DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Default Current drum trends you wish would go away

I'll start:

"The Big Cymbal thing". 16" hats, and two 22" cymbals is all that is used on a gig, usually super thin and super dark too, so that they have no definition and you might as well be hitting a gong instead.

"The stacker/white noise/O-Zone thing". Wasn't this old and tired 10 years ago? Jeez!

"The no rack tom thing". I recently had to play a show where another drummer was backlining the kit. Bass drum and floor tom only. Seriously? Just because you don't use a rack tom, most other drummers do! Ever think of that? And no drummers I know bring a rack tom with them for a kit that is being provided for them! I don't get it. It's typically the smallest drum in your arsenal; it's not like it's a pain to carry one around or load in the car!

"The really deep snare thing". The same drummer from above with no rack tom actually used my kit a little more recently (It was mine turn to show him what a "real" backlined kit was like lol). He was using an old parade drum for snare that I swear was about 10" deep. He complained to me that my snare stand wouldn't go low enough for him. Yeah, no sprite there, Sherlock! If you're going to use that deep of a snare, you should also bring your own stand, because hardly any stand will go low enough to get a snare that deep at a comfortable level. That same guy also uses 17" hi-hats and just oozes "total douche". I can't remember his name, so I call him "Mr. Trendy Douche" LOL!

Related to "The really deep snare thing", "The lifeless, dead sounding snare thing". I know the "Fat" snare sound is in and can be cool if done well, but most of the time it just sounds like a poorly tuned, $20 snare, regardless of what it really is. The D-bag from the above two examples............his snare sounded worse than a plastic container full of wet packing peanuts. He went on and on about how much he loves that snare. Whatevs...............

One more: "The really nice, expensive kit with doubly ply heads and 12 moongels on every drum thing". Played a recent show where the drummer that followed me had a gorgeous C&C kit in WMP that looked unbelievable. I know those drums sing and sound great too. Sadly, no would ever know. He had a 2-ply EMAD on the bass drum batter side with additional duct tape and a giant blanket inside of it. He had EC 2's on all the toms with probably about 4 moongels per drum minimum. Snare sound.... see above. A very expensive, luxurious custom kit that sounded like hastily tuned cardboard boxes.

Last edited by vyacheslav; 01-18-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
I'll start:

"The Big Cymbal thing". 16" hats, and two 22" cymbals is all that is used on a gig, usually super thin and super dark too, so that they have no definition and you might as well be hitting a gong instead.

"The stacker/white noise/O-Zone thing". Wasn't this old and tired 10 years ago? Jeez!

"The no rack tom thing". I recently had to play a show where another drummer was backlining the kit. Bass drum and floor tom only. Seriously? Just because you don't use a rack tom, most other drummers do! Ever think of that? And no drummers I know bring a rack tom with them for a kit that is being provided for them! I don't get it. It's typically the smallest drum in your arsenal; it's not like it's a pain to carry one around or load in the car!

"The really deep snare thing". The same drummer from above with no rack tom actually used my kit a little more recently (It was mine turn to show him what a "real" backlined kit was like lol). He was using an old parade drum for snare that I swear was about 10" deep. He complained to me that my snare stand wouldn't go low enough for him. Yeah, no sprite there, Sherlock! If you're going to use that deep of a snare, you should also bring your own stand, because hardly any stand will go low enough to get a snare that deep at a comfortable level. That same guy also uses 17" hi-hats and just oozes "total douche". I can't remember his name, so I call him "Mr. Trendy Douche" LOL!

Related to "The really deep snare thing", "The lifeless, dead sounding snare thing". I know the "Fat" snare sound is in and can be cool if done well, but most of the time it just sounds like a poorly tuned, $20 snare, regardless of what it really is. The D-bag from the above two examples............his snare sounded worse than a plastic container full of wet packing peanuts. He went on and on about how much he loves that snare. Whatevs...............

One more: "The really nice, expensive kit with doubly ply heads and 12 moongels on every drum thing". Played a recent show where the drummer that followed me had a gorgeous C&C kit in WMP that looked unbelievable. I know those drums sing and sound great too. Sadly, no would ever know. He had a 2-ply EMAD on the bass drum batter side with additional duct tape and a giant blanket inside of it. He had EC 2's on all the toms with probably about 4 moongels per drum minimum. Snare sound.... see above. A very expensive, luxurious custom kit that sounded like hastily tuned cardboard boxes.
Well, everyone has their own preferences. I mean, my phone can do WAY more than I use it for. Does that mean I shouldn't own it? Dude spent his money on gear he likes... You don't have to be a racecar driver to buy a Ferarri.

