Keith Carlock

keith's playing all tracks on steely dan's last album 'everything must go'. if i'm not mistaken, i think he's the first drummer to play all tracks on a dan album. he also did some tracks on '2 against nature'.

i saw keith with sting earlier this year and he was mindblowing.
he's also on some of wayne krantz's records and they're really worth checking out.... 'greenwich mean time' is pretty awesome.

Brian Keith Carlock

Hi this is my first post on the forum. I just got back from vacation to Israel and NYC. While i was in NYC, i went to the 55 Bar to see Wayne Krantz play. That night it was Wayne Krantz, Keith Carlock, and Anthony Jackson. It was by far the best set ive heard them play yet. I got to talk with Keith for a while and i learned that he and i share the same first name, Brian. So his real name is Brian Carlock. I was very surprised to learn that he plays the same bass pedal as i, a dw 9000. Anyway, it was the best set ive heard from Wayne yet so if any of you are fans, i would reccomend buying the June 30th set as it is only $5. Here are some pictures
vacation05211.jpg

Attachments

• vacation.jpg
    vacation.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,452
Last edited by a moderator:
swamp-master, yes indeed. have a listen to his live recordings with wayne krantz. positively killing his k con medium. also, dig that open-tuned 20" kick. i've got to make it over to the 55 bar and catch those guys sometime.

crust & crumb said:
swamp-master, yes indeed. have a listen to his live recordings with wayne krantz. positively killing his k con medium. also, dig that open-tuned 20" kick. i've got to make it over to the 55 bar and catch those guys sometime.

I've listen to them - they are great. Keith's tecnique i amazing. It seems that he is left-handed - all those ghost notes on the snare drum. There are some really good shots of him playing at his website www.keithcarlock.com. His style reminds much of Bonham - they are both very powerful and have very open resonant drum sound. You should also check out Ari Hoenig - he is even more mind blowing.

Funky Ass said:
I've listen to them - they are great. Keith's tecnique i amazing. It seems that he is left-handed - all those ghost notes on the snare drum. There are some really good shots of him playing at his website www.keithcarlock.com. His style reminds much of Bonham - they are both very powerful and have very open resonant drum sound. You should also check out Ari Hoenig - he is even more mind blowing.

Ahhh...Ari. You sir, have excellent taste.

Carlock is a groove MOSTER. He can lay down such a heavy groove and he's got plenty of chops. He's on his way to building an even more impressive resume' than he already has.

All I have to say is

he has become my favorite drummer ever! I hope to get a good discussion going here talking about his groove and feel and compositions because I think its all amazing

I find his playing to be intoxicating...I had the opportunity to hear him play last week and I found him to be totally "mind blowing." I've watched a lot of drummers, but Keith plays with such passion. I wish him the best! Susan

I saw him at a clinic this past week. What a fine, fine player. His clinic chops have also come a long way since his North Texas days. He seems much more relaxed with the drummer crowd.

Re: Keith Carlock v. Steve Gadd

Hey, Keith isn't trying to replace anyone, in fact, Gadd is one of his favorites too...of course, I like Keltner and Gordon. Keith has a style of his own...like all the greats before him. Katy Lied is my favorite..;) Isn't that Jeff P.?

Back