Just curious -----------

I saw it and thought it looked like a great competition.

Also thought you would get a lot of applicants.

I didn't enter because I'm pretty crap at drumming. Simple as that.

If you posted is as a kind of daytime TV, Dickinson's Real Deals, style question, I would have :)
Wrong on every count. You can play just fine, at least as well if not better than many applicants. no excuses, use your imagination & creativity, not your chops.

The reason I havent entered (yet) is because I believed I had until June 5th to get it in (unless I read the thread wrong).

I am trying to think of a concept and different ways of getting sound out of one drum before posting what I believe to be my best effort. I'd hate to post something then realise I couldve done far better.

This will be the only chance I imagaine I'll have to even try and get a Guru drum, so there is no way I am not entering this if I have more time :)
Glad to hear it, but you read incorrectly. Closing date for entries is June 1st. Draw is June 8th :)

Dammit, Andy, I think I might submit an entry now.

Sorry Andy. I've not been much in touch with DW of late. Since I'm already digging my Guru snare I'd rather someone who doesn't have one wins it (if I won haha).

If I didn't already have a thinly-veiled snare I'm not sure what I would enter. Nothing is new under the sun - people have done pretty everything to snare drums that can be done. Some of the treated snare things that Glenn Kotche and Chris Cutler do are way out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwekSyWxcgg

The reason I havent entered (yet) is because I believed I had until June 5th to get it in (unless I read the thread wrong).

Same here...................Taking the time to put one together, but was shooting to have a submission by the end of the month.

Ok, message received. I've changed the rules so your entries can remain anonymous unless you win. Hopefully this will give those who are nervous about putting their stuff out there the confidence to enter, in the knowledge that only if they win, will their video be shown. Of course, if you elect for your video to be shown, that's cool, we'll publish it.

This means the requirement to post on the Guru Facebook page has been removed, & the only ones who will see your submission is me & the judging panel.

New rules can be read here: http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

Good idea Andy

NOTE: If you post your video on YouTube you can choose "Public", "Unlisted" or "Private". If you select "Unlisted" no one can see the video unless they know the address.
Then you can still send the video address to Guru.
If and when you decide to let everyone see the video just change the status to "Public".

Dammit, Andy, I think I might submit an entry now.
Epic!!!!

Some of the treated snare things that Glenn Kotche and Chris Cutler do are way out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwekSyWxcgg
We don't need to go quite to that extent. it is cool though :)

Been missing you lately Grea :(

Same here...................Taking the time to put one together, but was shooting to have a submission by the end of the month.
More epicness!!

Good idea Andy

NOTE: If you post your video on YouTube you can choose "Public", "Unlisted" or "Private". If you select "Unlisted" no one can see the video unless they know the address.
Then you can still send the video address to Guru.
If and when you decide to let everyone see the video just change the status to "Public".

A very good point Jim, thanks for highlighting that.

Yes guys, if you want to put your entry in without allowing access to anyone else, list it on Youtube under "unlisted", but make sure you send us the link!

If I'm honest, I'm not convinced my snare technique is anywhere near up to it.

I am to rudiments what Giant Haystacks was to ballet!

I have an aversion to competitions related to music.

Music is subjective.

I prefer to not participate in the 'sport-if-ication' of the best of what mankind does -everything from physical appearance to education. I think to much of that has already slipped by at the behest of those who view the participating populace as cattle to be graded before the slaughter(sic. employment).

...not that I think you are doing that Andy...just my personal take on where our society is going and how I can contribute...in this case...by not contributing.

...and no...everyone should NOT get a trophy! lol...

If I'm honest, I'm not convinced my snare technique is anywhere near up to it.

I am to rudiments what Giant Haystacks was to ballet!
But I loved giant Haystacks!!!!!

I prefer to not participate in the 'sport-if-ication' of the best of what mankind does.
Otto, this competition is the anti of your classification. Ok, it's still a competition because there's eventually a winner, but by removing chops/technique/rudiments (whatever you want to call it), & concentrating on ideas & expression, we've all but removed the "sport -if - ication" element. By not participating, you're sending the wrong message, or no message at all. Please reconsider :)

Look for a submission from me. I was hesitant to post this since now I will feel bad if I don't come up with something - which is perfect motivation for me :) I am a bit daunted by my competition (I will be in the Beginner category) but the fun will be in the experience I imagine....

