DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:46 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Drum Sounds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwLx9UiYhxU

Here's a short video I made yesterday. I'm still dialing in the new room but, this is getting real close to what I like in my sound.

I'm only using a buss compressor for the overall mix and very little reverb....just to glue the kit down.

Mic's are all Shure

B52 Kicks
SM57 Snare Top
SM98 Snare Bottom
SM98 All Toms
SM91 Over Heads

The toms...because of my low tuning.....really need a sub in your audio system to hear the tone. These drums absolutely sing in this register but because most of the tone is below the 250Hz range....you need a speaker with some size to reproduce what's there.

Cheers y'all. Hope all is well with everyone.
DRod
Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Drum Sounds?

Sounds fantastic to me, but the right hand bass drum needs the John Deere sticker on it to be complete.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
The toms...because of my low tuning.....really need a sub in your audio system to hear the tone. These drums absolutely sing in this register but because most of the tone is below the 250Hz range....you need a speaker with some size to reproduce what's there.
You weren't kidding. Listened first through my laptop which has a decent system (soundblaster with onkyo speakers), then ran it through my home system with wharfedale towers, and it's night and day. those toms sound HUGE, yet still have a clean attack.

I also love your snare, it has a nice pop. I've been trying to get a similar sound, sounds like it's tuned a little on the higher end?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Sounds fantastic to me, but the right hand bass drum needs the John Deere sticker on it to be complete.
Haha...yeah, I do have to get another sticker to balance it out huh? LoL.

I tried to get them to make me a "tractor" style seat but, they didn't seem too keen. haha.
Who better to make a top quality throne top then John Deere? Plus the bright green with the yellow stripe and logo.....that's pimp. LoL.

Still trying with em though.

D
Old 05-19-2016, 04:59 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockyslam View Post
You weren't kidding. Listened first through my laptop which has a decent system (soundblaster with onkyo speakers), then ran it through my home system with wharfedale towers, and it's night and day. those toms sound HUGE, yet still have a clean attack.

I also love your snare, it has a nice pop. I've been trying to get a similar sound, sounds like it's tuned a little on the higher end?

Hahaha...yeah, Anything smaller than a 8 or 10" speaker has issues reproducing those frequencies.

Cheers on the snare, It's a knurled Bronze 6 x 14 DW (of course) I get loads of compliments on it.
Tuning...yeah....a little higher than normal for me. I'm usually in the med (both heads) range but, this head was dying and I was too lazy to change it yesterday so, I needed to tighten it up a little to get the life back. Haha.

D
Old 05-19-2016, 05:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Really great sounding kit Derek. The whole set sounds gorgeous. The kind of kit that's hard to stop playing because it's so satisfying.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM

What kind of heads are you using on your bass drums? I run a 20X20, but it is no where as deep as what you are getting. Any setup information you would care to share?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Really great sounding kit Derek. The whole set sounds gorgeous. The kind of kit that's hard to stop playing because it's so satisfying.
It really is....haha. Thanks Larry

D
Old 05-19-2016, 06:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhtrinity View Post
What kind of heads are you using on your bass drums? I run a 20X20, but it is no where as deep as what you are getting. Any setup information you would care to share?
I have P3s on the batter and black DW "ambassador" on the front.

My kicks are 16 deep...think that's why I get the low end from....doesn't have to move the vibration as far down the shell to get it to thump.

I've always noticed that shorter bass drums always sound bigger when mic'd.

Cheers,
D
Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've always noticed that shorter bass drums always sound bigger when mic'd.
My experience as well.

Drums sound great Derek!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 PM

my only issue with it is that the hats seem to be opening the gate on the 8" tom (im just guessing on that) and sometimes you get a blast of hats on the very far left.

otherwise righteous tones.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds very nice indeed.

I know this is a strange thing to ask, but do you have the raw tracks available from that session (no gate/eq/verb)?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:25 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
my only issue with it is that the hats seem to be opening the gate on the 8" tom (im just guessing on that) and sometimes you get a blast of hats on the very far left.

otherwise righteous tones.
Thanks man,
Yeah that comp I'm using is very sensitive in the high end if the threshold isn't dialed in...was a rush job just to get an idea anyway. Awesome plugin comp though... if anybody is interested

Massey CT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Sounds very nice indeed.

I know this is a strange thing to ask, but do you have the raw tracks available from that session (no gate/eq/verb)?
Here are go...a short section. No Comp No verb

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-D...ew?usp=sharing

Cheers,
D
Old 05-20-2016, 12:39 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Also keep in mind, these heads are over a year old. haha.

D
Old 05-20-2016, 03:40 AM

the Massey plug-ins are really great.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

This is the "playing the spaces" I like so much in you Derek - superb!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:27 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks Andy, I appreciate that so much.

D
Old 05-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Andy, I appreciate that so much.

D
No problem Derek - your musicianship is so often hidden in plain sight. I struggle to enjoy your metal playing, because I struggle to enjoy pretty much all modern metal playing, but when you come away from that, your choices really shine to me. Now about some decent quality drums -------------- ;) ;) ;)
Old 05-27-2016, 12:38 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
No problem Derek - your musicianship is so often hidden in plain sight. I struggle to enjoy your metal playing, because I struggle to enjoy pretty much all modern metal playing, but when you come away from that, your choices really shine to me. Now about some decent quality drums -------------- ;) ;) ;)

Hahaha...you rule.

D
Old 05-27-2016, 03:26 PM

wow that kit looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous!! Used my good headphones and wow! Unbelievable tones out of that kit.