As far as anyone with an unusual kit (lefties too)... If you've agreed to provide the backline, bring something that can be made to work for most people. Otherwise, you're just being a d!©|<. If you can't bring something normal, don't offer to provide the kit. It's just common courtesy.

And if you have specific unusual equipment requirements (like a really low snare stand), don't expect other people to have that stuff on hand. That's just poor planning.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
I'll start:

Why so bitter man? I'm sure you're not the only one who's got the market cornered on things that make sense. If you're a badass player, make due on what you have to use, or go home. Somebody did a thread like this a while back and it was actually cool because nobody was ranting about what they didn't like - it was just a nice thread. You sound angry about it. You ok?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

I would have personal taste based opinion on other musicians choices, but it's really not my business.

A house kit should probably be a standard 5-piece, but if it's a one time thing and one of the drummers is bringing a kit I'd probably call the guy/gal just to know. Obviously, just a floor tom is not a very service minded choice, but it depends. I know some that that's the only kit they have. They should have asked someone else to bring a kit. I've never had the issue. What I have seen is perfectly fine kits covered in tape which I then remove and actually tune the drums decently, maybe for the first time. It's not hard to understand though. They're kits used daily by kids and amateurs who just don't know better. I had to fix it and they don't mind. Noone thought it was possible to make it sound that good. Now they know.

I choose to focus on the players and the music I like.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:24 AM

I've played on some backline kits that should've been taken out back and shot. But I always bring breakables, so as long as I can get the bass drum sounding acceptable, I just get on with it.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

YouTube videos of mediocre players with horrible technique playing a cover of the flavor of the day being praised as God's by everyone because the song is currently popular. I wish that would go away.

Gear wise, I got no gripes.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you're just getting annoyed with other drummers, it happens doing gigs with multiple bands. We all do things differently. A good drummer just gets on with it on a backline kit, as long as the audience are enjoying it who cares!

People follow trends, they're not always good trends but usually they are trying to sound like their favourite drummer/band. It's their cash let em spend it and maybe look back in a few years and think 'what was I doing?'
Old 01-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Why so bitter man? I'm sure you're not the only one who's got the market cornered on things that make sense. If you're a badass player, make due on what you have to use, or go home. Somebody did a thread like this a while back and it was actually cool because nobody was ranting about what they didn't like - it was just a nice thread. You sound angry about it. You ok?
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to talk about things that get on our nerves. We all need to let off some steam from time to time, plus we're all friends here ;). I don't agree with all of the gripes the OP mentioned, but a beautiful kit being moongelled the point of suffocation is something I don't like to see.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Erberderber
This message has been deleted by Erberderber.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

It's easy to be negative. Definitely a trap to be avoided.

I do understand your sentiment.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Multi-ply drums. They are the McDonaldís of the drum world. Theyíre everywhere, boring, and uninspiring.

Weíve got lighter kits (Oriollo aluminum), moisture-proof and tougher kits (Jenkins-Martin fiberglass), and single-ply kits (N&C, Craviotto, etc.), and even a few hollow-log kits (although those are not practical for gigging out). All of those sound as good as multi-ply, and most of them sound better. And the aluminum and fiberglass kits could easily be (especially aluminum) produced cheaper than multi-ply kits if it were done on a larger scale.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I don't think your backline experience, once or twice, with the same guy is a trend but only an experience. Sounds like you started the thread to rant. Anyone have an true trends they would like to share?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Gold Member

It is funny that a lot of trends you mention are just kind of returns to earlier trends.

Maybe that is just showing your trend preference.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

When I was a youngster, it would be considered very poor taste to crash on a ride.

As I got older, it became a standard practice.

A little while later, it became standard practice to crash-ride the crash cymbals.

All of this cymbal bashing is like smashing a big gong. A big gong is a beautiful musical instrument and smashing it is puerile.

It seems rock drummers are devolving back to resembling apes.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know, I have a hard time critiquing things that a drummer mounts his/her equipment or even equipment choices. I'm all for "right tools for the right job."

If a drummer feels that a song should involve remnants of broken cymbals on some sort of string, then so be it...but it's definitely not for me.