MM

Last edited:
I sat down the day I read it and had some ideas,but then...... enter crazy work schedule and I forgot all about it.

I have an aversion to competitions related to music.

Music is subjective.

I prefer to not participate in the 'sport-if-ication' of the best of what mankind does -everything from physical appearance to education. I think to much of that has already slipped by at the behest of those who view the participating populace as cattle to be graded before the slaughter(sic. employment).

...not that I think you are doing that Andy...just my personal take on where our society is going and how I can contribute...in this case...by not contributing.

...and no...everyone should NOT get a trophy! lol...

I agree with you !

That is why I don’t like drumming contests. Nor do I care for drumming videos where the drummer is playing with no other music.

When I see/hear a drummer in a video no matter how good the drummer sounds playing alone; I always wonder how good the drummer actually is.
Playing along and blending in with a band is where the art of drumming actually presents itself.

Having said that, I think this In-Tense competition is a little different than a competition. Guru is simply asking the musical question, “how many different sounds can you get out of a snare drum?”

And they will be judging based on what makes them smile the most.
And in the end it is a random drawing.

Basically what I meant was that all of the videos could be shown, but not until the contest has closed for entries. I would like to see them all but don't think showing them early is a good idea. If the contest closes June 1st, make them available June 2, and then the judges can do their thing without others worrying about being copied.

I was intrigued by the contest, and might still enter, but a few things have slowed me down:

1. I had concerns similar to Gruntersdad. Although with the rule change, I suppose I'm okay with it now.

2. It says playing with a kit is okay, but no backing tracks and no processing of any kind. What about an e-kit? But then I could trigger samples? What about a kit that includes a piano? I'm a little confused as to what is 'allowed' and I wonder if I might disqualify something myself that somebody else uses successfully. Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but I think the rules are very open to interpretation on this one.

3. No runner-up prizes? Even a T-shirt? Seems like someone could produce the most amazing snare drum video in the history of the world and still have an 80% chance of getting nothing.

I was intrigued by the contest, and might still enter, but a few things have slowed me down:

1. I had concerns similar to Gruntersdad. Although with the rule change, I suppose I'm okay with it now.

2. It says playing with a kit is okay, but no backing tracks and no processing of any kind. What about an e-kit? But then I could trigger samples? What about a kit that includes a piano? I'm a little confused as to what is 'allowed' and I wonder if I might disqualify something myself that somebody else uses successfully. Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but I think the rules are very open to interpretation on this one.

3. No runner-up prizes? Even a T-shirt? Seems like someone could produce the most amazing snare drum video in the history of the world and still have an 80% chance of getting nothing.

I'll try while waiting for a reply from Andy.

#2. I'm fairly certain that this is mainly about an acoustic snare drum, plain and simple. Anything else may detract. It's not what you play, it's the different sounds you can coax out of it. So I'd say forget about the piano and the e kit, or a drum set. It's not about sampling for sure. Or piano. It's only supposed to be about 60 seconds in length.

#3. Andy and Dean are offering up a pretty rare, very exclusive snare drum. A totally optional and crazy generous thing to do. These drums go for like $1700.00 USD or thereabouts. Sorry but the request that he do more slightly offends me.

So just as simple as can be is what they are looking for. No need to complicate things.

Look for a submission from me.
i certainly will :)

I sat down the day I read it and had some ideas,but then...... enter crazy work schedule and I forgot all about it.
Well, now you've been reminded ;) ;) ;) Looking forward to your submission.

I think this In-Tense competition is a little different than a competition. Guru is simply asking the musical question, “how many different sounds can you get out of a snare drum?”