It also really helps me with making my decision about bass drum depths. I'm having Pork Pie build me a kit and I've been debating on the 22" vs 20" bass drum and debating what depth. This really helps make up my mind. Thank you!

As always killer playing Derek!!
Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
wow that kit looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous!! Used my good headphones and wow! Unbelievable tones out of that kit.

It also really helps me with making my decision about bass drum depths. I'm having Pork Pie build me a kit and I've been debating on the 22" vs 20" bass drum and debating what depth. This really helps make up my mind. Thank you!

As always killer playing Derek!!
Hi Spaz,

That saved me a job :-) When I read Derek's note about his bass drum depths I thought to myself that I'd go on to your thread and point you in this direction....but you had already done it yourself. I do think Derek's description of the air not having to travel so far to get the thump is better than my contortions around air column size too ;-)
And a second vote for the good headphones (NOT earphones) idea too. I used my Goldring noise cancelling phones (great value for money if you find Bose prices a bit eye watering) and the kit has got masses of body through them.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Man the toms and kick sound monstrous. Love that snare too-is that a 13X9? Oops just noticed 6X14. Awesome recording and great playing as usual.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
13X9? Oops just noticed 6X14.
C'mon Art - get your act together! Wine O'clock?

My arms have absolutely given up on life after a full 10 hours of bearing edge finishing, so I've just opened an especially pleasing Pino Gris & preparing a lamb rogan josh with chickpeas :)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Matt Bo Eder

That sounds great and some great playing there Derek! Beautiful kit as well. Technical question: I'm assuming you have several cameras set up static around you? Or do you have a film crew? I'm wondering how people do multi-camera video shoots and how they go about getting it edited on the cheap? I have cameras, I've never dealt with more than one camera video file though.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Cheers Andy! After 10 hours of bearing edge work you deserve a break. The lamb sounds delicious! No my act flew out the window about two weeks ago when I quit drinking coffee-my daily headaches have stopped but my get up and go-got up and left. Maybe I should have curbed down to a cup a day before I went cold turkey.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
That sounds great and some great playing there Derek! Beautiful kit as well. Technical question: I'm assuming you have several cameras set up static around you? Or do you have a film crew? I'm wondering how people do multi-camera video shoots and how they go about getting it edited on the cheap? I have cameras, I've never dealt with more than one camera video file though.
Hey,

Nah...no film crew.
I'm unpredictable when it comes to video taping myself and most of the time I'm just geeking out on the drums and I think to myself "I should record this". Haha.
It's very hard for me to say to myself...."OK I'm going to video today.

So, with that said...I'm all stationary.

But, I would love to have someone who can do moving shots, etc......

When I decided to make my first DVD, I really started researching the cost = Profit margin numbers and came to the conclusion that I should teach myself to do video and video editing.

This way, I wouldn't have to pay someone or have a distro company do it for me and send me into debt. haha.

I went out and purchased Final Cut Pro and taught myself how to edit.

My first DVD was my first attempt at editing multi camera's, etc so it was a huge learning experience for me.

I've always been an advocate of video recording ourselves because you can see right in front of you...things you need to correct. It's a great learning tool.

I need to get back into it. For a while I was pumping out videos a few times a month.

Anyway, if you think you might want to get into it...and need a starting place....hit me up.

Cheers,
D
Old 05-27-2016, 10:26 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Thanks you guys.

Hey,

Nah...no film crew.
I'm unpredictable when it comes to video taping myself and most of the time I'm just geeking out on the drums and I think to myself "I should record this". Haha.
It's very hard for me to say to myself...."OK I'm going to video today.

So, with that said...I'm all stationary.

But, I would love to have someone who can do moving shots, etc......

When I decided to make my first DVD, I really started researching the cost = Profit margin numbers and came to the conclusion that I should teach myself to do video and video editing.

This way, I wouldn't have to pay someone or have a distro company do it for me and send me into debt. haha.

I went out and purchased Final Cut Pro and taught myself how to edit.

My first DVD was my first attempt at editing multi camera's, etc so it was a huge learning experience for me.

I've always been an advocate of video recording ourselves because you can see right in front of you...things you need to correct. It's a great learning tool.

I need to get back into it. For a while I was pumping out videos a few times a month.

Anyway, if you think you might want to get into it...and need a starting place....hit me up.

Cheers,
D
Thanks! I've already been making videos with iMovie and one camera, I'm just not hip on doing multi-camera shoots, especially now that I actually own three cameras that can shoot. I was going through some tutorials on YouTube and I guess I just need to do it and learn how to get all the separate footage into the computer and then Learn how to switch to different footage while syncing with the audio I record separately on my Zoom R16.

I need to find time to dive in, I suppose.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Thanks! I've already been making videos with iMovie and one camera, I'm just not hip on doing multi-camera shoots, especially now that I actually own three cameras that can shoot. I was going through some tutorials on YouTube and I guess I just need to do it and learn how to get all the separate footage into the computer and then Learn how to switch to different footage while syncing with the audio I record separately on my Zoom R16.

I need to find time to dive in, I suppose.
Word,

The video programs are basically the same as the audio....the set up, etc
Don't know if you are doing multi track audio but, if you are...video will be very easy.

The syncing part is also easy as most of the programs have a function that automatically does it by analyzing the wave files of each video.

Hit me up if you have any questions about it.

Cheers,
D
Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 AM
mrmike
This message has been deleted by mrmike.