint hitting them drums hard enough"...

Another time a girl accused me of "sounding sleepy" because I wasn't " playing enough riffs."

In playing gigs, you're going to have to endure some really ignorant comments such as the genius who always asks " Is there a band playing tonite?" as you roll in all manner of cases, guitars, speakers etc., or the person who'll request a song & after you tell them you don't know it, will argue with you for 5 minutes insisting that you do.

Welcome to the jungle, ya know? You know if you need to work on something or not, with or without the genius input, so just do your thing and enjoy it.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

Not sure what the situation was when you were told this, but he is not important to you; it is your bandmates and if they like you regardless of anything else then you are going to be ok.

In work situations (day job) if a fellow employee says something like that to me I just tell them that when they start signing my pay cheque I will listen to them but until then keep it to themselves. Don't take it to heart, I have been playing drums for over 40 years and I still think I stink; ha. It keeps me engaged and trying harder

One other thing to consider is that you are actually very good and he is just a complete jerk.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM

a couple options

1. hand the guy drumsticks and a practice pad and say play 2 double paradiddles then a single paradiddle (or any combination of rudiments)

2. ask why and what specifically sucks
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

Nod your head and say, "Yeah, but I'm good at ******* your wife."
Old 12-22-2010, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Another thought ... rejoice! Yaaay, some feedback! You care enough to hate me! Now tell me what sucked ...
Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 AM

If someone said that to me, I would probably start laughing cuz it's such an obviously cocky thing to say to someone. I don't think I would take offense. And also because I know that I don't suck at the drums helps too.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 AM

"someone says you suck at drums, what do u do?"

agree ...
Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 AM

The only way to settle the problem is a drum off
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM

I think almost everyone has had bad comments in his or her times, from other drummers, other musicians and even non-musical people. Real musicians, pro's or amateurs, in my opinion; don't need to give bad comments, but try to be helpful, offering tips and tricks. At least; that's what i do if i think it might be helpful and will be appreciated. Talking sh*t about someone's drumming or performance is so easy, but giving really good advice is for most of the commentor's really hard.
My thoughts; forget the bad comments, they won't help you.
You'll know when somebody offers you good advice and has the best intentions for you to improve.
So don't feel bad, know your own “weakness” and keep working on that.
Good luck and keep having fun!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

start speaking in technical drummer-language. even make some stuff up.

I know for a fact that you have left hand-heavy swiss flamadiddles that cannot compete with my 180 BPM hand-foot pataflaflas.

then leave them confused and frightened.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM
TFITTING942

I just say "you're right, there was only one Buddy Rich and he rest rest of us suck."
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Allyn View Post
"someone says you suck at drums, what do u do?"

agree ...
+1. Definitely.

A completely hypothetical, sarcastic retort I would issue (and partly why a few people are under the impression I'm a dick)

"Yeah man, I know, life has been hard for me since my mother killed herself, I'm struggling to find a steady rhythm, maybe you can be me friend, help me through it, improve my drumming".
Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM

I might immediately start with mother jokes and try to make him lose his temper, and then once he cracks you can kick him square in the nuts in self defense. Pretty much my standard move when I was younger... Actually, I never really went with mother jokes. I'd always look for something they were insecure about and then hammer them. If the person was overweight, I'd attack that, if they had a stutter, I'd rip on them for that. I figure if they feel the need to try and make my day worse by talking negatively about something I'm insecure about, then I just do it right back. I did get in a lot of altercations though this way... This never really happened to me with drumming, but in shooting pool, this type of scenario would happen a lot.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Whenever someone treats me like that, in whatever situation, I try to ingnore them. They are not worthy of my attention. If they go on, which usually does happen, I respond with 'good for you, congrats and buzz off'.

My (Dutch) Blog!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 PM

well, in my case, I do suck, because Im new, but humility can be a positive thing, back in the 80's I was asked to play guitar on a 4 trac demo, for kind of a funk band, ( not my style) and i had not touched a guitar in 2 years ( played guitar since i was 7, but had just not been into it) any how, my part came out so bad, they were just staightup " YOU SUCK"..so I locked away in my room for 6 months with my guitar, and went to another level.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:47 PM

Next time he's at one of your gigs, announce you have a bud who's gonna sit in on a song, Then have the band start on s very diffcult drum song.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

yell for ¨SECURITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¨ .
Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM

I don't let it bother me. Because I opinionated like that myself. I understand not everyone is gifted like John Bonham was. I play well and have to think of ways to work around my weaknesses. What makes you a good drummer is think about what you play do you try to do things you can't do that make you sound bad? In a band situation my rule was don't go where you can't. People always thought I was this amazing drummer. Boy did I fool them! My playing is just a series of motions/patterns in my head.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a corallary: How do you tell someone that they suck at drums. I was at a jam last night and this fellow asked me how he sounded. I see this guy around all the time. He is really into it. Keeps bringing in fancy stuff that he's bought to show off at various jams. Goes on and on about playing prog or fusion songs and folks like Lenny White or Billy Cobbham. Or great local drummers. Last night he was going on about how this great local drummer had 40 years under their belt while he'd only been playing for 15. I was astounded at the 15. This guy's playing last night was an absolute trainwreck. Most jam hosts try to avoid letting him play. Or try to work it out so that after one song, they can yank him for some special situation that just came up. Not only can he not keep any sort of time, but he plays randomly around the kit, never doing the same thing once. You can sort of hear him trying to play fancy patterns under the music, but it is all so off that the rest of the band has to soldier on and just play while ignoring him.

So, when he asked me how he sounded, what could I say? Do the polite thing and say he sounded great? Let him keep ruining the night for the other folks who drew the short straw and had to be lined up with him? I suggested that he spend some time listening to Steve Jordan and put more effort into lining up the playing. He admitted that sometimes he "gets excited", which I guess is his rationalization for going off the beat. I tried to relate that the local monster drummer he was going on about always kept a huge groove, no matter how complex a thing he might be doing. That if you had the groove happening, you could put the other things on top of it.

I guess there is so much attraction to all the sizzle and spice, that folks ignore the foundation and think that it's all about the flash.

What can you do?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Someone who would actually say that to someone in person has got problems of their own to sort out, I think. It's often helpful to recognise that, even to empathise with it. It takes the heat out of the whole situation.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Someone who would actually say that to someone in person has got problems of their own to sort out, I think. It's often helpful to recognise that, even to empathise with it. It takes the heat out of the whole situation.
I'm reminded of an old saying. If someone calls you an ass, simply reply "Thanks for sharing." If two people call you an ass, you might want to consider it. If three people call you an ass, buy a saddle.

While it is hurtful to outright tell someone that they suck, I don't think blowing smoke up their butt is helping them any either.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeydrums View Post
i just wanna see what people would do if someone went up to your face and said "you are a really crappy drummer. i mean, im better than you."

why i post this? cuz it happened to me today, and i didnt know if i should've hit the guy, or tried to talk about it with him.
Usually, since I'm a girl drummer, I get this alot from guys.... but that's before I actually play.. so it's funny seeing their faces afterward. :) but, being a girl... hitting someone over that is useless. I don't usually argue but I'd rather let my drumming speak for itself. Which usually works, unless the other person is like a deathcore drummer and doesn't realize that drumming to a different genre doesn't make you a crappy drummer... and I've come across drummers like that. :/