Double Bass pedals

sheila

Hi everyone, im Sheila, new here. My son plays the drums in his band (Halfway To Nothing ), and im looking to buy him some new Double Bass pedals. He has been using pearl ones that i got second hand at a reasonable price, but he needs new ones.
I'm not sure which ones to get. He likes Mapex and Pearl, but can anyone recommend some? any help or advice would be appreciated, Thank You.

Hi thats a shame i have had a bid on ebay for my mapex p500tw double pedal and its in vary good condistion i find tama pedals really great to play and work with i have a Tama Iron cobra junior double kick pedal (hp300.) comeing up for sale soon its in great condiston too just a few adj marks on the rod wear the bar adjs for lenth other than this its perfect im looking for £100 plus the postage!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280949423338?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1588.l2649

Last edited:
I'd second the Tama recommendation. I was actually very surprised at smoothness and speed of the Tama Iron Cobra double pedals (not the juniors haven't tried those but sure they are similiar). I picked up a pair second hand with a drumset purchase and loved them. They are a tad expensive but if you can find them second hand at half price they are worth the investment.

I'd second the Tama recommendation. I was actually very surprised at smoothness and speed of the Tama Iron Cobra double pedals (not the juniors haven't tried those but sure they are similiar). I picked up a pair second hand with a drumset purchase and loved them. They are a tad expensive but if you can find them second hand at half price they are worth the investment.

thanks for that Tama Iron Cobra double pedal is the same as the juniors mate they just have iron cobra on the pedal not tama logo thats all

Id also recommend the Tama Iron cobras, thats what I use which was also a birthday present from my mother. You could also try asking him as a pedal choice is a personal thing but that would spoil the surprise.

The Iron cobra jr.s are a good choice too, there much cheaper but of course have to sacrifice some things, for example there are single chain meaning they are slightly more prone to swaying side to side, but really its never noticeable when playing. they also have less customizing features on them and a not as solidly built, that being said they'll easily last years.

Other good pedals include, the mapex falcon, or the raptor. The falcon is mapex's iron cobra with the option to add direct drive insted of chain drive, this is great for metal and rock as it gives a much more smoother action at higher speeds and adds some power as well. The Raptors are pretty much the same but are cheaper and direct drive only,

Theres also the Pearl Demon Drive pedal and Pearl Eliminators, and if you're feeling expensive Axis longboards or Trick domonators are some great professional line pedals too.

Ive listed quite expensive pedals there though so if there are out of your price range just say and ill try to help with some cheaper pedals

Edit: I completely forgot about the pedal section of the site, but Gruntersdad's got it covered, Id also sugest looking there too

Hi Sheila,

Pedal recommendations are a pretty open ended question, as can be seen by vast number of threads and seemingly infinite number of user recommendations in the pedals sub-forum here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
You'll also notice that the most common advice is to "get your feet on 'em" and get a feel for individual preferance. They are a piece of equipment that if you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers as to what they prefer and why. The very best advice (and the one that the majority of experienced players will give you) is to try out as many as he can.

Pedals are much like sticks....or even shoes, in that the way they feel is truely the best way to judge them. The major hardware manufacturers all offer quality products at various price points and the truth is that most of them are comparable as far as functionality is concerned.....most of them have similar levels of adjustability and durability. In the end it always comes down to the way they feel under foot. I'd advise your son to hit some drum stores and play as many as he can in order to give him the best indication of which pedal "feels" best to him.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Wow, so much choice. I did n't see the page dedicated to the pedals....guess i should look properly.

I will have a look at some of the suggestions you all have given me, and will also take Pocket-full-of-gold's advice and take him to some drum shops to try them out, he'll love that lol

Thanks all for the help, :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. Wow, so much choice. I did n't see the page dedicated to the pedals....guess i should look properly.

I will have a look at some of the suggestions you all have given me, and will also take Pocket-full-of-gold's advice and take him to some drum shops to try them out, he'll love that lol

Thanks all for the help, :)

That's exactly what you should be doing. Glad to hear it. I'm sure he'll love the day out.

Hi Sheila,

Pedal recommendations are a pretty open ended question, as can be seen by vast number of threads and seemingly infinite number of user recommendations in the pedals sub-forum here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
You'll also notice that the most common advice is to "get your feet on 'em" and get a feel for individual preferance. They are a piece of equipment that if you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers as to what they prefer and why. The very best advice (and the one that the majority of experienced players will give you) is to try out as many as he can.

Pedals are much like sticks....or even shoes, in that the way they feel is truely the best way to judge them. The major hardware manufacturers all offer quality products at various price points and the truth is that most of them are comparable as far as functionality is concerned.....most of them have similar levels of adjustability and durability. In the end it always comes down to the way they feel under foot. I'd advise your son to hit some drum stores and play as many as he can in order to give him the best indication of which pedal "feels" best to him.

^ This.Pedals are a very personal piece of gear,and they all feel just a little different from one another.I use several different brands and models,but for a double pedal I have a Tama Iron Cobra.

There are also differences between direst drive,strap drive and chain drive pedals.Budget also plays a large role in selection.Some pedals cost more that a whole drum kit.Take your time,and shop around.Good luck.

Steve B

Back