DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 PM

Default I've got a problem, need advice.

My grammar and such are not very good, so dont take everything by its word.

Hi, I have been drumming for about 6-7 years, at the age of 18 now.
I picked up the double bass after the first year and a half, by other words I have been using double bass for 5 years atleast.

After I learned how to use it which took about a year, things went really smooth and good, i was almost able to 280-300bmp (im not exactly sure) with the doubles.
Now something just happened, my left foot has gone from good to shit, I cant control it anymore, like when you try the double bass for the first time, it spasms and doesnt act as I want it to. Except sometimes, where I can go about 200bmp(?) Idk what bmp it is, but its like the main beat from laid to rest by lamb of god.
When i put my left leg over my right it hurts alot, and it feels like my bone would snap aswell, may have something to do with this?

I have tried to: Exercise, I have gone bicking everyday and still do.
Stretch before playing, does make it a lil better but still doesnt solve my problem.
Trained, I was slacking for a month or 3 with the drums, but I have constantly played aprox 30-40 minutes a day for serval months now.

After this, I just dont know what to do, has anybody ever experienced this aswell? Please help me!
/Jillis
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I've got a problem, need advice.

Unusual Pain?...be sure to consult a doctor(hopefully a sports doctor)

Everyone experiences variation in ability...sometimes subtle...sometimes drastic.

As our skill progresses we start to think about what we are doing in a different way...that shift in perception changes our movements...and after a few cycles brings about wider functionality.

Can't say for sure what you are experiencing...but be sure to attend to the health aspects of the pain.

Once that is laid to rest, continue practice per instruction and you will progress...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM

One time my band was recording and all of sudden I couldn't do all my usual bass drum stuff. I was getting frustrated, which just made it worse.
I couldn't figure it out, then someone told me to change my bass drum head! Is your head fresh? Bam- I was back to normal.
But if you have pain it might be a repetitive motion injury. I'd experiment with different seat height and pedal positions.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Unusual Pain?...be sure to consult a doctor(hopefully a sports doctor)

Everyone experiences variation in ability...sometimes subtle...sometimes drastic.

As our skill progresses we start to think about what we are doing in a different way...that shift in perception changes our movements...and after a few cycles brings about wider functionality.

Can't say for sure what you are experiencing...but be sure to attend to the health aspects of the pain.

Once that is laid to rest, continue practice per instruction and you will progress...

I have thought a little about the perception but it just doesnt fit the glove, I am clueless so I might check out a sports doctor soon.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Mercury Drummer View Post
One time my band was recording and all of sudden I couldn't do all my usual bass drum stuff. I was getting frustrated, which just made it worse.
I couldn't figure it out, then someone told me to change my bass drum head! Is your head fresh? Bam- I was back to normal.
But if you have pain it might be a repetitive motion injury. I'd experiment with different seat height and pedal positions.
I experience this "all of a sudden I couldn't do it" almost every time I drum, my frustration is beyond measure
To be honest, its the same stuff that I got 5 years ago, it works fine tho, I have tried other double pedals and some of them are better and making it easier, but I just dont have any cash for new.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

..........Maybe it's a tooma.