DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Mighty_Joker's Avatar
Mighty_Joker Mighty_Joker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nottingham, England
Posts: 877
Default Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

Take a look at this wonderful video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxUoPqnXEU&sns=em

I'm working on the cowbell groove from the 15-30 second mark. Am I right in thinking he's working a baiao/tresillo pattern? I know there's a lot of improvised embellishment in there, but it seems to me to be based off this basic pattern.

The cowbell is basically playing the tresillo, with the snare accenting beat 4 of the backbeat. Am I right?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

The whole video is killer, by the way.
__________________
Bosphorus Cymbals Artist

YouTube channel

Website
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Mighty_Joker's Avatar
Mighty_Joker Mighty_Joker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nottingham, England
Posts: 877
Default Re: Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

No Rodney fans? I thought this video would set things going.

Oh we'll...
__________________
Bosphorus Cymbals Artist

YouTube channel

Website
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

No replies doesn't mean no Rodney fans...

You could capture the sound and slow it down with some prog.
Might make it easier to break down what's going on as the original tempo is crazy high.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,185
Default Re: Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

Discovered this thread by accident actually! I was listening to Rodney's solo
album (check out the track "Was It A Dream" - it's on iTunes - his "famous"
cowbell groove) and searching for Rodney Holmes on DW right now.

Yes, very much a Rodney fan! I love his groove playing, and I was amazed
by his MD festival performance! He played his amazing cowbell groove.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mB6n3u8wAA

A transcription of that cowbell thing was floating around some time ago. I'm
sure I have it somewhere in my practice space.

Your video was awesome, too, never saw that performance.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM
brentcn brentcn is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Joker View Post
Take a look at this wonderful video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxUoPqnXEU&sns=em

I'm working on the cowbell groove from the 15-30 second mark. Am I right in thinking he's working a baiao/tresillo pattern? I know there's a lot of improvised embellishment in there, but it seems to me to be based off this basic pattern.

The cowbell is basically playing the tresillo, with the snare accenting beat 4 of the backbeat. Am I right?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

The whole video is killer, by the way.
Sounds like you're on the right track. It's definitely a Baion (sp?) pattern, with the remaining spaces ghosted with the left hand. When there is a snare/tom accent on beat 2 or 4, then there is that cowbell lick. The snare accent on beat 4 is preceded by a right-hand double on the cowbell on the prior 16th note (the "ah" of beat 3). After the accent on beat 4, the right hand plays the "e" and the "ah", leading into the next baion phrase. The bass drum plays along with the cowbell figure during these "fills".

You could count it: "ONE (e &) AH (two) AND THREE (e &) AH FOUR EE (&) AH"

(Here, the cowbell double stroke occurs on the "ah" of beat 3.)

At 0:25, there's a pretty sweet set of left hand accents on the tom!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

Sounded good to me.

I'm glad you know what to call that pattern because I sure have no clue. You guys must read a lot of books and stuff.

My favorite stuff he did was (of course) with the Steve Kimock and Friends band. There are a few gigs on Archive.org with him in the band, if you can find them.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Mighty_Joker's Avatar
Mighty_Joker Mighty_Joker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nottingham, England
Posts: 877
Default Re: Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. It's definitely a Baion (sp?) pattern, with the remaining spaces ghosted with the left hand. When there is a snare/tom accent on beat 2 or 4, then there is that cowbell lick. The snare accent on beat 4 is preceded by a right-hand double on the cowbell on the prior 16th note (the "ah" of beat 3). After the accent on beat 4, the right hand plays the "e" and the "ah", leading into the next baion phrase. The bass drum plays along with the cowbell figure during these "fills".

You could count it: "ONE (e &) AH (two) AND THREE (e &) AH FOUR EE (&) AH"

(Here, the cowbell double stroke occurs on the "ah" of beat 3.)

At 0:25, there's a pretty sweet set of left hand accents on the tom!

Wonderful! Thanks for this, it confirms what I was thinking.
__________________
Bosphorus Cymbals Artist

YouTube channel

Website
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,185
Default Re: Rodney Holmes' groove analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
My favorite stuff he did was (of course) with the Steve Kimock and Friends band. There are a few gigs on Archive.org with him in the band, if you can find them.
Hey thanks for the heads up!! I checked the site out, awesome stuff from Rodney with Kimock!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com