Funny story: I was playing with a band a couple of months ago, and I didn't know 2/3 of the songs we were going to do. I brought only a floor tom (in addition to kick, snare, hats, and two cymbals). I heard the lead singer start "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. I knew then I was a goner. :)

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 01-18-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:47 PM

Trends,by their nature, come and go. If you don't like any particular one then just don't buy into it. No point spending energy dissing other peoples choices just cos you don't like them..... one of the beauties of drums is that there are so many options and variations to try that we can all be different and like what we like.

I agree that if you're providing a back line kit you should be considerate of other peoples needs and make it more 'normal' than 'trendy'.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
When I was a youngster, it would be considered very poor taste to crash on a ride.

As I got older, it became a standard practice.

A little while later, it became standard practice to crash-ride the crash cymbals.

All of this cymbal bashing is like smashing a big gong. A big gong is a beautiful musical instrument and smashing it is puerile.

Except if you go further back there was no such thing as a crash or a ride cymbal. They were just cymbals.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post

Guilty as charged! I used to be Captain Caveman in my last rock band. Not anymore!

Here's some great words from Todd Sucherman. This link should lead you to the part where it addresses the myth about playing hard.

https://youtu.be/z-avEV_T4YQ?t=20
Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Gear wise, I got no gripes.
Scratch that, I have one. Constant complaining about budget minded, quality pedals from the major manufacturers not being fast enough. Sorry, but it isn't the pedal, it's you. Go practice more. I know it isn't a trend per say, but no one complains about their $600 pedal not being fast enough.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Viva la difference-it's all good or bad depending on your preference. I was almost offended by "YouTube videos of mediocre players with horrible technique playing a cover of the flavor of the day being praised as God's by everyone because the song is currently popular." but I realized no Demi-god worship here so my viewers are grounded in know crap when they hear-see it LOL. It's like there is only good music and bad music (as Buddy would say) just depends on your perspective what category it falls. Diversity and variations are as inevitable as our biology. Viva la difference!
Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Scratch that, I have one. Constant complaining about budget minded, quality pedals from the major manufacturers not being fast enough. Sorry, but it isn't the pedal, it's you. Go practice more. I know it isn't a trend per say, but no one complains about their $600 pedal not being fast enough.

I used to be pretty darn quick with the Tama pedal that came with my rockstars back in the early 1990s.

For a while, I was quicker with it than I was with my DW 9000.

Looked just like this. And you know what? After almost 25 years of use and travel, it STILL works just fine.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I feel like my DW9000 isn't fast enough all the time... then I just realize I need to practice more.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Not all big cymbals are gongy, or have incredibly long sustain or sound dark, but at some point you can no longer reach the bell on the ride or get your hi hat stand where you need it, without the hats eating into your snare real estate or forcing something else further away.

Not all deep snares sound deep or unresponsive. It all depends, but depending on your height, yeah, you might not be able get a deep snare to go as low on the stand as you like.

The death by moongel thing is annoying, Iíll have to agree. At some point you have to wonder why have drums at all. Wide open drums donít sound right with blast beats, but everything usually dwindles down to the lowest common denominator, especially in shared stage/back line set situations.

Iíve played just about every combo of set there is. I usually donít even move things. Just too much time wasted. Iíve also played the 1 snare/ 1 FT thing when I had a 7pc at home. You just adapt. The audience usually doesnít expect a Neil Peart fill and wonít mock you for not doing one.

Iíve seen a few...I do mean a few drummers do interesting things with the white noise/stack stuff. I have an Ozone. Itís super smooth and I like it a lot, but having said that, I canít seem to find a good place to use it. The interesting thing about the Ozone is itís made me like my Wuhan China less. So much so, itís spent most of last year in a cymbal bag in favor of the Ozone, but the Ozone has been played less than the China ever was.

I suppose thatís more of a preference change than to say the Ozone is a fad. Donít know. Sure is a smooth cymbal though!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

Being the old Fuddy Duddy that I am some of the trends I wish would go away are :

Beer Can Bass drums ( depths longer than 16")
Hihats larger than 15 "
Crashes larger than 20 "
Three Ply drum heads
Colored drum heads ( Black, colors)
Cajons
Old 01-18-2019, 06:48 PM

I just bought a classic maple kit and all new Paiste cymbals to the tune of $5000+.

I use two ply batters, but the only muffling is a felt strip in the kick. The cymbals are all big.

