Billy Ward here!

Re: I'm here! - Billy Ward

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement!!!

Alakabone:
Alakabone said:
why arent you coming to canada?

I did a clinic in Toronto at Just drums and it was very successful and fun. Don't know why i don't get back up there more often... Maybe because you have so many great drummers that already live IN Canada!!! Or maybe it's that long - ago event where I dropped out of the Mounties??? :D

Looking forward to seeing you in Orlando tonight.

Billy:

good luck in Orlando tonight. I would be there but my 17 month old son has a virus (fever/not sleeping/fussy as hell) and I just can't justify to my wife driving in from Tampa. I find your playing and your writing inspirational in their honesty and I am dissapointed to not be there. I am sure, however, you understand those familial priorities!

I am sure you will have a great clinic - Drums2Go is a classy outfit and the staff are amazing. Please say hi to Michelle and to Billy Ashbaugh if he is there from me!

Paul

is that july 12 thing for real?! two clinics in two days at donn bennetts place? that is SICK.

I only heard about the one on the thirteenth though. the masterclass is nowhere to be found on the donn bennett site.

WWTBD; Now that's classic, Can't wait to meet you!

Had a great time at the Orlando clinic tonite. My right leg is tired trying to keep up with some of them beats.

Keep up the great work!
Sorry about the crappy CIA camera. LOL

Attachments

• mike&billy.jpg
    mike&billy.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 720
  • billy1.jpg
    billy1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 711

mek55 said:
Had a great time at the Orlando clinic tonite. My right leg is tired trying to keep up with some of them beats.

Keep up the great work!
Sorry about the crappy CIA camera. LOL

HAHAHA!!!
It was great to meet you! Thanks for coming!

(please don't tap my phone!)

I cant believe youre gonna be in Denver tomorrow and I CANT GO! Ahhhhhh! Im so super bummed! My mom is in Ohio for a funeral and I have no one to drive me! :-(

Welcome to the forum ,man! It feels great to be able to talk to a pro!

thanks d-chick435 - and mec - thanks for sharing those pics! We look like a couple - a bums! :D

Denver's clinic was a total BLAST!

Now I'm in Seattle. the hit is tomoorow night!

Thanks for your great DVD and your intelligent insight into drumming. From "Turning your kit into your ally" to just "Tuning" and using a dang shaker on your hi hats, You have changed the way I see drums, drumming, and music in general.

Some Clinic pictures here:

http://jmdi.smugmug.com/gallery/1612234

and here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Billy_Ward.html

billyward9.jpg

Bernhard

billy ward said:
thanks d-chick435 - and mec - thanks for sharing those pics! We look like a couple - a bums! :D

Denver's clinic was a total BLAST!

Now I'm in Seattle. the hit is tomoorow night!

You're welcome! Why don't you come to the South (Alabama, Mississippii, Tennessee, or Georgia)? I can't afford to go up North. I'm an intermidiate and I would love to learn more about drums. My parents won't let me get drum lessons.

drummerchick435 said:
You're welcome! Why don't you come to the South (Alabama, Mississippii, Tennessee, or Georgia)? I can't afford to go up North. I'm an intermidiate and I would love to learn more about drums. My parents won't let me get drum lessons.

Tell your parents that music teaches ABSTRACT THOUGHT better than anything else in the world. With today's uncertain future, being able to adapt to new surroundings is essential. This is why, when computers first came out, they were hiring musicians to become computer programmers. We can jump all over abstract concepts - becasue that's what we do!

(maybe they will buy that nd get you a teacher!) :D
-good luck!
Bw

billy ward said:
Tell your parents that music teaches ABSTRACT THOUGHT better than anything else in the world. With today's uncertain future, being able to adapt to new surroundings is essential. This is why, when computers first came out, they were hiring musicians to become computer programmers. We can jump all over abstract concepts - becasue that's what we do!

(maybe they will buy that nd get you a teacher!) :D
-good luck!
Bw

I don't think I was very descriptive as to why my parents won't let me get lessons. My dad sometimes gets a lot of money and sometimes we get just enough to get by on. He's a self employed lawyer. This is one of his not so good years but things are looking up. My siblings have had music lessons and my parents both play guitar so they are in no way opposed to music. But thanks anyway...you learn something new everyday!

drum lessons are great but there is so much information out there. having a drum teacher is probley the best thing. having someone with years and years of expericance help you is always a plus but,You can be a great drummer without lessons. john bonham and buddy rich were self taught. You can practice your rudiments, do coordination and speed exercises, go all over the internet and get information how to read and write, differnt beats, differnt styles. I did drumline for several years i can send you some things if you like. i think one of the things that probley help my progress is listeing to a loooooot of drummers and listening to a wide range of music. i study drummers such as danny carey, mike portnoy,thomas lang, and Billy ward :). When i study difernt drummers i really concentrate. i begin to notice fills they like to do, how they phrase there music, how they switch up beats, how they play in certain situations. when you have all your inflences figured out, then you can interpet your thoughts and ideas through the drumming. i take danny careys power and complexity, mike portnoys use of stack cymbals and sweet dbl kick fills, thomas langs intense coordination and speed, and billy wards ideas and ways of playing that i got from his dvd( not saying you dont have the above). yeah i knnow this is a long post but im stuck watching my sister for a couple hours, so theres my 2 cents

just message me and ill be glad to send you some exercises

thanks Z 232!

But the clinic in Jersey city is cancelled.
I have spent the day flying from Seattle to Harrisburg PA. My mom just went into the hospital this morning. My dad is semi-on his own (with alzheimers) so I've gotta get to Cincinnati to try to take care of some things.
It looks serious -
I plan on making the clinic up at a future date and trying to do something extra special for the good folks at Jersey Drums and Percussion.

The Harrisburg clinic is gonna happen as scheduled tomorrow at 1pm.

Now I've gotta book my travel to cincy - will check back in as soon as possible
thanks
Billy

Zildjian232 said:
drum lessons are great but there is so much information out there. having a drum teacher is probley the best thing. having someone with years and years of expericance help you is always a plus but,You can be a great drummer without lessons. john bonham and buddy rich were self taught. You can practice your rudiments, do coordination and speed exercises, go all over the internet and get information how to read and write, differnt beats, differnt styles. I did drumline for several years i can send you some things if you like. i think one of the things that probley help my progress is listeing to a loooooot of drummers and listening to a wide range of music. i study drummers such as danny carey, mike portnoy,thomas lang, and Billy ward :). When i study difernt drummers i really concentrate. i begin to notice fills they like to do, how they phrase there music, how they switch up beats, how they play in certain situations. when you have all your inflences figured out, then you can interpet your thoughts and ideas through the drumming. i take danny careys power and complexity, mike portnoys use of stack cymbals and sweet dbl kick fills, thomas langs intense coordination and speed, and billy wards ideas and ways of playing that i got from his dvd( not saying you dont have the above). yeah i knnow this is a long post but im stuck watching my sister for a couple hours, so theres my 2 cents

just message me and ill be glad to send you some exercises

Thanks! But this is going to be my last post/message because my mom found out that I was posting. She got crazy thinking her daughter's going to be raped or something like that. She said she'll take away the internet if I post again. Nice talking to all you DW folks!

Hey Drummerchick, Tell mom we're not as bad as we look. This is a free space for all things DRUMS.

Billy, I hope things work out with your family.

On a side note, a bass player I play with from Cincy wants to know if you know Gene Utz, He used to kick some jams with him some time ago.

Hope all goes well with you.

Back