DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM

Default What else can I do to be a more in demand musician?

I first ditched the guitar and went to Bass because Bass players are more in demand than guitar players. Then I went to Drums because that's a little more in demand than Bass players. Some people here are saying Keyboard players are much more in demand than drummers so that's something I'm thinking about too.

What else can I do to be a more in demand musician? Spend several hundred on huge awesome looking cymbals? Own a P.A. system? Have longer hair? Spend a couple hundred to get my age spots and cherry angioma's removed? Get a van, pickup or trailer so my potential bands stuff can be brought to gigs easier? I know a lot of you will say practice more, I'm already doing that. My problem is I play fine in my room all by myself but the more people who are listening the more I get nervous and therefore the more I suck...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What else can I do to be a more in demand musician?

If you're picking up and dropping instruments then you probably haven't actually spent long enough with any one instrument to practice to the extent where you may be in demand.

Learn to have enough confidence in your playing to stop worrying about your own nervousness.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

Have alcohol or drugs on you at practices and gigs.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Build a working resume. Experience speaks volumes.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Just play for some people, you could start off by creating a simple solo structure so when you do play for people you wont just be playing random crap. Film yourself playing and listen to what you sound like on your own, then get someone to sit in and watch you while you record and compare? Get some family or friends to listen to you play, and just audition for as many bands as you can.
Hope that helps
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

1. Play solid time. Other musicians will be more impressed with that than by a lot of flash.
2. Show up on time (or earlier) for gigs and rehearsals.
3. Dress appropriatly.
4. Don't bad-mouth other drummers/bands/musicians.

That's all I got
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Being in demand, in my mind, is directly proportional to your ability to make a band sound great. If you want to be in demand because you own a PA, or a van....that wouldn't satisfy me, I would think I'm being used. But if in demand is the only criteria, the playing still has to be awesome for the others to demand you. The rest are just bonuses.

I think you need to work on your, "the more people who are listening, the more nervous you get" part of your issue.

Geez if you aren't past that, how do you expect to be in demand in the first place? By owning a PA? Might as well be a sound man, they usually make more anyway.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 AM
saturnrules

Hire Justin Beiber for promo
Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shild View Post
My problem is I play fine in my room all by myself but the more people who are listening the more I get nervous and therefore the more I suck...
if I can be frank....it sounds like you have to put some work into becoming a musician before you can worry about any sort of demand

in my opinion at the point you are at it is best to not worry about being in demand just yet and just hone your craft because you love it
Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 AM

Instead of playing the supply and demand game, play the practice, practice, practice game. And unless you're extraordinarily talented or have a lot of time, stick with one instrument.

And always remember that there is always more to learn.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Try to offer services other musicians can't bring to the table, and if you can't do that, at least make yourself dependable. In reality, you don't have to be the better musician to get the job - if people see you have a professional attitude and think you'll go the distance, then you're a valuable investment for the band. They don't want a talented shredder if he won't show up for practice on time and is always canceling shows.

There are few drummers in my area. The ones that are here want to play too loud, they can't play in time, they don't really understand how to play what compliments the rest of the music. So even though I don't play crazy fills, or do blazing double bass, I get a lot of attention. I thrive on being reliable, and being a good time keeper.

When a band seeks a drummer, they seek foundation. Everything else is just a bonus. Fills, flare, showmanship, ALL of that ALWAYS needs to take a backseat to keeping time and driving a band. No exceptions.

Getting rid of the jitters of playing live is just something that comes with time. The key is remaining calm. Before you perform live, work on a practice pad, soak your hands in some warm water, eat some fruit, listen to music, just do something normal right before you go on stage. By doing this, you can harness the energy that comes from a live gig, and use it to your advantage.

Last edited by SticksEasy; 11-15-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM
The Old Hyde

The last thing you want to do is get a gig because you own the PA or the van or whatever.
Pound the pavement, go to all the live local shows in your area and see whats doing there. I became "in demand" when I played an open mic night a few years ago and was sought by a few bands after that. Got the gig I'm in now., but enough about me....
play whatever instrument you want and just be out there.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

It starts with networking. Putting ads online and posters and stuff yields very limited results. The session world (at least where I am) is 99% word-of-mouth and recommendations.

If you're good, your talent will speak for itself. That, combined with an approachable and friendly demeanor... with a bit of luck and knowing the right people, makes a session drummer in my experience.

Usually, priority-wise:
1) Good attitude, easy to work with
2) Word of mouth, recommended by someone (usually because of #1)
3) Talent, drumming capability

Your attitude and willingness to work with people goes a very long way. Often more so than your actual drumming ability - although being a solid player is absolutely necessary!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

I'd say if you're after being in demand and earning money more than after playing music
because you love it, you're probably not going to be happy.
Being a working musician doesn't work without having the passion for the art and craft, IMO.