I use longer length 5A or 7A sticks, and don’t hit particularly hard. I’ve never broken a cymbal, very rarely break a stick or head.

My kit sounds great, and is very comfortable to play.

If your life is making you so unhappy that you feel more in control by knocking other people’s taste and choices in what they play, I hope things get better for you soon.

I, and probably no one else here, bought my gear to ruin your day, but if it does I guess it’s your problem to deal with.

Last edited by Jbravo; 01-18-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

While I can play anything at this point, you'll have to pry my DW 9000 from my cold dead hands.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

I don't sense that Vyacheslov was being sour or bitter in any way. Heck, it's a point of very important discussion. I don't know how old he is, but I'm in the Gripey Old Man territory, so I feel free to issue all the "Get Off My Lawn!" proclamations I want.

To wit:

- Cymbals tilted away from the drummer. Don't do that. It offends me, and it looks stupid, too. And get off my lawn!

- No cymbal felts or wing nuts. What's wrong with you? Sensitive and socially-minded engineers have slaved over their drawing boards for well over a century to figure out a way to keep your cymbals on the stands. They are surely very depressed over this trend. Don't do that. It looks sloppy. And get get off my lawn!

- And, while I'm at it, stop putting your toms in snare stands. This should be an easy one. They're called SNARE stands for a reason - they hold up snares. Dummies. Get a TOM stand instead. And get off my lawn, for cryin out loud!

- I'm getting really worked up here . . . don't get me started on those 30" crash/ride cymbals. Don't ... do ... it!

GeeDeeEmm
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

- And, while I'm at it, stop putting your toms in snare stands. This should be an easy one. They're called SNARE stands for a reason - they hold up snares. Dummies. Get a TOM stand instead. And get off my lawn, for cryin out loud!
GeeDeeEmm
Never found a mount that lets me pull the tom out from under my cymbal enough. The snare stand gives me that flexibility. Whether others do it for looks or not I canít say, but ergonomics wins.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Never found a mount that lets me pull the tom out from under my cymbal enough. The snare stand gives me that flexibility. Whether others do it for looks or not I canít say, but ergonomics wins.
I tried a snare stand before I bough my arch mount. I found if I tightened the basket enough to secure the tom it sounded choked, so I got the arch.

However, I enthusiastically support your right to use one, and anybodyís right to use what works for them. :)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Go on with your bad self, vyacheslav. I don't see any issues with a little rant every once in a while.

To answer the thread topic, a trend that I just don't "get" would be effects cymbals, stacks, etc. I guess I'm more of a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy and like to see the limits of my equipment stretched as opposed to adding more pieces. Second, the exponential increase in cymbal lines/types is insane to me. There is option overload with cymbals, and companies are still finding ways to successfully market esoteric sounds to us. I always think back to Ecclesiastes: "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

Now, in the spirit of ranting, a little part of me dies when I see kits fully outfitted with budget line cymbals. It's a total waste of money and seems like the choice of an uneducated, impatient purchaser/player. The only exception to that would be a heavy hitter using that number of budget cymbals, and in that case, another part of me dies if said heavy hitter is pummeling away on $350 K Zildjians and will turn around and buy another set as soon as they're ruined.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Multi-ply drums. They are the McDonaldís of the drum world. Theyíre everywhere, boring, and uninspiring.
They've also been the standard forever... not exactly a "trend".
Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
- Cymbals tilted away from the drummer. Don't do that. It offends me, and it looks stupid, too. And get off my lawn!

- No cymbal felts or wing nuts. What's wrong with you? Sensitive and socially-minded engineers have slaved over their drawing boards for well over a century to figure out a way to keep your cymbals on the stands. They are surely very depressed over this trend. Don't do that. It looks sloppy. And get get off my lawn!

- I'm getting really worked up here . . . don't get me started on those 30" crash/ride cymbals. Don't ... do ... it!

GeeDeeEmm
I'm actually with you on all of these. Of course the middle two are superficial and just remind me of my first hobbled together drumset before I had proper gear so there's that association; the extremely-way-too-big cymbals bother me from a practical standpoint; and the tilted away cymbal thing has to be some collusion between cymbal and stick manufacturers to sell replacements because other than for attention, I see no other reason to ever do that with a cymbal that's more than two feet off the ground...

Last edited by Mustion; 01-18-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

GeeDeeEmm
So if they are labeled as a tom/snare stand then I can use it for my tom?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 PM
jimmyjazzuk
This message has been deleted by jimmyjazzuk.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 PM

More "get off my lawn" complaints!

