DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Drumlines will hold back the drumset player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yeah, it's an acquired taste. ... Just not my cup of tea ;)
It's like metal, free and experimental - it has devoted adherents but most people can only handle it in small doses. Personally, I like it ... in small doses :)

But corps is obviously an advantage - chops are chops. I don't think the challenges would be much greater than e-kit players shifting to acoustics - they have most of it down but they have to refine their feel. Same with going organ to piano. Guitar to mandolin etc
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I don't think the challenges would be much greater than e-kit players shifting to acoustics
Though good point with the 'touch' transition, I don't think this is a fair comparison. At least with e-drums you're still using feet and hand coordinated rhythms and licks, as well as limb independence. You don't get that in corps. You can walk the bass drum and hat easily though.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manningluck View Post
At least with e-drums you're still using feet and hand coordinated rhythms and licks, as well as limb independence.
True. I thought about that but wouldn't corps drummers generally have more chops, discipline, sense of body rhythm from marching, reading and experience playing for crowds than drummers learning at home on e-kits?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

As someone who sucks in so many areas, partly due to a lack of broad drumming education & experiences, I can only imagine experiencing drumline to be a positive thing. I know the premise of this thread focusses on set players who've come from drumlines, but what about the benefits to a set hack of joining a drumline to add another dimension to their playing? I'm thinking that those who come to a drumline with some years of set gigging experience, might benefit hugely. Drumline isn't something that happens here, but if it did, I'd seriously consider jointing (just don't ask me to tune my snare like a Playstation machine gun).

So, to answer the thread title question with my POV, I think a drumline would be most beneficial to those who've payed set, but never experience drumline.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
True. I thought about that but wouldn't corps drummers generally have more chops, discipline, sense of body rhythm from marching, reading and experience playing for crowds than drummers learning at home on e-kits?
When you word it like that then the answer is most definitely yes.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
(just don't ask me to tune my snare like a Playstation machine gun).

So, to answer the thread title question with my POV, I think a drumline would be most beneficial to those who've payed set, but never experience drumline.
That's how it is now days. Things are extremely tight and very flashy. I've been out of it for 4 years and it's still very much the same.

I love that analogy. I committed a lot of time to the sfz and the mts. Retrospect..I f-in hate the sound of those things.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM
keep it simple
This message has been deleted by keep it simple.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manningluck View Post
That's how it is now days. Things are extremely tight and very flashy. I've been out of it for 4 years and it's still very much the same.

I love that analogy. I committed a lot of time to the sfz and the mts. Retrospect..I f-in hate the sound of those things.
I can't comment with any credibility on what's good & what's not good in relation to drumline requirements, because I have zero experience of them. All I can voice is my personal point of view, & I agree, those snare drums sound dreadful. I do know a few marching drum builders. They're good guys, & knowledgeable, but I just don't get their focus. They tell me that the marching guys are constantly seeking definition above almost anything else. Accordingly, these builders (& I suspect they're fairly representative) are using ever stronger construction techniques to allow ever greater head tension. Some of their stuff would tension a suspension bridge! At the same time, they're working on resonant shells, & in many cases, free floating designs. What's the point? I had this very conversation with one builder last week. He wanted us to make a series of thin stave shells for his business. I declined. He conceded that it's pointless, but remarked that these guys are looking for more shell resonance from their drums. I told him that it makes no difference how resonant the shell is. Those heads are so tight that they can't excite the shell, so all you get is head sound. That's why those drums have no ballS, no tone, no voice. I suggested the marching guys might want to think in terms of using smaller & shallow drums if they want high pitch & articulation but keep some drum tone. Apparently, that's a non starter. Unless I'm mistaken, marching drums originally had deep shells precisely to add volume & body to the drum.

Anyway, thank goodness that same thinking hasn't trickled down to set snare drums - yet :(
Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I can't comment with any credibility on what's good & what's not good in relation to drumline requirements, because I have zero experience of them. All I can voice is my personal point of view, & I agree, those snare drums sound dreadful. I do know a few marching drum builders. They're good guys, & knowledgeable, but I just don't get their focus. They tell me that the marching guys are constantly seeking definition above almost anything else. Accordingly, these builders (& I suspect they're fairly representative) are using ever stronger construction techniques to allow ever greater head tension. Some of their stuff would tension a suspension bridge! At the same time, they're working on resonant shells, & in many cases, free floating designs. What's the point? I had this very conversation with one builder last week. He wanted us to make a series of thin stave shells for his business. I declined. He conceded that it's pointless, but remarked that these guys are looking for more shell resonance from their drums. I told him that it makes no difference how resonant the shell is. Those heads are so tight that they can't excite the shell, so all you get is head sound. That's why those drums have no ballS, no tone, no voice. I suggested the marching guys might want to think in terms of using smaller & shallow drums if they want high pitch & articulation but keep some drum tone. Apparently, that's a non starter. Unless I'm mistaken, marching drums originally had deep shells precisely to add volume & body to the drum.

