DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Zero Mercury Drummer's Avatar
Zero Mercury Drummer Zero Mercury Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 310
Default What 10 jazz songs should every jazz drummer know?

When I am done playing rock and roll, I plan on spending my twilight drumming years playing jazz. I live in DC, a great jazz town, so this could work. I've been playing drums for decades, but never received standard music class training. So I never got that basic rundown of jazz standards etc.
I'd like to draw on forum wisdown and ask what 10 songs should every jazz drummer know? The kind of song where if you go to an audition, jazz players would be likely to break out?
I mess around with a lot of fusion stuff, but never played much trad jazz. Can anybody throw out a few that should be standard knowledge for a jazz drummer?
__________________
My jam:
https://fandalism.com/jfordney
Fandalism
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
topgun2021's Avatar
topgun2021 topgun2021 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , Minneapolis Area, Minnesota
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: What 10 jazz songs should every jazz drummer know?

You should know more than 10 standards.....

Caravan
Sister Sadie
When the Saints go Marching In
Mambo Inn
In the Mood
Sing Sing Sing
So What
Solar
Bernie's Tune
A Night in Tunisia
Cold Duck Time
Take 5
All Blue
Autumn Leaves
Moose the Mooche
My Favorite Things
Sack of Woe
Satin Doll
Round Midnight
I Should Care
Orange Colored Sky
Moanin
Such Sweet Thunder
Mack The Knife
etc
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Zero Mercury Drummer's Avatar
Zero Mercury Drummer Zero Mercury Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 310
Default Re: What 10 jazz songs should every jazz drummer know?

Excellent. I notice a few of these are on Chick Corea's Acoustik Band sessions.
__________________
My jam:
https://fandalism.com/jfordney
Fandalism
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
topgun2021's Avatar
topgun2021 topgun2021 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , Minneapolis Area, Minnesota
Posts: 1,218
Default Re: What 10 jazz songs should every jazz drummer know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Mercury Drummer View Post
Excellent. I notice a few of these are on Chick Corea's Acoustik Band sessions.
Probably because those are Jazz Standards.

You should obviously listen to original recordings, along with all the covers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What 10 jazz songs should every jazz drummer know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Mercury Drummer View Post
When I am done playing rock and roll, I plan on spending my twilight drumming years playing jazz. I live in DC, a great jazz town, so this could work. I've been playing drums for decades, but never received standard music class training. So I never got that basic rundown of jazz standards etc.
I'd like to draw on forum wisdown and ask what 10 songs should every jazz drummer know? The kind of song where if you go to an audition, jazz players would be likely to break out?
I mess around with a lot of fusion stuff, but never played much trad jazz. Can anybody throw out a few that should be standard knowledge for a jazz drummer?

get yourself a Real Book
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books...s?src=3WWRWXGP

this got me through many gigs......very valuable

it's all about knowing the melody and the form

the more melodies you know the more impact you will have as a jazz musician

if you plan on studying jazz I recommend getting the following books and locking yourself in a room for a few years

The Drummers complete vocabulary as taught by Allen Dawson - by John Ramsay

the art of bop drumming
beyond bop drumming
& the jazz drummers workshop - all by John Riley

the evolution of jazz drumming - by Danny Gotlieb

and a copy of Syncopation ....which you will get tons of milage out of in jazz studies

right there alone is just about a lifetime worth of work toward becoming a jazz player

John Rileys DVD - The Master Drummer, is also fantastic

I also recommend listening to as much jazz as you possibly can

I would gladly recommend some of my favorite records if you are interested

I have been a rock, funk, hip hop drummer all of my life and have been on this jazz journey for a few years now .......pretty much exclusively playing jazz....I am completely in love with it

so coming from someone who is on this journey .......I would be glad to be of as much assistance to you that I could possibly be

you are going to fall in love with playing jazz music ...I promise you that

...also keep in mind that this is a completely different language and it will take time to adapt

something like someone who only speaks english learning to speak spanish

Last edited by Anthony Amodeo; 11-14-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Zero Mercury Drummer's Avatar
Zero Mercury Drummer Zero Mercury Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 310
Default Re: What 10 jazz songs should every jazz drummer know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
get yourself a Real Book
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books...s?src=3WWRWXGP

this got me through many gigs......very valuable

it's all about knowing the melody and the form

the more melodies you know the more impact you will have as a jazz musician

if you plan on studying jazz I recommend getting the following books and locking yourself in a room for a few years

The Drummers complete vocabulary as taught by Allen Dawson - by John Ramsay

the art of bop drumming
beyond bop drumming
& the jazz drummers workshop - all by John Riley

the evolution of jazz drumming - by Danny Gotlieb

and a copy of Syncopation ....which you will get tons of milage out of in jazz studies

right there alone is just about a lifetime worth of work toward becoming a jazz player

John Rileys DVD - The Master Drummer, is also fantastic

I also recommend listening to as much jazz as you possibly can

I would gladly recommend some of my favorite records if you are interested

I have been a rock, funk, hip hop drummer all of my life and have been on this jazz journey for a few years now .......pretty much exclusively playing jazz....I am completely in love with it

so coming from someone who is on this journey .......I would be glad to be of as much assistance to you that I could possibly be

you are going to fall in love with playing jazz music ...I promise you that

...also keep in mind that this is a completely different language and it will take time to adapt

something like someone who only speaks english learning to speak spanish
Thanks a lot, keep the suggestions coming guys!
I have messed around with jazz, but never undertook the serious study of the jazz style. I love improvising and have jammed for years on lots of fusion stuff (Stratus by Cobham, some Bruford etc.). But I have never gotten comfortable with the soloing etc. and the "language" of jazz drumming. But as far as the basic vibe of listening and improvising and soloing- I am getting there.
It always amazes me when i see a young kid just playing jazz like a seasoned veteran. it really is a form of music that requires much knowledge and "wisdom" to play well.
__________________
My jam:
https://fandalism.com/jfordney
Fandalism

Last edited by Zero Mercury Drummer; 11-14-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com