-Suitcases as bass drums
-Stacks of seashells and various garbage on all cymbals
-The above will have the obligatory coated EMAD on their floor tom
-Mapex/Meinl/Tama youtube videos where everyone has a beanie on with tilted away cymbals playing uber jank musak sounding garbage
-S$%t eating grinning pretty girls that are mediocre at best drummers acting like they are Vinnie reborn on youtube

-instagram filtered overhead pics of the hipster 2-3 pc kit with jingles/seashells, emad on floor tom, meinl extra drys, electronic sample pad, fancy rug, various eclectic percussion do-dads everywhere... the beanie on head and fitted vintage clothing, tattoos, would be pictured, but they are busy taking the pic. Maybe a hip beverage visible in the pic as well.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdrummerky View Post
More "get off my lawn" complaints!

-Suitcases as bass drums
-Stacks of seashells and various garbage on all cymbals
-The above will have the obligatory coated EMAD on their floor tom
-Mapex/Meinl/Tama youtube videos where everyone has a beanie on with tilted away cymbals playing uber jank musak sounding garbage
-S$%t eating grinning pretty girls that are mediocre at best drummers acting like they are Vinnie reborn on youtube

-instagram filtered overhead pics of the hipster 2-3 pc kit with jingles/seashells, emad on floor tom, meinl extra drys, electronic sample pad, fancy rug, various eclectic percussion do-dads everywhere... the beanie on head and fitted vintage clothing, tattoos, would be pictured, but they are busy taking the pic. Maybe a hip beverage visible in the pic as well.
So are you saying you don't like tattoos, or just on the S$%t eating hipster crowd? :)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Except if you go further back there was no such thing as a crash or a ride cymbal. They were just cymbals.
Back when I was a youngster and couldn't afford decent cymbals, I used to borrow marching cymbals from school. Even recorded with them and nobody ever knew the difference!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
So are you saying you don't like tattoos, or just on the S$%t eating hipster crowd? :)
Both. J/K just having a laugh, no offense intended!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjazzuk View Post
fusion sizes: 10" 12" 14" 20" shallow drums instead of wider 12" 14" 16" 22" deeper drums. Some might have a very valid reason playing those sizes but why have a fusion kit in a heavy rock band? probably because thats all that was on offer in the drum store!

anything that prioritises looks over utility like having everything perfectly flat to the point where it is bad for your wrists and the equipment
The whole "everything must be perfectly flat" thing is baffling to me. I remember it first started becoming a huge fad around the time Travis Barker got huge. Before then, people would just put drums in whatever positions felt comfortable to them (crazy, I know). But suddenly, drummers were breaking out levels to check the flatness of everything. And there were those who would lament that their cymbal stands with teethed tilters didn't have a 'flat' position. But while it may not be not my cup of tea, to each their own.

The trend I'm not a fan of is the "You don't set your drums up like mine, so you're wrong" mentality that seems so popular. Opinions are one thing. But I've seen people (as I'm sure you all have) get downright mean over stupid stuff like tom angles, legged vs. mounted floor toms, cymbal height, hardware choices, head choices, someone's drums being too pricey, or too cheap, muffling vs. wide open, drum depths, etc. With everybody out there, trying to be unique, and have their own sound/style/look, it's very odd when people get upset that your gear isn't like theirs.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
The whole "everything must be perfectly flat" thing is baffling to me. I remember it first started becoming a huge fad around the time Travis Barker got huge. Before then, people would just put drums in whatever positions felt comfortable to them (crazy, I know). But suddenly, drummers were breaking out levels to check the flatness of everything. And there were those who would lament that their cymbal stands with teethed tilters didn't have a 'flat' position. But while it may not be not my cup of tea, to each their own.
A counter-trend to that is the near-vertical tilting of cymbals so ubiquitous in the 70s and 80s... rides, chinas in particular. Which don't stay at that angle unless cranked way down with a bunch of felts..
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
A counter-trend to that is the near-vertical tilting of cymbals so ubiquitous in the 70s and 80s... rides, chinas in particular. Which don't stay at that angle unless cranked way down with a bunch of felts..
True! And now we have drummers tilting them far away.

Maybe the next trend for 2019 will be to mount your cymbals below the drums.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
They've also been the standard forever... not exactly a "trend".
The first toms were all hollow log drums.

#justsayin