Seeing bad bands

Telling jokes is fine if the person doing it is funny but not in your face, say a little quip about a bandmember. Just shows people are having fun.

Terrible bands don't bother me as much as terrible bands who are willing to play for free, undercutting the music scene in town. I don't have to listen to bad bands, but I do have to try and make money.

Just for balance, the next night I did see a really good band. They are around. I don't get out to see other bands that much as I'm either gigging, practicing, or enjoying a night off. Bad bands have good points to discuss here, for learning purposes. I guess they do serve a need in that respect lol. The good band I saw did none of the things mentioned in this thread, they were very pro. My wife is friends with the bass player/leader so I've seen them before. There are a couple of bands with a good rep near me that I haven't seen yet. They are on my radar. I will be the first to say if they are good. I really do enjoy seeing a great band.

I am more influenced by people I actually see than music I hear. You can glean so much from a live performance. Even if they are bad, I learn what NOT to do, which is almost as beneficial as to what TO do.

Can't wait until next weekend. I get to play the Phoenixville (PA) Blues Festival with 2 different acts, plus I get to see a bunch of other bands. And get paid twice lol.

I love terrible bands, they make the rest of us look better :)

Exactly.

There are some strong opinions floating around this thread. I think the punters are far more forgiving than we musos are. Thank goodness. But there is a reason why many bands don't get anywhere. I've sshared the stage with many, many bands, and most of them pretty much sucked no matter what they were wearing or drinking.

Back