DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Auditions for New Reality TV Show, "America's Next Top Drummer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
That quote from Jojo is deep and spiritually correct, but Jojo's playing is incredibly over the top, all of Nerve's music is completely overplayed by the drums, it makes Gerald's performance with Mary J Blige looks bland in comparison, there's some "do as I say, not as I do" vibe in that quote IMO, at the end of the day, it remains solely subjective to taste, personally, I liked Gerald's approach on that song... as I like Jojo's performances with Nerve.
Yes but Nerve is Jojo's project, he has complete freedom to do whatever he wants. Check out how restrained his playing is when playing in another setting:

http://janekgwizdala.bandcamp.com/track/to-begin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0TNnHBS0as

That performance of Gerard was a little too much for me, but hey, I saw Mary and the other vocalist dancing all throughout the song. Wonder what happened after the show was over...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldiefeld View Post
I was recently told about a new reality tv show that is in the planning stages. It's called "America's Next Top Drummer" and the host is Gerald Heyward. The full press release and information about how to register for the auditions can be found here:

www.americasnexttopdrummer.com
Very interesting. I wonder what an encompasses the "audition" and then what you actually do during competition.

NYC is only a 45 minute drive for me so it's feasible to audition, although paying $50 to register for an audition?? Please. This just turned me off to it.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
are you suggesting that "Gospel Chop" guys are not legit players who deserve to be there?
This is hilarious and a great point! However, most artists get their start in church. I know a really great, sick and tasteful drummer that knows how to do the church chops, but obviously has a real passion for tasteful playing. Here are two different versions of his playing that I found on Youtube.

Phil 'NaturalPhil' Johnson
Church:http://youtu.be/E0C0blhtteE
Tasteful: http://youtu(dot)be/RmCOkqplQOQ?hd=1

Here is the website www.naturalphil.com
Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Why only in America? T__T (sad face)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM

if its anything like the guitar center drum off then no thanks. never had such a bad experience. people that could barley play fills were chosen over us seasoned players. they should tell people going in that if you are 40 and can play dont do it. waste of time. anyone had this experience?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 PM

$50 registration fee to "try out"? Talk about pay-to-play......
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Can you imagine John Q Public getting though, much less understanding the Black Page? I have a friend who made it though a couple levels of the GC drumoff thing. The next year he decided to really wow them with 4 way independence. The drummers that understood had their jaws on the floor. Everyone else was "what is this mish-mosh of noise?"

I suspect stick tricks and raw speed would predominate.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

1st Place Winner will recieve a PDP Concept Maple kit and DW 3000 Hardware pack (a value of S2,135.95). Wow! I'm packing my bags as we speak!!!

That's probably $1,099.95 in real world drum gear.

What, no $1,000,000?

Last edited by mmulcahy1; 09-05-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM

When it comes to "reality" tv, one can observe many things, but reality isn't one of them. A friend of mine is a very accomplished, world class vocalist: his barbershop quartet won the SPEBSQUA world championship in 2004. However, barbershop is not his only forte. He can and does do anything. He went in to audition for "American Idol" a couple years ago, and had prepared a serious stemwinder jazz piece to really show off his chops. And they never even let him sing a note. He didn't have "the look" they were looking for. Which is to say, he was over 40, but not quirky enough to be one of their throwaways. They took one look and showed him the door. Talk about pissed off...

Had he been allowed to sing, things might have been different (and, of course, if "reality" had any meaning to the producers of these shows). But, no- a show that is supposed to be all about singing is actually all about finding people with a certain look and set of personality traits who might also be able to sing, sort of.

I'm extremely cynical about this form of entertainment, to the point that I can nearly guarantee that whoever makes it through onto the show will not be anywhere *close* to the best players: they will be people who look a certain way, can have human-interest stories woven around them, and can be made to predictably develop contrived conflicts with one another so that the offstage portions of the show might be something other than stone boring.

In short: save your $50. Doesn't matter what the title is: it is not going to be about music, except in passing...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

ALL 'reality' shows need to die soon.

Please don't start a new one.

Here's an idea. Maybe we'll get in a car and drive to a live venue to see a real live music performance with real musicians!

