DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Default Results of 2nd Craigslist ad session...

So just got home from playing over three hours with the five people (including me) that we put together to play. Here are the highlights/lowlights in case you're interested:

I didn't do anything fancy but kept up with most songs and one of the guys even said he was impressed with my consistant timing :)

One guy we know will be someone we won't play with again...very strict, wants everything his way and we were able to tell very quickly that if we were to form a band, he'd quickly take over and be very controlling, everything from what songs to play to how to play them the way he wants them done - don't need that! For example, we did a bluesier version of Led-Zep's Rock and Roll (a little slower, a little more soulful). It actually sounded great and I picked up on a great groovin blues beat pretty quick. Anyways, this guy hated it and his opinion is if it's not note for note the original, it's not worth playing. While I see that opinion, I don't actually subscribe to it, especially at my level.

The other guy was great. Right up the BF's and my alley from music tastes to making the music all about fun, and we will definitely being getting together again. He was a good guitar player, an okay lead singer and was definitely in it to have fun. He was great to work with and the three of us read each other really well. :)

The keyboard player's reaction was hard to read even though he was the one guy we already knew going into this.. He seems to be a good keyboardist but not sure what his take away was but we'll ask him to join us if he wants to with the other guy. If he doesn't want to, that will be fine as well.

So, overall, we had a good day, found someone we want to play with and who we work well with and we'll see where it goes from there. I have work to do but I love playing with other people as I seem to do pretty well keeping up, even if it's just a beat and no fills. I like it being more about the "feel" of the music than trying to get every thing down stroke for stroke.

All and all a fun and successful day :) I'm beginning to feel like a musician (sort of) lol.

Thanks for all of the support!
Mary
Old 07-14-2013, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Results of 2nd Craigslist ad session...

Sounds like you are getting in with a better group than the last Mary.
I also like to play Rock and Roll slow sometimes. We do it that way with a female vocalist that I sometimes perform with. The song takes on a whole different groove when it is at moderate speed.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Hey, sounds pretty good there, Mary. I see nothing wrong with putting your own spin on a familiar classic... Gives you a fresh perspective, in my opinion.

While I do think it's important to play some of the music as close as possible to the original, you definitely DO NOT need some guy with an authoritarian complex mucking up the whole process. Where's the FUN in that??

This Craigslist business is totally crazy. I was trying to schedule a sort of meet and greet with 3 other guys who responded to my CL ad (who seemed to meet my criteria) so we could see where we stood with each other musically. One guy replied back that he'd like to meet for a beer and I haven't heard a word from the other two. Maybe it's time for a second try with a new, more explicit ad, I don't know.

Anyway, keep your chin up. This thing is bound to work out sooner or later.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 AM
"Uncle Larry"

So Mary now you have drums, guitar and bass. Even if you don't get anyone else, that's the core unit right there. And that is a beautiful thing. I love trios, everyone has their own sonic space that doesn't overlap much. A trio...if you can hold a trio together, you are a strong drummer. You're very exposed but you also get more latitude than with larger bands. There's so much you can do as a trio. I'd rather play with my trio than my 6 piece any day of the week. And my trio only has one vocalist, the leader. If everyone pulls their weight...a trio is all you really need to have a really great band. Led Zeppelin was a trio.

My 2 shekels.... is to just get a bunch of songs together as a trio, and after you have 30 songs or so, then maybe add another player. Maybe. A smaller band is easier to manage logistically. And if you do decide to expand, you 3, who all get along....no new player should be able to "take over" the established majority. Because you can just fire them. A good solid core rhythm section is a wonderful thing to belong to. It's simple, effective, and sized right to gig with. A trio tends to strengthen each player, because no one else is in their sonic space, generally speaking, and they have free reign over it.

I see this as great news, key player or not. You sound so confident and grounded and seem to have a really good honest view of things. Like I definitely don't think of you as a beginner anymore. You are well past that. You are developing your own opinions and you seem to trust your judgments already. Way to go. I just love every new development in your story, and it is especially inspiring to the new drummers who are following your saga who are just getting their feet wet.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats Mary. Must feel great after that last gig.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Teamwork is the most important part. If you're doing $10K corporate gigs, then tolerating a bit of diva is something one can put up with. For weekend fun at the local bars, life's too short to make playing music feel like work.

As long as nobody tries to "fill up the space", a trio can be great. A steady groove on the drums, meshing on the groove with notes on the bass outlining the changes, and a chordal instrument filling in enough harmony to make it work. If the bass player tries to keep a constant drone or the guitar player tries to get a continuous rhythm figure going, life will be hard. The instant someone stops, like the guitar player stops strumming to do a single line solo, the bottom falls out. Well arranged space is a trio's best friend. So don't be afraid of it. You can "keep it going" with just kick and snare on opposite quarter notes. I did this a few weeks ago playing Feelin' Alright and the bass player picked up on it and started playing really sparse. More folks hit the dance floor and we just grinned at each other.

As for the speed thing, it was a great local drummer who pointed out to me that really good singers and musicians like things a bit slower so there's more space to work the song. It's the folks that aren't quite as good that feel the need for everything to be breakneck and "energetic".
Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone. I'm not adverse to keeping it a trio but don't want to leave out our keyboard friend if he wishes to participate. Hes a good guy and musician. We will let him make the decision at this point, no pressure either way. The most important thing at this point is how the BF (bassist) and the guitarist got along. They worked really well together and their personalities really meshed. BF is even making the effort to call the new guy today to just tell him how much we enjoyed playing with him. For the BF to do this is a big thing...lol.

Off to a good start and right now we are just looking forward to having some fun.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

When people blend together musically and personally like your BF and the guitar player that is the start of the, "Magic" that makes music happen.
I have experienced this most recently with one of the jazz bands that I play with. We can't wait for practice night each week. We all seem to relax when we play and drive the band, each in their own way. Our sessions are filled with excellent music and laughter instead of competition and tension. This allows us to be creative because we are listening to each other with respect. We trust each other to play their part to compliment the output.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

It all sounds very positive indeed, and I'm glad you have the confidence to discard the guy you didn't like working with.

Looking forward to the next update!

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a cool situation - without the "I wanna be the boss, dude".