DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Antonio Sanchez: Always Communicate with the Audience

Birdman cinematographer, Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubezki: "We had the drum-driven score going, because the drums were like the heartbeat of the character — it helped the actors get in the mood and the camera to get the rhythm."

=====

In Conversation With Jazz Drummer and Composer Antonio Sánchez
Adriana Teresa Letorney, Co-founder & Creative Director of FotoVisura, Inc
Posted: 12/30/2014

AT: The Oscars disqualified your film score for "Birdman". Why?

Sánchez: Their explanation is that the licensed or incidental classical music "dilutes" my original score enough that it deemed disqualification.

AT: What is your perspective on the disqualification?

Sánchez: Basically, ...the Academy is saying...the classical music takes so much away from my score that it is ineligible. [T]he score has been getting a lot of praise for something...I performed...by myself on drums -- an instrument...many might not consider worthy of producing emotion the way a symphonic orchestra would. I have been playing drums for over 38 years and composing for over 20. [M]y main goal is always to communicate with the audience, and say something meaningful with my instrument.

Nobody walks out of that movie raving about the classical music. Instead, everybody talks about my score because it is very unique, new and powerful and it has never been done like that for a film.

My main issue with the disqualification is...it takes away from the artistic risk, innovation and originality...we put into the film score. [i]t sets a bad precedent for other composers that will want to take risks and do something innovative.

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals
Old 12-31-2014, 04:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Antonio Sanchez: Always Communicate with the Audience

Along with the WFD thread, and now this issue of being disqualified for an Oscar award, because of blah blah blah....

It seems anytime you try and quantify/define/judge music, it opens up a world of trouble.

Certain things just cannot be quantified to any standards, and music is one of them.

I'm thankful for that. You cannot quantify beauty. I don't want beauty quantified. Certain things defy quantification, and to attempt that...kind of nuts in a way.

I can definitely get on board with positively communicating with the audience. The person on the mic can really hamstring a bands likability, regardless of how well the music is played.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

The music industry is so f***ed up at every level. I was watching some documentaries on the various sessions musicians who made all the hit records of the 60s and 70s, like the A Team, Swampers, Funk Brothers, etc. None of those amazing musicians get royalties for playing on those hits. The way terms like "songwriter" are defined is where the problem lies. It's antiquated and out-of-touch.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:18 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
The music industry is so f***ed up at every level. I was watching some documentaries on the various sessions musicians who made all the hit records of the 60s and 70s, like the A Team, Swampers, Funk Brothers, etc. None of those amazing musicians get royalties for playing on those hits. The way terms like "songwriter" are defined is where the problem lies. It's antiquated and out-of-touch.
It really is. The business part ruins everything for me. I'm glad I don't have to depend on music to pay my bills, for me it would suck the fun right out of it. As far as royalties go...it's just not fair to the talents of the musicians that breathe life into the notes. I feel everyone on a track deserves royalties, with the songwriter getting more, naturally. But don't leave out the people who actually make the song into a hit. Musicians could be the most exploited cross section of people in the "workplace".