Anyway, thank goodness that same thinking hasn't trickled down to set snare drums - yet :(
you have to remember that these guys are 90% of the time playing outdoors a long distance from an audience without being miked and are competing with a full on brass and wind section

the snap created by the high tension kevlar heads is the only way to cut through all of that

and it cuts beautifully

the rebound created by the heads and amount of tension is quite different and takes a bit to gain control of with some full strokes because the surface basically launches the stick ....on the other hand buzz rolls become somewhat effortless
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM
saturnrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
you have to remember that these guys are 90% of the time playing outdoors a long distance from an audience without being miked and are competing with a full on brass and wind section

the snap created by the high tension kevlar heads is the only way to cut through all of that

and it cuts beautifully

the rebound created by the heads and amount of tension is quite different and takes a bit to gain control of with some full strokes because the surface basically launches the stick ....on the other hand buzz rolls become somewhat effortless
that doesn't replace the fact they still sound like crap

Last edited by bermuda; 11-14-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnrules View Post
that doesn't replace the fact they still sound like shit
I think they sound great

do you expect them to sound like a black beauty or something ?

they are corps. drums and are built to have a distinct sound
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
saturnrules

Quote:
I think they sound great
Good for you. I don't like the sound. It's annoying.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I think they sound great

do you expect them to sound like a black beauty or something ?

they are corps. drums and are built to have a distinct sound
Quote:
..like anything else.........everyone has their personal opinion......it's apples to oranges

I started drumming in school and the progressed to a "drumline".....spent four years playing and loved it.

To me, it has helped my kit playing, but you have to "think" differently..........I guess the easiest way to put it is.........playing Rush vs. Bad Company or Jazz vs. Rock and Roll.........I love both bands and types of music, but I have to "think" differently when I play their songs.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
so don't listen to it

no need to get your little panties in a bunch
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
..like anything else.........everyone has their personal opinion......it's apples to oranges

I started drumming in school and the progressed to a "drumline".....spent four years playing and loved it.

To me, it has helped my kit playing, but you have to "think" differently..........I guess the easiest way to put it is.........playing Rush vs. Bad Company or Jazz vs. Rock and Roll.........I love both bands and types of music, but I have to "think" differently when I play their songs.
completely

anyone who sits down to play a kit and approaches it like a corps. snare may need to be on medication

I think we need to give people a little credit

every student I have who plays in a drum line completely understands that they need to approach each situation completely differently .....and it's not like I had to tell them that

it's pretty obvious.....like painfully obvious

....and like I said earlier in the thread .....I saw significant improvements in each one of them as far as reading, control, consistency, technique, listening and attention to detail
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
so don't listen to it

Along with the 'my friend will kick your ass', skipping customs at the border and the posts in this thread, I think we have us all a new favourite member.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 PM
saturnrules

Quote:
so don't listen to it

I don't listen to it because it's annoying. What's so wrong with that? Seems like you're the one with the panty problem. I don't agree with you, get over it. Moving on.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM
saturnrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Along with the 'my friend will kick your ass', skipping customs at the border and the posts in this thread, I think we have us all a new favourite member.
Looks like someone doesn't have a life to go around and post their jokes from other threads. Minus the customs. That was the truth. I bought a kit in Canada while doing a small tour. Put the drums in my old cases. Didn't report them. Sue me. Not like I am dealing drugs. That'd pay better though I'm sure.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Strange... I had the same thought... Coincidence?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
I don't listen to it because it's annoying. What's so wrong with that? Seems like you're the one with the panty problem. I don't agree with you, get over it. Moving on.
what a complete and utter child

your posts are very amusing

any wagers on how long this cat will last around here?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
saturnrules

Quote:
what a complete and utter child

your posts are very amusing

Seriously what is your issue? You told me to not listen to it and I said that I didn't because I find the sound to be annoying, what exactly is so wrong about that? I don't agree with you. I'm sorry it is hurting your ego, but I am just being honest. Can we drop this already?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Seriously what is your issue? You told me to not listen to it and I said that I didn't because I find the sound to be annoying, what exactly is so wrong about that? I don't agree with you. I'm sorry it is hurting your ego, but I am just being honest. Can we drop this already?
ok thanks

bye
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
I offer same day service.

Saturn, if I see ANY more attitude or feather ruffling, yer out.

Bermuda
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looks like someone doesn't have a life to go around and post their jokes from other threads. Minus the customs. That was the truth. I bought a kit in Canada while doing a small tour. Put the drums in my old cases. Didn't report them. Sue me. Not like I am dealing drugs. That'd pay better though I'm sure.
Cool story bro.

I think Bermuda has said everything that needs to be said.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
The Old Hyde

Bermuda, I dont have a Post New Thread button visable? can I get one, sorry to hi-jack.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Manningluck
This message has been deleted by Manningluck. Reason: pointless
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 AM

Of course my thread gets crapped on by a mapex loving nutjob.
Closed Thread