And they will be judging based on what makes them smile the most.
And in the end it is a random drawing.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell :)

Basically what I meant was that all of the videos could be shown, but not until the contest has closed for entries. I would like to see them all but don't think showing them early is a good idea. If the contest closes June 1st, make them available June 2, and then the judges can do their thing without others worrying about being copied.
I got you Grunt, but I'm leaving the publication decision up to the entrants except the winning submission. Thanks for your input though - it's appreciated.

#2. I'm fairly certain that this is mainly about an acoustic snare drum, plain and simple. Anything else may detract. It's not what you play, it's the different sounds you can coax out of it. So I'd say forget about the piano and the e kit, or a drum set. It's not about sampling for sure. Or piano. It's only supposed to be about 60 seconds in length.
This is essentially it, although snare in a kit context is just fine, so long as the core focus is the variety of sounds/expression on the snare. It's a competition to win a highly expressive acoustic drum. In that context, E drum generated sounds aren't appropriate.

Unfortunately, we don't have any T-shirts, although I am thinking of something appropriate for the final 5 entries chosen for the random draw. In your scenario, the entrant producing "the most amazing snare drum video in the history of the world" would stand a 20% chance of winning. I offer that those odds are way better than any competition out there.

To all: I have no issue with asking for a bit of effort from entrants. Yes, we could have designed this as a stupid question/statement kinda deal, & it would no doubt attract a much wider pool of entries, but part of me thinks why the hell should we. We're a tiny company run on private finances. When the big boys give away a $1,000 snare drum, the actual cost to them is more like the production cost ($200 - $300), & that can be written off against profits. If we give away a $1,000 snare drum, it's cost us over $800 to make it. Moreover, it's taken 20 hours of highly skilled labour to craft it, & proportionally to our turnover, it's a big deal. Bottom line, if you want to win our hard earned effort, the least you can do is put a small amount of effort in yourself. like all things in life, if it's easily won, it's probably not worth winning. I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

To all: I have no issue with asking for a bit of effort from entrants...

I completely agree. If you don't want to take the trouble, then fine but you won't win of course.
And I appreciate this price from Guru Drums even more because it is a small company building high quality products and it costs them much more time and money (especially relative to their turnover) than a big brand name.

Sorry, but I don't get when people can win something or get a free gift, they start complaining.
There is a big Dutch music store which has weekly offers or free gifts. People can post feedback online, some bizarre messages you can read there. Like a free gift over € 50: someone orders for € 201 so demands 4 free gifts. Or the offer starts on Monday and someone ordered on Sunday so it's a crap company because they ordered too soon. Or they give a free shopper bag and people complain it's a crappy gift and deserve a better one.

Sorry for the small rant, I just don't get it.

OK, Andy, I might reconsider participating - should I come up with something worth making public ;-)

I had a look at the posts the other day...I must say prior to that I was trying to think what I could put together that had variety and continuity.

THEN.......

when I looked at the posts and the inventiveness of people like hollywood jim who thought completely out of the box....and for instance held together their thread by the use of lateral thinking.

I wont spoil things, people should go to the guru facebook sire and have a look.

As a teaser their is an applicant that uses a snare as a snare, and another snare as a kick drum

Since then I have been considering how I can broaden out my ideas..... I might have to consult my young neices who have yet to have their brains stultified with linear, spock like thinking (as the "education system does so well)...get a "non drummers" viewpoint of a snare and what it does.........

I think the prize is more than worth the effort to enter, especially with such low odds of winning, or maybe the prize isn't that interesting - please tell me.

Apparently I've offended some people by answering a question that was asked. I'm kind of confused by that, as I thought my reasoning was pretty obvious and simple, but I may have been wrong: I don't think I have any chance of winning anything in this contest. If I thought my chances were better (e.g. if there were more prizes, even very small ones), I would probably put some effort into it. I've come in 2nd place in (not music related) winner-take-all tournaments, and it kind of sucks.
I think the contest idea is fantastic, rewarding people for actual talent. I think the prize being offered is EXTREMELY generous. However, the fact that it is one monolithic prize to one winner is something that doesn't appeal to me. If the value of 1st prize was 1/10 of a guru drum, but there were several runner-up prizes, I would be much more interested.
If you're offended by my opinion (which was asked for), well...

Good luck to you all.

Back