DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Sync audio and video

Hey people!
I use a mixer with 5 drum mics and am looking to make drumming videos. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to sync to the audio being recording via the mics and mixer into my PC with the video from my camera?
Cheers!!

P.S Sorry if i worded it crap :P
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Sync audio and video

I literally just drag and drop the audio track from my DAW into the video and then remove the existing audio track. I have to line it up and tweak it a little, but in the end I'm happy with the result. I use iMovie, but I'm assuming all these simple video editing programs work the same.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Ah yeah mate , because isn't it reallly really hard to line them up together so it looks right?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoofie View Post
Ah yeah mate , because isn't it reallly really hard to line them up together so it looks right?
Not in the slightest. Synchronised timecodes can also help.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Pioneer Member

I spent maybe 5 minutes really trimming and alingning to make it look right. I've never heard of timecodes... I know I've posted this recently, but here is the result of my efforts. The fact that this is an ekit has nothing to do with the method of editing, I would've done the exact same thing with an acoustic kit (only louder, and in the daytime).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oPUMVaBPeA
Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Timecodes can be a bit complicated, but essentially what you'd do is use an external clock (say, on a DAW) and then plug it directly into the camera with the same clock being used. This can be done on quite a lot of gear, but isn't really necessary for this sort of work. When using multiple, multiple cameras (professional work) you'd want all the cameras to be synchronised.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Pioneer Member

Ah, well considering that I record using the one onboard tiny camera while recording live in the DAW I don't think my production crew (me) needs to trouble themselves with timecodes.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Ah, well considering that I record using the one onboard tiny camera while recording live in the DAW I don't think my production crew (me) needs to trouble themselves with timecodes.
No you don't. But if you were to do anything in the future requiring multiple cameras, give it a shot. I've never done it either, but it's the same as synchronising MIDI clocks when you have (say) a hardware sequencer and a DAW running at the same time. Particularly common with DAT recording I've found...