Gospel music Recommendations

matthew

So I've seen a bit of the gospelchops.com clips and I like it so what's some band that play that sort of music that I can try these ideas to?

I could apply these ideas to many types of music but I love rnb, blues, jazz, and some gospel anyway, but I don't know much except mahalia jackson and the older stuff...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Mainstream: John P. Kee, (mulitple recordings "Strength", "Not Guilty", Marvin Sapp, (Both featuring Calvin Rodgers, for the most part)
Kim Burrell, Kirk Franklin.

Good start

Sorry, I know it's not really Gospel, but I've always loved the song "End of my Journey" from the movie "Cadence". His voice is just flowing with emotion and passion, gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Just a beautiful song....

I've never really took time to give a close ear to modern gospel, but i'll recommend to check the gospel artists that Derico Watson did drum for. I've heard a bit of Shakinah Glory Ministry which seems to have some intersting gospel drumming, but it sounds very much like going into a mass church on sunday.........

In my opinion, the best gospel remains the original. If you really like Mahalia, new stuff might disappoint you on a musical level (it does for me).

I love modern and the more traditional stuff.. start out by picking up a compilation CD.

There is soo much great stuff out there! The Crabb family, Kurt Karr, ...I could go on...

My favorite "gospel drummer" plays with an artist called J Moss. Check out the videos on Youtube. The drummer is Brent Easton from South Bend Indiana. He is truly a monster player and a wonderful guy!

Paul

Back