I know, I know, I'm old fashioned but....

:)

Jim Martin Music
Old 09-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesporter View Post
I understand having over the top extravagance is something that many artists want in their backing musicians. Extravagant movements and stage presence is fine, but this was completely unmusical.
How do you measure musical and unmusical in an objective way?
What's wrong about that performance of Gerald's? He maintains a terrific groove with a
steady and strong backbeat (and downbeat, too), plus he increases tension with "gospel
chop" fills as the song goes on. Very genre-like. As faithful to the style as Jojo's playing
with Nerve.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesporter View Post
I understand having over the top extravagance is something that many artists want in their backing musicians. Extravagant movements and stage presence is fine, but this was completely unmusical. I don't know, if people are into that over the top, rediculous choppy church drumming thing then more power to them I guess, but to me, and most people I've talked to it sounds TERRIBLE in the context of a song, and isn't that what we're really supposed to be doing? Playing "music". I could understand throwing some crazy 32nd note fills in a song sure but it has to work musically, this was just aweful. Yes Gerald has some amazing chops, but I'm not at all impressed with his musical sensabilities. I'll end with a quote from JoJo Mayer "my role as a drummer is superceded by my role as a musician, and my role as a musician is superceded by my role as an artist". Gerald and drummers like him need to stop thinking so much like a "drummer" and more like a "musician". Just my opinion :)
Lucky for Gerald that the artists for which he plays don't agree with you.
Perhaps you could contact Mary J. Blige and inform her that she doesn't know how to select a drummer for her music. Hey, maybe she will pick you instead. Still I can't imagine that Mr. Heyward will be out of a job for long...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 AM

I want to audition--put a metronome to 100 and play 1, 3 on kick and 2,4 on snare with no fills or crash hits for 10 minutes straight. LOL
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

The $50 entry fee is probably there to keep the riff raff out.

I can imagine the line of drummers around the block during the tryout....all with a pair of sticks and a $50 bill in their pocket.....with caviar dreams....
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skod View Post
...a show that is supposed to be all about singing is actually all about finding people with a certain look and set of personality traits who might also be able to sing, sort of.
That show is called American Idol, not America's Best Singer, and let's face it, very few musical (or acting) idols start off in their 40s. It shouldn't be a surprise that the producers are looking for singers who are marketable to a younger audience, who have always been reputed to spend the most money on music. Of course, some of those winners failed almost immediately. But others managed to surpass the producers' 5-year plan, and some of the runners-up also continue to enjoy careers.

I don't begrudge talent shows, they can be quite entertaining. But for them to be successful - read: picked up by sponsors - they need to have a fairly wide appeal. I just don't see a drummer-based show appealing to the masses. It was different a few years ago when INXS had a broadcast talent show to find a new singer: they were established and well-known, and the process was a peek into rock&roll... somewhat. But a show just about the drummer? Unless it's privately financed, it won't fly. There's just not enough exposure for sponsors, evidenced by its sole sponsor, DW - who normally loves exposure - donating a PDP kit. They couldn't even be persuaded to promote their flagship brand.

As for drummers who want to compete, Guitar Center's long running Drum-Off is established, and sufficiently sponsored, with multiple level prizes. And the grand prize far surpasses a PDP kit!

Bermuda
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
The Old Hyde

I wouldn't watch next top anything, guitar, bass, drums, band. Im the consumer, don't tell me what MY next top is!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM

this isn't a new event, spaun drums sponsored the first one back in 08 i believe.

its also not like an americal idol thing. no big name judges or on network tv (actually,
i should say "as far as i know" because it wasn't like this in the last few years, maybe it is now)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerfish View Post
this isn't a new event, spaun drums sponsored the first one back in 08 i believe.

its also not like an americal idol thing. no big name judges or on network tv (actually,
i should say "as far as i know" because it wasn't like this in the last few years, maybe it is now)
It is intended for TV, on their home page it's described as "a new reality show, to air on major networks in Winter 2013"

Bermuda
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Interesting that auditions were supposed to be held almost 3 months ago, yet the site and their facebook page haven't been updated.

I suspect this venture has run its course.

Bermuda