DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 AM

Default Tips on sound proofing?

Title says it all, any tips on affordable sound proofing or ways that work well, thanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tips on sound proofing?

Tons of threads mate. A search will give you more than you need.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

So much discussion here about it- you should search and read. Best, simplest solution I have found short of building a room inside a room and going crazy, is to use mass loaded vinyl lining on your walls, ceiling and floor. Expensive but it cuts down on the sounds tremendously but does not sound "proof". Just makes it quieter.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Yup, use the search function and you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for a month!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 AM

Well, then another related question, : Does the Egg cartons method actually work? :P
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonWelch View Post
Well, then another related question, : Does the Egg cartons method actually work? :P
I take it you didn't search then? I'm willing to bet money that this would have been asked and answered in pretty much every thread.

The answer is no, it doesn't work for soundproofing. Much like hanging a blanket, it's good for diffusing soundwaves in a lively room, but don't be surprised when someone on the other side of the wall tells you they can still hear everything.

Do yourself a favour and read the threads mate. Your questions have all been answered already. All you've gotta do is look for them.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM

I think we can help. We are developing several low cost solutions for sound control specifically for musicians. Take a moment and look at our website and contact me if you have questions. http://www.ies2000.com or email me at doug@ies2000.com
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM

For sound PROOFING, you will need mass. Panels won't do it, egg cartons and blankets, per Pocket-Full, won't do anything but diffuse.

This is why drywall is great. Massive and cheap, yet easy to work with

Keeping it Quiet
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
For sound PROOFING, you will need mass. Panels won't do it, egg cartons and blankets, per Pocket-Full, won't do anything but diffuse.

This is why drywall is great. Massive and cheap, yet easy to work with
I am currently doing sound reduction in my music room. Among other things, I am getting used carpet padding (in good shape, from a construction salvage business) and stapling it to the walls and ceiling, then putting a layer of sheetrock over that. The main hassle is relocating the wall outlets, light fixtures and switches, but other than that, it's great bang-for-the-buck.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM

I live in an apartment complex, and my drum kit stays in a small room. The walls are block.

I haven't sound-proofed it at all, but I have succeeded in making the drums a bit more neighbor friendly. I put a full loveseat (two seated couch) in the room. and then I put large coushins in the windows. Of course I put good thick carpet on the tile floor, and all that stuff absorbs the sound. You can hear the drums well if you're right outside, but people walking by on the sidewalk are talking, they won't even notice it. The neighbors can't hear it all, and I never get any complaints.

So my suggestion would be just buying furniture and coushins and filling the room. People still hear my drums, but they aren't loud enough to bother anybody at all.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ies2000 View Post
I think we can help. We are developing several low cost solutions for sound control specifically for musicians. Take a moment and look at our website and contact me if you have questions. http://www.ies2000.com or email me at doug@ies2000.com
Doug,

What will your solutions be? I took a look at the website, and at present it seems to be just the usual crop of industrial soundproofing products, which are typically not so easy to employ in a residential setting, like in a small basement drum room, I would be interested to know what you are proposing.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM

DeathMetal, avoid that assembly. You do not want carpet in between drywall. That is an urban legend. Better to just do the double drywall, or MUCH better, add a layer of Damping Compound between the drywall layers.

Keeping it Quiet
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM
jackie k
This message has been deleted by jackie k.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
DeathMetal, avoid that assembly. You do not want carpet in between drywall. That is an urban legend. Better to just do the double drywall, or MUCH better, add a layer of Damping Compound between the drywall layers.
Too late! It's already in the walls and floors. It's sandwiched between the old sheetrock and a new layer of sheetrock. But how could this arrangement be less effective than two layers of sheetrock with nothing between them?

And it's not carpet. It's carpet padding, the stuff that goes under the carpet. It is somewhat heavy and has a fair number of air bubbles trapped in it and is spongy. Both space and mass kill sound, so I know this works.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

Deathmetal, what you've created is called a triple leaf system. And it couples inside vibrations to outside surfaces where it's re-radiated as neighbor annoying noise. How the system works is Mass-Isolation-Mass. It's the isolation part that you don't achieve. Unless you managed to glue the inner layer of sheet rock to the carpet pad, you would have had to screw it though the pad into the existing sheet rock/framing. Meaning very little isolation. Especially at low frequencies where the drums are most annoying to neighbors.

The carpet pad may have helped if you put it into the framing space although it is more expensive and less effective than plain old fiberglass insulation. If you got it for free, then I guess it's okay although I'm not sure about it's flame retardancy, which may be both a code violation and a safety hazard.

What you need to do is add mass to the outer leaf. Unless it's masonry or something like that. Shingles or siding can be improved by putting one or two layers of drywall in the stud space against the inside with adhesive. Then you want the isolation. Both airborne sound which you isolate with fiberglass or rockwool insulation, and mechanical transmission which is where the fun begins. This ranges from resilient channel which can be had at Home Depot fairly cheap but doesn't isolate low frequencies very well, to iso clips and top hat channel which costs a bit more but is pretty effective, to an entirely separate framed structure mechanically isolated from the outer structure. Which is very expensive. Only then does the inner mass come into play.

