DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 AM

Default Preferred Setup?

As a constantly developing drummer, I've stared to question what impact the actual setup of your drumset has on your playing. When I first started getting serious about drumming, I was a bit of a metalhead. So, naturally, I wanted a set with a thousand toms and two bass drums and eightteen cymbals. However, over the course of the past 4 years or so, my music tastes have grown to include every style of music imaginable. Well, with these tastes, my drumming style has grown too, and I've cut down my kit to just one crash, a ride, a snare, a bass, and two toms. Now, I've been able to do more with this set than a huge one, and I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the subject. Is a smaller setup better for your growth, as it promotes technique over quantity of sound, or is a larger kit better because of the variety of options?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Preferred Setup?

the smaller the kit the more you are forced to tap into your creativity

nothing bad can come from that
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

I've played rock for years on a 5-piece with two crashes, hi hats and a ride. When I was in a punk band, I went to a 4-piece with one crash, etc. just to be more Punk. hehehe. After that I joined a cover band for a few years. Went back to 5-piece with two crashes, etc. again. Then decided I preferred to play a 4-piece again, but I added a splash where the 13" tom used to be, and a cowbell. So I used this set-up for a few more years to this day, but now with the music I play, which is a mostly original jam band, I find that I need to be more melodic. So now I think I need a couple more toms for variation, a china and another splash. I'm wanting a different ride sound too that's a little less pingy.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Do a search here on "big kits vs small kits", put the kettle on and sit back and enjoy the controversial ride. Honestly, the debate has been done to death. The general concensus is......there is no concensus. Opinions on the matter are as wide and varied as the way the kits are set up......just as they should be, IMHO.

Suffice it to say, some guys can say what they want on a single drum. Others prefer the options that a huge kit provides. Neither approach is right or wrong....it just is. Is Jojo any more creative than Bozzio because he uses less drums, or is Bozzio more creative because he uses more? Or are they just different approaches altogether and that's what makes each so enjoyable?

It simply comes down to this. Whatever you do, do it well......regardless of what size kit you choose to do it on.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Although I use a small setup myself, I don't think that a small kit is necessarily better for your growth. Some styles of music like extreme metal or prog rock may require bigger setups and growth within those styles may necessitate having a bigger kit. Some guys just like big kits and that's great.

Most styles of music can be played perfectly well with a small kit so I guess what the music dictates and what the drummer is comfortable with are the most important factors. Having to carry the stuff around or not is another important factor that a lot of us have to deal with. I use a four piece with 2 or 3 crashes, a ride and hats. Suits my needs.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Do a search here on "big kits vs small kits", put the kettle on and sit back and enjoy the controversial ride.
Right here ............. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=small+kit+vs 21 pages.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

I say play what you like and like what you play. Your setups may change over years, I know mine have.

After doing this for 36 years, I'm most comfortable on a traditional bebop style setup for drums. For cymbals,I use two crash cymbals in addition to two rides. Many jazz drummers don't use any crash cymbals at all.

Again, play what you like and like what you play.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 AM
Anthony Amodeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjYWLPGBdc&t=9m46s
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 AM
saturnrules

Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrules View Post
Genius that....
:-)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreaks View Post
As a constantly developing drummer, I've stared to question what impact the actual setup of your drumset has on your playing. When I first started getting serious about drumming, I was a bit of a metalhead. So, naturally, I wanted a set with a thousand toms and two bass drums and eightteen cymbals. However, over the course of the past 4 years or so, my music tastes have grown to include every style of music imaginable. Well, with these tastes, my drumming style has grown too, and I've cut down my kit to just one crash, a ride, a snare, a bass, and two toms. Now, I've been able to do more with this set than a huge one, and I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the subject. Is a smaller setup better for your growth, as it promotes technique over quantity of sound, or is a larger kit better because of the variety of options?
With all those toms and cymbals, you only settled on two bass drums?

;)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
WOW.

Start is just kick snare but solo around 45:00 is 4 pc. and I find it odd that the piano faces away from the band and crowd sort of- nice to see his hands play though. Pretty sure more toms would have detracted.

Either way. WOW.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post

I find it odd that the piano faces away from the band and crowd
Monk was a very odd cat with mental issues
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Suffice it to say, some guys can say what they want on a single drum. Others prefer the options that a huge kit provides. Neither approach is right or wrong
Agree 1,000%.

Like you i used to play alot of metal music and i thought i had to have this monstrosity drum kit. Well, times changed and so did my taste in music as well as my setup. Today i play a 4 piece with 2 crashs, ride, hats, china and splash. I can sit down and play most anything i want to with that setup. But that's just me. Everybody is different in what they like. Whatever setup you use, big or small, just love what your doing. Good luck!!

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Do a search here on "big kits vs small kits", put the kettle on and sit back and enjoy the controversial ride. Honestly, the debate has been done to death. The general concensus is......there is no concensus. Opinions on the matter are as wide and varied as the way the kits are set up......just as they should be, IMHO.

Suffice it to say, some guys can say what they want on a single drum. Others prefer the options that a huge kit provides. Neither approach is right or wrong....it just is. Is Jojo any more creative than Bozzio because he uses less drums, or is Bozzio more creative because he uses more? Or are they just different approaches altogether and that's what makes each so enjoyable?

It simply comes down to this. Whatever you do, do it well......regardless of what size kit you choose to do it on.
+1........couldn't be worded any better
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

I'll play.
I may have posted in the other thread too.

