DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:05 PM

Default Zildjian FX

I have the zildjian a391 cymbal set, and i love the bright tones with my drums. I am a heavier drummer, though, and i only have the zbt china and zbt splash, which i have always despised. Are the A custom splashes and the fx oriental chinas any good? and are they worth the investment?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Zildjian FX

Yes they are much better than the series you currently own, zbt is an entry level, the A series is a professional cymbal. As far as if they are worth it, only your ears can determine that. Head to a store and try some out to see what you think.

Me personally I think they are worth is as I play A and A customs and have for 3 decades now. But I strongly urge you to hear them for yourself at a shop. You can pick up 5 A custom cymbals of the exact size and weight and each one will sound different. I've put many a cymbal back trying them out till I found the one that sounded best to me.

It's a good idea to have someone else hit them so you can stand back 10-15 ft and hear what they sound like from the audience perspective, the sound is different from what you hear behind the kit.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Congrats on your A's!

Yes they are worth it! I suggest going to the store and trying them out.

as for the a custom splashes, try out the sizes first.

as for the chinas, the zildjian oriental chinas are what i would go for. They are great!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.zarate View Post
Congrats on your A's!

Yes they are worth it! I suggest going to the store and trying them out.

as for the a custom splashes, try out the sizes first.

as for the chinas, the zildjian oriental chinas are what i would go for. They are great!
The As and FX series are certainly a step up. I think the A Custom splashes sound quite fine, as well as the FX Oriental splashes. However I think the Oriental chinas sound like absolute hot garbage, especially in the smaller sizes! The 19" K Custom Dark or Hybrid chinas are the only ones I'd recommend from Zildjian, personally I think Sabian and Meinl have vastly preferable selections. All depends on your ear though, so you should definitely see if you can try a couple out.