DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Ringo Now Using Yamaha Drums??

Believe it or not, it's true. Well it is for the drummer of a great tribute act called Classical Mystery Tour. www.classicalmysterytour.com

I saw this band with our city's symphony 2 years ago and their Ringo was playing a gorgeous Ludwig Classic Maple black oyster pearl kit, in all it's glory.

So last evening I went to see the band again and I was shocked to see this time around he's on stage with a Yamaha Maple Custom. I mean, it sounded great and all and the drummer was fabulous, but really? Isn't it an unwritten rule of law that any Ringo impersonator be required to play some form of Ludwig kit? Vintage, new, whatever? Anyway, I spoke with the Lennon person after the show who said the band cannot travel from city to city with a drum kit (time, money constraints?? he didn't say....) so they rent a kit in each city. Sure I know this has always been a common practice but it's surprising nonetheless. He says that black oysters are hard to find in some cities, but jeez. Whomever the tour manager is should get on the ball and plan ahead for a black oyster kit in each city. Doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to do.

Anyway, here's a photo of the imposter kit.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM
The Old Hyde

Default Re: Ringo Now Using Yamaha Drums??

Yeah at least get a wrap that matches if not ludwig drums. The bass players in Beatles bands always get a Hofner bass so the drums should at least look the part
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

Still flabbers my gast that grown men make a career of doing what I and my friends did pretty well when we were 17 at college.

Irritates me a little...but hey, I guess whatever floats their boats.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

I Agree with you.It just dont look right.......
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Really, how hard can it be to schlep around a four-piece kit and a few cymbals? Design and pack it right an one person could transport the whole thing by themselves.

If Terry Bozzio can move his monstrosity from town to town, then certainly a Ringo impersonator can move a dinky four-piece. You can do it if you really try. Sheesh.

Also, the drummer cage is just silly looking. Unless they are trying to muffle the drums to replicate the fact that Ringo's drums were virtually inaudible, which would be a very very authentic thing to replicate.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Really, how hard can it be to schlep around a four-piece kit and a few cymbals? Design and pack it right an one person could transport the whole thing by themselves.

If Terry Bozzio can move his monstrosity from town to town, then certainly a Ringo impersonator can move a dinky four-piece. You can do it if you really try. Sheesh.
+1, It's probably just (if not more) as expensive to rent kits every time they move somewhere else as to just bringing the Luddies.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 AM

Looks like late model Beatles circa the Twickenham sessions (Let It Be/Abbey Road) with the two mounted toms and kinda the color.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Also, the drummer cage is just silly looking. Unless they are trying to muffle the drums to replicate the fact that Ringo's drums were virtually inaudible, which would be a very very authentic thing to replicate.
That may be the venue. Some places like Vegas insist on it. Everything must be carefully controlled by the soundman. Although I don't see any shields of the Vox AC30, which can get pretty loud. Maybe it's just a prop and they're going though a Pod like the sound-dudes like.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

The beatles always used a sneeze shield too... I think only drummers would notice. No?