Is there a rocksmith equivalent to e-drums?

Magix

So I heard about the PC game called Rocksmith, that basically allows you to plug in a random electric guitar and play that in a game environment to help you learn to play guitar.

I'm wondering if there is any equivalent of that which I could use on e-drums. I don't have any Guitar Hero or Rockband equipment, so that's out of the question. No consoles either, just PC. Currently I'm using a Yamaha DTX400k kit that's plugged in through the MIDI cable and I just play it using Ableton Live.

Last edited:
To answer just the question, Yes. Rock Band or Guitar Hero in a roundabout way.

Since you say it's not an option then the answer is No.
Even using Rocksmith requires hardware and software. Any game would.
I have all 3 and use them only sometimes. They are really quite fun!
RB and GH are no longer made so amazon and craigs list are full of deals should you decide they are an option. There is also lots of support by users on the web.
It would be great if Rocksmith could include drums but I just don't see it happening.
I guess software companies look at drummers as a limited niche population as opposed to guitar players!
We need to become prima donnas to get more recognition! LOL.

Well, just from a programming perspective, reading the MIDI input should be enough to build a game around. We are already using programs that do that anyway, just not in a guitar hero type game setting. So I don't see how extra hardware would be necessary. With my limited Java/C# knowledge, I was actually looking into creating some really basic rhythm game that takes e-drum input, but unfortunately I lack the knowledge about audio/MIDI to really pull it off. I'm sure somebody more experienced could put something together =P

Yes, of course. But, would anybody buy it?
What basic rhythm would you want to play over and over?
Exactly, none. Then you get into who owns the rhythm or song. Then satisfy enough people with enough content. Not to mention keeping the format interesting. What happens when you follow the midi notes wrong? or right for that matter.
It's a little harder than it sounds.

Yes, of course. But, would anybody buy it?
What basic rhythm would you want to play over and over?
Exactly, none. Then you get into who owns the rhythm or song. Then satisfy enough people with enough content. Not to mention keeping the format interesting. What happens when you follow the midi notes wrong? or right for that matter.
It's a little harder than it sounds.

Well, it would be the same format as stuff like Guitar Hero. You know, x amount of lanes, the little circles come down, representing each drum piece, and you have to hit at the right time. Points and stuff for missing/hitting.

The main problem would indeed be the fact that there wouldn't be any songs available for it. Which makes me wonder if it would be possible to decode and use some existing format (like the ones GH/RB uses)

And of course nobody would buy it, that's why it would have to be freeware =P

sorry for responding to an older thread, but if somebody created an iOS app that you could use with your vdrums/edrums connected via midi to it that let you train on the Groove Essentials patterns I am sure quite some people would go for it (me included)

Back