8x7 Tom Tuning and High-Hat Issues

I'm having the exact same balance issues as before because my toms are too high (over the kick).

I think you're making far too big a deal out of the correlation between foot board angle and the seat height. It's a largely irrelevant triviality that seems to be distracting you from what is really important.

Comfort dictates, no doubt about that. But you can get bogged down in insignificant details too. I'm thinking this may well be such a case.

I think you're making far too big a deal out of the correlation between foot board angle and the seat height. It's a largely irrelevant triviality that seems to be distracting you from what is really important.

Comfort dictates, no doubt about that. But you can get bogged down in insignificant details too. I'm thinking this may well be such a case.

Agreed.

You know what would really help? A few pictures.

I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. I seriously doubt the issue is as big as you're saying. Hell, what would happen if - heaven forbid - you had to play on somebody else's kit?!

EDIT: Did some digging and found your hardware thread. The issue is nothing to do with your pedals and nothing to do with your toms. It's that you're sitting too low. Far too low. You seem to have this '90 degree' idea in your head but I'm afraid to say that's nonsense. Did you know that Phil Collins had to stop drumming because of the back problems he developed from sitting too low? Raise your drum stool to something reasonable, at least 3-4 inches and get used to it otherwise you're going to have massive problems when you kit share.

Agreed.

You know what would really help? A few pictures.

I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. I seriously doubt the issue is as big as you're saying. Hell, what would happen if - heaven forbid - you had to play on somebody else's kit?!

EDIT: Did some digging and found your hardware thread. The issue is nothing to do with your pedals and nothing to do with your toms. It's that you're sitting too low. Far too low. You seem to have this '90 degree' idea in your head but I'm afraid to say that's nonsense. Did you know that Phil Collins had to stop drumming because of the back problems he developed from sitting too low? Raise your drum stool to something reasonable, at least 3-4 inches and get used to it otherwise you're going to have massive problems when you kit share.

That thread is no longer relevant I have completed changed around my set and the seat is much, much higher than it was before. Pictures I can post...

I wish I could explain better the balance issues I experience but I have no easy way to do that. It is rather besides the point since the pedals aren't the problem, its just the High-Hat.

I thought that as well until I raised my pedal and seat height and all my problems went away. There is a certain angle where my legs work their best and outside of that it's uncomfortable. What could be a problem is the lack of reach for my cymbal stand mounted toms causing me to lean backwards because of the angle. I'll fix it to how it was before and take some pictures.

I thought that as well until I raised my pedal and seat height and all my problems went away. There is a certain angle where my legs work their best and outside of that it's uncomfortable. What could be a problem is the lack of reach for my cymbal stand mounted toms causing me to lean backwards because of the angle. I'll fix it to how it was before and take some pictures.

Really suggest a few lessons mate. I realise you're trying to slog it away under your own steam, but you keep hitting hurdles that appear to be far greater issues to you, than what they really are.

A good teacher will have matters of set up, comfort and ergonomics, ironed out in your first lesson........freeing you up to concentrate on the actual playing.

Right. Here's a good way of solving your issue.

Take your kit apart. Take your stool and sit on it at a comfortable height. Now look at where your legs sit naturally. Put the hi hat pedal where your left foot sits naturally, not where you think it should fit. Do the same with your right foot and put your bass pedal there.

Work from that. Honestly. It will save you hours of hare-brained theories and ideas about your set up and show you the best way to set up for you.

Right. Here's a good way of solving your issue.

Take your kit apart. Take your stool and sit on it at a comfortable height. Now look at where your legs sit naturally. Put the hi hat pedal where your left foot sits naturally, not where you think it should fit. Do the same with your right foot and put your bass pedal there.

Work from that. Honestly. It will save you hours of hare-brained theories and ideas about your set up and show you the best way to set up for you.

+1. I went to a clinic with Tony Coleman, B.B. Kings drummer, and the first thing he did was this. Throne, then pedals, then drums., Once the pedals are set, don't move them. Tony was about showing us how to drum and not showing off his chops.

I would also try Youtube for "setting up your drum set" some of it is basic and I don't mean to offend but it can't hurt, and we promise not to watch.

Would you like a medal for pointing that out?

Ha, please relax it's only a forum. It seems you're asking for advice and sort of not taking it, at least mine.

I saw a picture of your setup and I would advise you to let a pro setup your kit and explain the reasoning for it. You will have to put up with an adjustment period.

Back