DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Default NOTHING TO FEAR but fear itself...

Not referring to fear about performing, but fear for my drums! I'm bringing my Purewood Mahogany kit out for a gig tonight. Their first gig ever. I bought them way back in 2006 and so far they have never seen a stage. Which is a dirty shame on my part and really kinda stupid, because they sound amazing. But they are so gorgeous and I SO dreaded getting that first nick on them, that instead I've bought and used three other kits for gigs instead.

Well, I'm drawing a line in the sand, right here and now. My band is doing a pretty cool gig tonight at a nice club with a great sound system. It's about time I turned these babies loose to see what they can do.

Please wish me luck, say a little prayer, keep me in your thoughts. Hopefully we come home early tomorrow morning unscathed!
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: NOTHING TO FEAR but fear itself...

Best of luck! And that is a gorgeous kit!! No wonder you've been so protective. :-)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

criz:

A few months ago I would not have thought too much about this thread and your feelings about this.

But I just acquired a new drum kit, my first, and now I know exactly how you feel. Might be a long time before I take my new kit out for a gig.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

hey Critter-

Let me ask you something: When your wife gets her first crows' feet, and her lips begin to thin, and she gains a few pounds, will you love her less? Of course not. Well, you know how much much more important a drum set is than a wife, right? So you may come home with her having been touched by other men, one or two might even play with her, but in the end she's still the same drum set you fell in love with at first sight. You'll be resentful at first, but soon the pain will subside. It's time, right now, to renew those holy man/drum vows. Then suck it up and be a man. Your marriage will last no matter how many beatings you give her. Now hold her, squeeze her like you'll never let go. Love is a manu splendored thing.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 04-19-2015, 01:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
hey Critter-
.............. hold her, squeeze her like you'll never let go. Love is a manu splendored thing.
GeeDeeEmm
A manly spattered thang.

Words of wisdom? Or fan mail from some flounder? I think you are correct, sir. That's the conclusion I have come to, that is letting me do this tonight. If I don't do it, I'm depriving myself of the pleasure of really experiencing this kit. I always experience a kind of feedback loop with my drums. When they are sounding great it totally energizes my playing. So tonight should be a great night.

Of course, I'm still not going to take them out to the dive bar sort of gigs....
Old 04-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

Honestly, if I had your kit, I would be hesitant also. Such a beautiful finish. This is why I decided to go with a wrap finish. There not as pretty as wood finishes, but they're still good looking and quite durable. I've brought them to numerous gigs and they still look great. It also helps to have good Protection Racket bags.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

Funny I just broke my Live Oak Customs cherry at a gig this afternoon. No damage YET. I expect by the end of the Summer they will have a few road scars. Bought them to beat them :-)
Old 04-19-2015, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Funny I just broke my Live Oak Customs cherry at a gig this afternoon. No damage YET. I expect by the end of the Summer they will have a few road scars. Bought them to beat them :-)
How did they sound?

How well did they project?

Old 04-19-2015, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criz p. critter View Post
If I don't do it, I'm depriving myself of the pleasure of really experiencing this kit.
Indeed sir.

They were designed to be hit and heard. Not for sitting on a shelf in the fine china cabinet.

Get 'em out and enjoy 'em.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Indeed sir.

They were designed to be hit and heard. Not for sitting on a shelf in the fine china cabinet.

Get 'em out and enjoy 'em.
My thoughts exactly. I understand the desire to keep something in good condition, but ultimately, drums are designed to be played. Obviously, context is everything. If you have more than one kit, don't take the best one to the worst gig.

If you buy drums because they sound good, then use them when you want to sound your best. If you buy drums primarily because they look good, then keep them at home & pamper them.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

They are drums, there purpose in life is to be played, what is the point of spending money on a kit you love the sound of if you dont gig it?

If you bought it just cos you love the way it looks, then keep it in the living room and just look at it.

I just bought a new and very expensive ride cymbal and it looks and sounds fantastic. Should I keep it in a display case, as playing it will make it dirty and any strike with a stick might just crack it?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I merely cite the example of Willie Nelson's beat up guitar, SRV's beat up Strat, and others. You are seriously the only person that any nicks would bother. There's always magic marker. I gigged a lacquer set of DW's, caseless for a few years. It got nicks. I magic markered them, but you can't tell unless you are right on top of it looking for imperfections.

