Is the Electro-Voice PL DK5 Drum Mic Pack a set of good mic's?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I realize this Mic Pack is already mentioned in regards to a special being run @ MF.
However, I wanted to specifically ask your opinion on its value. I made some earlier comments, some of which are here also.

-Is it a good quality set of mic's? (to an extent, I suppose so - because of the $459 to $129 price). I dunno, are they just overstocked or something?

-Will it handle the task of recording my drum covers, as I will not use them for live performances. My Bass Drum is reso head does not have the large 4in hole in the front, but it as about 8 or so small ports around the edge (stock DW reso head).
I can only use 4 mic's right now, because that's all my mixer can accept.

Here is the link to the MF sale:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-pl-dk5-drum-mic-pack?src=3TP1K8A

and one review as well:
http://www.epinions.com/review/Electrovoice_PLDK5_Electrovoice_PL_DK5_5_Piece_Drum_microphone_Set_With_Gig_Bag/content_504375447172

Any feedback would be appreciated, as always.

If you're going to be limited by 4 inputs, you'd want 1-2 overhead mics, a kick mic, and maybe a snare mic. So those EV packs with a bunch of tom mics and no overheads are probably not what you want.

That said, I've read good opinions of the EV mics and picked up the set you're talking about, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

If you're going to be limited by 4 inputs, you'd want 1-2 overhead mics, a kick mic, and maybe a snare mic. So those EV packs with a bunch of tom mics and no overheads are probably not what you want.

That said, I've read good opinions of the EV mics and picked up the set you're talking about, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

I've got 2 overhead mic's already that I can use. Just can't use them all though if I feed into my mixer since it only has 4 mic inputs. I'd have to pick up a mixer with at least 6 inputs

Good mic set here though?

I have not used these mics, but they look pretty decent and EV has a good reputation overall.

As far as I can tell, this set is EV trying to clone other mics (ie the tom mics look like Sennheiser e604s and the bass mic looks like an Audix D6). They probably have a very similar sound to those mics.

I say pick them up if you need mics, you're not going to make money off of them (aka investment), but you can use them a while, get good use, sell and upgrade down the road and not break the bank doing so.

I have not used these mics, but they look pretty decent and EV has a good reputation overall.

As far as I can tell, this set is EV trying to clone other mics (ie the tom mics look like Sennheiser e604s and the bass mic looks like an Audix D6). They probably have a very similar sound to those mics.

I say pick them up if you need mics, you're not going to make money off of them (aka investment), but you can use them a while, get good use, sell and upgrade down the road and not break the bank doing so.

Yeah, I agree that it is a smart buy and won't drain you financially even if you upgrade later.

Back