A beginner's question..help please!

Choose a song you really like, and work on figuring out what the drums are doing, and then work on playing it. That's how I started out.

Try playing along to something like Crazy by Gnarles Barkley; it's in common time, the tempo is in the moderato range (i.e. not too slow, not too fast) and it's quite short. Plus the drum part doesn't really change so you can just practice a solid 1/8th note groove for 3 minutes and concentrate on making that sound tight and musical.
I'm sure there are other similar tunes - one that springs to mind would be Billy Jean by Michael Jackson. That's a little slower but has a very strong groove and even if you just play a completely straight groove for the whole song it will sound fine.

I think this is the best thing to do for a total beginner. Pick tunes that are moderately paced in common time and just practice a basic 1/8th note groove. Doesn't matter if you can't do any fills, just keep good time and the rest will come. It's also useful if the song has occasional breaks where the drums don't play so you can practice stopping and coming back in on the beat etc. Something like Black Magic Woman by Fleetwood Mac does that a lot as I recall, but I'm sure others would have better suggestions.

Good luck and have fun.

Completely agree to Bad Tempered, but I'd also add that you should enjoy the song you're playing too, find a song you like to listen to, the song you find yourself tapping along too and try and play that. Jamiroquai is a good funky artist for drumming I think.

I began by trying to play with songs I liked. There was one song I remember that was easy
to play until a "short drum break" a couple measures long...I loved playing that over and over
always excited about coming to that break part. It took years until I could play those two measures! So, maybe you will find a song you can mostly play, but not all of it. The hard
parts will keep you trying.

How about begin with a slow song you like and a faster song too?

Have Fun!

Back