DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:56 PM

Default Drum Covers and recording???

Okay guys. I'm just getting back into playing, and I'm not ready to record myself yet. But, when I am, I'll have NO IDEA HOW!!!

If someone can hook me up with a link/tutorial on recording a track & yourself playing, AWESOME! Thanks I'm sure there is some equipment involved that I don't have yet.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Covers and recording???

Are you recording video or just audio?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Microphones, source for audio (ipod, cd player, iphone etc), a mixer and a recording device (be it audio or video or both). Itís very simple. If you want to edit it, search for free software like audacity for audio editing only.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

What is your aim for recording yourself? Self improvement, YouTube, demos, full-blown studio recording? That will help us narrow in on what you need to buy. "Recording" is as wide a question as "I want to play drums, what do I need to buy?"

Regardless of your goal, though, you'll probably need a computer and a digital audio workstation of some kind - Audacity, Reaper, GarageBand - to work with the recordings after you get them.

EDIT: A very inexpensive way to do simple recordings of yourself is something like the Zoom H1N (~$79). If you want video with it, the Zoom Q2N is ~$130.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Are you recording video or just audio?
I guess I will want to share my playing at some point. . .Both I would assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottliver View Post
Microphones, source for audio (ipod, cd player, iphone etc), a mixer and a recording device (be it audio or video or both). Itís very simple. If you want to edit it, search for free software like audacity for audio editing only.
I was DJ for 1/2 my life, but I'm assuming you're talking about an 8-track mixer or similar??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
What is your aim for recording yourself? Self improvement, YouTube, demos, full-blown studio recording? That will help us narrow in on what you need to buy. "Recording" is as wide a question as "I want to play drums, what do I need to buy?"

Regardless of your goal, though, you'll probably need a computer and a digital audio workstation of some kind - Audacity, Reaper, GarageBand - to work with the recordings after you get them.

EDIT: A very inexpensive way to do simple recordings of yourself is something like the Zoom H1N (~$79). If you want video with it, the Zoom Q2N is ~$130.
Most of what I record will be for personal use, and posting stuff here on occasion. This won't be for studio, and most-likely won't be for YT either.

Thanks guys. I'll take a look around for your suggestions.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

1. Zoom Q2N, set to 1080p, 30 fps
2. Small mixer -- 4 channels, with a minimum of two XLR inputs
3. Two mics -- a condenser for overhead, and a dynamic for the kick
4. 3 stands -- two for the mics and one for the camera
5. Two XLR mic cables
6. One RCA to 8th inch stereo cable for the output of the mixer, into the Q2N
7. One cable to connect the output of whatever is playing the song (your phone, a laptop, etc.) to the two left-right 1/4 inch inputs on the mixer.
8. An extension cord (or other external power source) to the Q2N because the battery life is not great.
9. Additional lighting for the room. No, the existing room lights are not good enough, unless there are lots of windows and the sun is out. Without additional lighting, the picture will be grainy and the movements choppy, no matter how great the camera is, or what settings you use.