The idea is to make the surface the noise strikes hard to vibrate. Then reduce the transmission of how much it does vibrate to the outer surface. Which you also make hard to vibrate. Any extra stuff in-between only short circuits this system, actually reducing the "sound proofing".

Maybe Bernard can make a soundproofing sticky where Ted and other folks who are actually in the business can explain what is really involved. As this subject seems to come up ever week or so. And all kinds of "common sense" and "my friend did this" stuff gets tossed around.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM

I can't add anything to what Aeolian summarized. Nice job!

Keeping it Quiet
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

The first tip I would give you is that soundproof is one word, not two. :-) Sound proofing would mean to edit in a very efficient manor or to listen to some good scotch.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Deathmetal, what you've created is called a triple leaf system. And it couples inside vibrations to outside surfaces where it's re-radiated as neighbor annoying noise. How the system works is Mass-Isolation-Mass. It's the isolation part that you don't achieve. Unless you managed to glue the inner layer of sheet rock to the carpet pad, you would have had to screw it though the pad into the existing sheet rock/framing. Meaning very little isolation. Especially at low frequencies where the drums are most annoying to neighbors.

The carpet pad may have helped if you put it into the framing space although it is more expensive and less effective than plain old fiberglass insulation. If you got it for free, then I guess it's okay although I'm not sure about it's flame retardancy, which may be both a code violation and a safety hazard.

What you need to do is add mass to the outer leaf. Unless it's masonry or something like that. Shingles or siding can be improved by putting one or two layers of drywall in the stud space against the inside with adhesive. Then you want the isolation. Both airborne sound which you isolate with fiberglass or rockwool insulation, and mechanical transmission which is where the fun begins. This ranges from resilient channel which can be had at Home Depot fairly cheap but doesn't isolate low frequencies very well, to iso clips and top hat channel which costs a bit more but is pretty effective, to an entirely separate framed structure mechanically isolated from the outer structure. Which is very expensive. Only then does the inner mass come into play.

The idea is to make the surface the noise strikes hard to vibrate. Then reduce the transmission of how much it does vibrate to the outer surface. Which you also make hard to vibrate. Any extra stuff in-between only short circuits this system, actually reducing the "sound proofing".

Maybe Bernard can make a soundproofing sticky where Ted and other folks who are actually in the business can explain what is really involved. As this subject seems to come up ever week or so. And all kinds of "common sense" and "my friend did this" stuff gets tossed around.
Fascinating and informative, thank you. Oh well. The family does report quite a bit of sound reduction. If it helps, in the walls, I stapled the carpet pad to the original sheetrock, then screwed the outer layer directly on it, so the padding is under some compression. In the ceiling, I screwed 1 by 4 strips to the ceiling, stapled the padding to the original ceiling, then added sheetrock, so there is no compression there. The carpet padding is flame retardant.

Are you saying it would have been better to have no padding and simply added another layer of sheetrock?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
Doug,

What will your solutions be? I took a look at the website, and at present it seems to be just the usual crop of industrial soundproofing products, which are typically not so easy to employ in a residential setting, like in a small basement drum room, I would be interested to know what you are proposing.

Thanks
What we are testing currently with a few Nashville Musicians are 4'x8' acoustical curtains. they are the same type you see in many industrial settings with the exception that these are covered in black fabric. They all have grommets all around them which make them easy to hang on just about anything...(I even hung a few from ride cymbal stands in a pinch!) The type I just described to you are the type that get Maximum absorption most certainly for studio purposes. However we are also have the same curtain but they include a "barrier" which where you will get the "sound proofing". These types of curtains are in use in the worlds largest factories and we use them to quiet down the loudest machines there are!

We will be offering them in lots of 4 or 8
Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Isn't what DMC is doing very similar to or the same thing as using GreenGlue between the sheets of drywall? GreenGlue being what reduces the vibration from one sheet to another. The way they discribe how to use GG sounds like a triple leaf system.
(sheetroc/rockwool/stud/isolation channel/sheetroc/greenglue/sheetroc)
The greenglue gets great reviews (pricey as heck thought).
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
Isn't what DMC is doing very similar to or the same thing as using GreenGlue between the sheets of drywall? GreenGlue being what reduces the vibration from one sheet to another. The way they discribe how to use GG sounds like a triple leaf system.
(sheetroc/rockwool/stud/isolation channel/sheetroc/greenglue/sheetroc)
The greenglue gets great reviews (pricey as heck thought).
I used several gallons of Green Glue to hold the ceiling tiles in place, about 175 square feet. If I'd had enough money, I would have used Green Glue for everything but the foam is cheap and now that you mention it,it does seem foam padding and Green Glue are similiar.