It's just stuff. It's not like a person.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

Looking forward to hearing how the gig panned out, Criz. How'd it go?

GeeDeeEmm
Old 04-20-2015, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

I bought my drums to play them.

My drums have been on a wide variety of gigs, and not always in the most ideal situations. But I also bought really nice cases for them and took lots of precautions.

There is still only one small scratch them on, and that is not from a gig.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

Well, everything worked out perfectly. Drums sounded awesome, like I knew they would, and I got nothing but comments from band and audience members on the look and sound. I did have one thing happen that freaked me out. As I was taking the kick out of my car, I accidentally closed one of the rear doors and whacked its sharp bottom corner into the top of the kick. Fortunately I have very good soft cases, and the kick was not harmed at all.

So now the worst is over. I feel comfortable with gigging my Gretsch and can't wait to do it again. If and when the nicks come, I'll deal with it. Of course, like KIS said, I won't be taking it places like crap clubs or outdoor gigs. I've got an old Remo kit for those gigs.

Here's a crappy iPhone pic of them onstage last night.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2015, 06:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I merely cite the example of Willie Nelson's beat up guitar, SRV's beat up Strat, and others. You are seriously the only person that any nicks would bother. There's always magic marker. I gigged a lacquer set of DW's, caseless for a few years. It got nicks. I magic markered them, but you can't tell unless you are right on top of it looking for imperfections.

It's just stuff. It's not like a person.
I completely agree. It just took me about 8 years to figure that out.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I completely agree. It just took me about 8 years to figure that out.
You should also tell some of us when your gigs are.

I mean, it's not there other Southern California residents on here or anything.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
You should also tell some of us when your gigs are. I mean, it's not there other Southern California residents on here or anything.
Thanks for the interest! Next gig isn't until May 20, at Joxer Daly's in Culver City. There's a link to our website in my signature, that has all the info.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not referring to fear about performing, but fear for my drums! I'm bringing my Purewood Mahogany kit out for a gig tonight. Their first gig ever. I bought them way back in 2006 and so far they have never seen a stage. Which is a dirty shame on my part and really kinda stupid, because they sound amazing. But they are so gorgeous and I SO dreaded getting that first nick on them, that instead I've bought and used three other kits for gigs instead.
I'm glad to hear it worked out.

To put you even more at-ease.... You can buy clear nitrocellulose based fingernail polish at the dollar store. With a minimal amount of practice, you no longer have to worry about little nicks and dings, and can now focus on worrying about real issues like theft and fire.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Gold Member

FEAR= Future Events Appearing Real

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 04-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Glad to see it worked out for you! But yeah, as beautiful as they are, they deserve to be played out. Everywhere.

I was never happy with using a sub-standard intermediate kit for a gig - I hated it so much that both of my working kits are high-end monsters. And like Larry, I just use them. It's much more important to me to sound great and feel comfortable than it is to worry about possible damage to the instrument. Some of you freaked out when I announced I was throwing my Reference Pure kit in the back of my open bed truck with no cases.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

instrument
noun in·stru·ment \ˈin(t)-strə-mənt\

: a tool or device used for a particular purpose; especially : a tool or device designed to do careful and exact work

ornament
noun or·na·ment \ˈȯr-nə-mənt\

: a small, fancy object that is put on something else to make it more attractive
Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post

I was never happy with using a sub-standard intermediate kit for a gig
That is so a 180 degree turnaround (that I happen to agree with ;)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
That is so a 180 degree turnaround (that I happen to agree with ;)
True - it's taken me a while to get to this point, but what really pushed me to that side was the down-tuning of the drums. It really is true about the tuning range of higher-end instruments. If I stay medium to high, cheaper kits have no problem with this. But the low to mid is crucial. My Ludwigs hold the low tuning, and the fundamental pitch is just so sweet when you go with the lower bendable pitch. The Reference Pures are even moreso because of the addition of the flatter bearing edges and the African mahogany on the bigger drums.

