DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:30 PM

Default 'I want you' by Bob Dylan

I am at logger heads with the band leader over the beat for 'I want you' by Bob Dylan. I originally played it in a swing style almost like a quickstep if you will but hes insisting its a shuffle. I disagree as it has a distinctive country feel to me and I think that quick step feel nails it. In the mean time we are playing it with me just doing quarters on the ride while we work on the arrangement. Whos right or are we both wrong??

Last edited by Diddles; 02-10-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: 'I want you' by Bob Dylan

I vote shuffle.. but i would actually be more upset at having to listen or play dylan :)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:01 PM

Hi thanks for reply. A shuffle. You also have me worried. A friend insists its a swing country 2 beat and play quarters but swing the eighths!
As for playing Bob, you got to feather your bed!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Haven't thought about the song in a while, and without listening again, I also say it's a shuffle (but played at a brisk enough tempo where it might be interpreted as straight, implied train beat.)

Okay, decided to listen after all, it's absolutely a shuffle - the kick and fills give it away. :)

Bermuda
Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddles View Post
A friend insists its a swing country 2 beat and play quarters but swing the eighths!
And, that would be a shuffle. If you try to swing 1/4 notes, you're looking for trouble!!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 PM

What about the country 2 beat? Possible?
Old 02-10-2015, 07:24 PM

That is one fast shuffle and I read the drummer played it with brushes! Whipping up a storm at that speed. Kenny Buttrey, great player, lovely touch.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
What about the country 2 beat? Possible?
If the guys are deliberately playing it that way, you kind of have to follow suit. Just don't put straight 8ths in-between, that way you're not playing it (too) incorrectly, and they also get what they want.

If played at tempo, only a few (older) musicians would know the band isn't doing the shuffle. Sometimes you make small concessions in order to take a stronger stand on more egregious misinterpretations. Choosing your battles carefully is part of being a pro.

Bermuda
Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 PM

Thanks Bermuda
Solid words. I am rehearsing the tune later with the full band. I will do a super swing shuffle combo. Isnt a swing beat a shuffle with a few notes missing anyway :) . If it doesnt work out we can blame the bass player for being too 'notey'!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Isnt a swing beat a shuffle with a few notes missing anyway :)
A swing is a shuffle, although a shuffle isn't necessarily swing.

Heh, musicians like to claim there aren't any rules in music, however there a are a bunch of corollaries that are important to know!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Okay, decided to listen after all, it's absolutely a shuffle - the kick and fills give it away. :)
Wow, how can you hear any kick in that song, at least the old recording/version?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:00 AM

Hearing stuff in songs is what I do for a living. :)
Old 02-11-2015, 12:28 AM
"Uncle Larry"

From the tempo, I hear this as a mid tempo 2/4 with a variation of different beats on the snare with brushes. I think a full on shuffle with a backbeat would be too much, the tempo is kind of fast for a full on shuffled anything. I see it as a hybrid beat between 2/4 country or polka type beat coupled with a varying snare part. As far as I can tell, it's just kick, hi hat chicks only, and 2 brushes on the snare playing the jazz ride beat in places, shuffling in places, backbeating and swishing in places, train beat in places. Custom fit snare part to a relatively unchanging feet pattern.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:20 PM

Back in my time zone! Thanks for all the replies. I had a cut off the tune last night and we trundled along with a swing cymbal beat with a lot of off beats on the snare both played with brushes and there was no 'faces' made by anyone!:)

Live when I play sticks (we dont mike up kits on my circuit) the dynamic will change but as I said to the band . This tune needs a solid rhythm section just knocking out a steady beat and let the guitarist add the colour!

I didnt shuffle it fully on the ride as it was too fast but the stuff i dropped from from the ride pattern probably was closer to a swing if you get my drift.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

Just curious why you want to swing it so bad? still working on getting a good shuffle down? And im not judging, i couldn't play it either way...

Quote:
Back in my time zone! Thanks for all the replies. I had a cut off the tune last night and we trundled along with a swing cymbal beat with a lot of off beats on the snare both played with brushes and there was no 'faces' made by anyone!:)

Live when I play sticks (we dont mike up kits on my circuit) the dynamic will change but as I said to the band . This tune needs a solid rhythm section just knocking out a steady beat and let the guitarist add the colour!

I didnt shuffle it fully on the ride as it was too fast but the stuff i dropped from from the ride pattern probably was closer to a swing if you get my drift.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:21 PM

I must admit I see this tune as one for punters feet on the floor and I suppose I play it in a way that I feel it as you do. I would hope my beat would get them up and am still liking the whole fast 2/4 swing thing. Ultimately you got to play what you feel as you know.