These days, I really like using 2 cymbals and hats.
It's a lot of fun, just as much as when I used a lot of cymbals. Right now I have a 20" thin Vault, and a 24" Giant Beat.
Hats are either 15" Sabian AA Sizzle hats, or a set of 15" 2002 Sound Edge hats. Both are cool.

I like using 3 floor toms, one being on the hat side, & I use it a lot. I've used just one on each side too.

I could do shows on just a floor tom on each side, and no rack tom.
Moving "out" with each hand is more comfortable to me than going up and to the side.

I use my gong in 3 of my bands--a 28" Wind Gong. It's pretty quick, so it doesn't go "uuuuuuuunnnn" for half an hour after I hit it.

I have fun on a 4 piece, too, but it's nice to use the couple extra pieces.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 AM

oh boy here we go again.
Of course, it's preference, but since I generally play heavy, progressive music, so I like a 6-7 piece kit, and at least 2 crashes, hats, and a splash.

What I have is a 7-piece,(with a double pedal, God forbid) and 2 splashes, 3 crashes, hats, and a china. and a bell cymbal on the way.

Quote:
the smaller the kit the more you are forced to tap into your creativity

nothing bad can come from that
on the flip side having a larger kit opens up more possibilities.

A smaller kit restrains you on options forcing you to be more creative, but it also restrains you on the possibilities.

And I will be 100% honest, I recently moved from a 6-piece to a 7-piece, and it is definitely very easy to get distracted when you have all of those options, but if you stay focused and play what sounds right in your head, there is no reason a smaller kit should be considered inherently better.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Satellite Brian View Post
oh boy here we go again.
Of course, it's preference, but since I generally play heavy, progressive music, so I like a 6-7 piece kit, and at least 2 crashes, hats, and a splash.

What I have is a 7-piece,(with a double pedal, God forbid) and 2 splashes, 3 crashes, hats, and a china. and a bell cymbal on the way.

on the flip side having a larger kit opens up more possibilities.

A smaller kit restrains you on options forcing you to be more creative, but it also restrains you on the possibilities.

And I will be 100% honest, I recently moved from a 6-piece to a 7-piece, and it is definitely very easy to get distracted when you have all of those options, but if you stay focused and play what sounds right in your head, there is no reason a smaller kit should be considered inherently better.
I never said anything about what was better....I simply stated a fact
Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM

I used to play one up, two down, and I had a china and a crash on my left, then ride and two more crashes on my right.

These days, it's all about simplicity. I'm much more comfortable with two toms and only two crashes.

I use big, versatile cymbals, and work hard at getting different sounds out of a minimal set.

I learned that having a lot of drums is pretty much useless. It's a gimmic. Terry Bozzio is a good drummer, and he claims it's for "musicality" but his drums are WAY beyond what anyone needs. He does it for attention. Honestly, when someone says Terry Bozzio, what do you think? You don't think of Frank Zappa... You think of that drum set from hell.

When I see Metal drummers with hundreds of toms and thousands of cymbals, often I'd like to get my hands on the bastard that started such a trend. Most of the time they only use some items once in a set, if that.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
The Old Hyde

hhmmm big kit small kit debate. I love/have both so its all a matter of the individual I guess but, If im playing in a classic rock cover band, do I really need 3 chinas, a bell thing and wind chime ( which I DO NOT own)?? Bill Ward, Bonham, even Moon can all be played on a 4 pc. kit.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

I've been from a 4-piece with two cymbals up to a Neil Peart-sized monstrosity and back again. Currently I run a 6-piece (2 up, 2 down) with a bunch of cymbals, but I tend to gig with a 4-piece these days.

And what I can honestly say, is that creativity comes from within, not from without. A boring drummer can put you to sleep on a large kit; a great drummer can get the crowd on its feet playing a tiny kid's kit (looking at you, Benny!).

Learn your craft, learn to be creative, and your setup will evolve around what you do. Just don't put something on your kit for no good reason, is all.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksEasy View Post
I'd like to get my hands on the bastard that started such a trend.
his name is Hal Blaine
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksEasy View Post
Terry Bozzio is a good drummer, and he claims it's for "musicality" but his drums are WAY beyond what anyone needs. He does it for attention.
I use different sizes for rock and jazz, but both are four-piece configurations with hi-hats and two cymbals.

I used to play a five-piece but I got stuck in a rut with some stock fills I found myself relying on. I changed to a four-piece because it forced me to come up with different stuff. I liked it so much that I've stuck with it for a couple years now.

Regarding Bozzio's set, the only comment I'll make here is that he's using his drums for something different than most of us do. He's playing full, melodic compositions on his set. You can't do that with a four-piece set; it takes the full array of chromatic notes he has at his disposal.

So I don't think it's fair to say it's beyond what he needs, it's really the only way he can do it. Even if he doesn't hit a particular drum or cymbal at a given show or clinic, it doesn't mean he shouldn't have it. It's like chastising a piano player for bringing the low A key when he didn't use it during a performance.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
He's playing full, melodic compositions on his set. You can't do that with a four-piece set;
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4UJQbGUH8&t=0m37s

just messin with ya 8
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Okay, I've been

You always get me, Gvd!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreaks View Post
Your kit is a tool. Your creativity and your discipline as a player are determined by you. If you can't choose to not play a big long roll simply because the extra toms are too tempting then you are not a very good player to begin with