I blame listening to the Eagles ;)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
True - it's taken me a while to get to this point, but what really pushed me to that side was the down-tuning of the drums. It really is true about the tuning range of higher-end instruments. If I stay medium to high, cheaper kits have no problem with this. But the low to mid is crucial. My Ludwigs hold the low tuning, and the fundamental pitch is just so sweet when you go with the lower bendable pitch. The Reference Pures are even moreso because of the addition of the flatter bearing edges and the African mahogany on the bigger drums.

Although I'm mildly pulling your string, I happen to completely agree. I think (within reason) it's incumbent on us as performers to put our best foot forward, & if we're lucky enough to have an instrument that's more capable of achieving a good result, it should be used.

Ok, I'm in a fairly unique position, but I have no issue taking even the most recording focussed drums on a gig if they offer something I want. The very worst of gigs (drug dens / fighting bars, etc) I won't do anyhow, so that's not an issue. As all of our drums are natural finish, should any cosmetic damage occur, they're really simple to repair anyhow.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
"......As all of our drums are natural finish, should any cosmetic damage occur, they're really simple to repair anyhow.
So says the guy connected to the shop ;)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So says the guy connected to the shop ;)
If you can use sandpaper, put some cotton wool in a piece of cotton to make a rubber, lightly apply a few layers of shellac to the affected area, then apply some wax & buff to finish = it's easy. Most people with reasonable hand skills can make a good job of it, & certainly way easier than performing a significant repair on a modern gloss finish, or even a wrap.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well, everything worked out perfectly.

So happy to hear that it worked out for you. May I make one suggestion? That kit would really stand out with a white coated or Renaissance head on the bass drum - with the Gretsch logo, of course. A classic-looking drum set like that deserves a classy looking bass drum head! That's what i think, anyway.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 04-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
To put you even more at-ease.... You can buy clear nitrocellulose based fingernail polish at the dollar store. With a minimal amount of practice, you no longer have to worry about little nicks and dings, and can now focus on worrying about real issues like theft and fire.
Good tip, thanks... Oh and thanks for reminding me about EVERYTHING ELSE I need to worry about!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I was never happy with using a sub-standard intermediate kit for a gig - I hated it so much that both of my working kits are high-end monsters. And like Larry, I just use them. It's much more important to me to sound great and feel comfortable than it is to worry about possible damage to the instrument. Some of you freaked out when I announced I was throwing my Reference Pure kit in the back of my open bed truck with no cases.
Good point. In my case, my gigging kits aren't sub-standard. One is a 3-ply 70s Ludwig, and the other a Remo Acousticon, which is a great sounding kit. But the Purewood is such a monster that it really leaves them both in the dust. Now that I've actually played it out I can't wait until the next time. However, I'm still going to exercise caution on keeping them as nice as I can. No throwing them in the back of pickups for me!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I too love to keep my drums tuned as low as they will go. And here again the Purewood totally shines (literally as well as figuratively) because of the African Mahogany. My 3-ply Ludwigs can't go as low or hold the tuning as well.

I don't know where I picked up my preference for the low tuning, but it sure as hell wasn't the Eagles! No offense...
Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
So happy to hear that it worked out for you. May I make one suggestion? That kit would really stand out with a white coated or Renaissance head on the bass drum - with the Gretsch logo, of course. A classic-looking drum set like that deserves a classy looking bass drum head! That's what i think, anyway.

GeeDeeEmm
I agree. The kit came with the black, and I think it suits it, but I'm going to try new heads for the next time: white coated Ambassador reso and a Powerstroke 3 to replace the EMAD it came with. That should really open it up.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you can use sandpaper, put some cotton wool in a piece of cotton to make a rubber, lightly apply a few layers of shellac to the affected area, then apply some wax & buff to finish = it's easy. Most people with reasonable hand skills can make a good job of it, & certainly way easier than performing a significant repair on a modern gloss finish, or even a wrap.
Andy,

Do you have a quick way of determining whether a gloss finish is nitro, poly/shellac, or catalized acrylic? The only way I have is from my luthier days where you use a cotton swab and some acetone. If it dissolves the finish, it's nitro. If it clouds, it's poly. If it does nothing, it's acrylic. The "smell" test only works on brand new instruments.