My drum buying survey. A moment of your time please (no links)

Andy

Honorary Member
I'm making a personally very important decision this week, & I need your help. I need to know the things you consider to be important when making the decision to buy a new set of drums (excluding hardware & cymbals please). I know this is over simplistic, but it helps my evaluation if I keep it very limited. Please place the following in order of importance to you. To save time, please just answer a / c / f / d, etc. I really need the honest truth, not what you think you should put down. If you think appearance is more important to you than sound, there's no shame here in that.

a/ Quality of construction

b/ Price

c/ Quality of sound

d/ Size choice

e/ Appearance

f/ Brand

g/ Reputation (other than your own experience)

Thanks in advance guys, Andy.

confouded
andy!
drums
every
body
finds
great!

(answer hidden lol)

I'm making a personally very important decision this week, & I need your help. I need to know the things you consider to be important when making the decision to buy a new set of drums (excluding hardware & cymbals please). I know this is over simplistic, but it helps my evaluation if I keep it very limited. Please place the following in order of importance to you. To save time, please just answer a / c / f / d, etc. I really need the honest truth, not what you think you should put down. If you think appearance is more important to you than sound, there's no shame here in that.

b/ Price

c/ Quality of sound

d/ Size choice

e/ Appearance

f/ Brand

c
b
a
e
f
d
g

Primary items, all equal in priority:
d (size choice)
no letter supplied, but I'll add: low weight
c (quality of sound)
a (quality of construction)
e (appearance)

Secondary items, from most important to least important:
b (price)
f (brand)
g (reputation)

Edited to add: My primary factors above all else are sizes and low weight. A kit might be great sounding, but if doesn't have the sizes I want (for positioning, note choice, and texture) or is too big/heavy for easy movement and setup, I'm not interested. Therefore, I want the right sizes and the least weight feasible, along with great sound, high quality construction, and great looks.

Last edited:

b/ Price

c/ Quality of sound

d/ Size choice

e/ Appearance

f/ Brand

C
A
B
E
D
G
F

C
A
G
D
F
E

however im not sure how valid those results will be since i dont see myself looking beyond DW anytime soon and since they have a great reputation sound quality etc its hard to rank

Primary items, all equal in priority:
d (size choice)
no letter supplied, but I'll add: low weight
c (quality of sound)
a (quality of construction)
e (appearance)

Secondary items, from most important to least important:
b (price)
f (brand)
g (reputation)

Edited to add: My primary factors above all else are sizes and low weight. A kit might be great sounding, but if doesn't have the sizes I want (for positioning, note choice, and texture) or is too big/heavy for easy movement and setup, I'm not interested. Therefore, I want the right sizes and the least weight feasible, along with great sound, high quality construction, and great looks.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

c/ Quality of sound - Tama B/B

a/ Quality of construction - Tama B/B

e/ Appearance - Tama B/B

b/ Price - Tama B/B

d/ Size choice - Tama B/B

f/ Brand - Tama B/B

g/ Reputation (other than your own experience) - How can Tama be a wrong choice?

I'm shameless rofl

For me:

c/ Quality of sound
d/ Size choice
b/ Price
e/ Appearance
f/ Brand

Davo

B, A, C, E, D, F, G..........

For most of us in life we have to check the price first. We only have so much money.

c/ Quality of sound
f/ Brand
b/ Price
e/ Appearance
d/ Size choice

Price is normally a top criteria. The assumption here is that I have already allocated a sizeable amount for a top quality set.

Hi Andy

my advice:
buy a qualtiy drum - doesn't matter much which brand - and focus on practice and technique of hands and feet and coordination.

For price we can't give advice, because this depends on your budget. Or in other words: this is definitively a)

then b c d... comes automatically

Bernhard

Its great to see that alot of members are able to list their priorities from this list but I really cant.

Everything on the list is pretty much equally important to me and none more than others.

I'll right the list (in no particular order for me) just for referance and give you an idea of what I mean.

a/ Quality of construction (absolutely has to be well constructed)

b/ Price (I have to be able to afford it of course)

c/ Quality of sound (It must sound good without exception)

d/ Size choice (I gotta have my "Fusion" sizes)

e/ Appearance (definately has to look great)

f/ Brand (I like a few brands but some wont do)

g/ Reputation (I bought my kit "sight unseen" and never played them before so I did alot of research on the net reading tons of reviews. By the time I got my kit shipped to me it was exactly as expected, so yeah, "reputation" is hugely important also).

It was definately fun reflecting on how important all these factors were though. :)

I like TDMs breakdown of primary and secondary priorities, even though I'm less concerned about weight since having a recently played a bubinga Tama and a Pearl Reference (both ridiculously heavy but sounded really really great)

d/ Size choice (not everyone offers a 13x9 or 15x14 toms or 14" depth bass drums. I wished more than once that Yamaha could come up with a 15" floor tom, but they didn't and I don't have one of their kits)

a/ Quality of construction (This one's pretty important and shouldn't be an issue, but I'm still leery about Ludwig after a botched tom on a kit I received, and hearing Zambizzi's experiences)

c/ Quality of sound (Gotta like the way it sounds)

b/ Price (I have to be able to afford it)

e/ Appearance (Sorry Sonor finishes! Sorry DW turret lugs!)

f/ Brand (There might be one or two I wouldn't play, but I can't think of who they might be at the moment. Ddrum?)

g/ Reputation (Homeularis has a good point on this one. The research portion of decision making is almost all reputation based: you make great stuff, your reputation will reflect that)

Back