Which Zen?

What problems do the zens have ? Older zens?

i had 2 zens and they both stopped working. To be fair i think my mum broke one of them when she turned off the computer in the middle of a data transfer when i was getting files off it to put on this new computer. But the warranty had run out by then so that was it no more free new players. I was also trying to get files of the old computer onto here when i discovered that external hard drive wasn't working. I got that in 2006 so maybe the new models are better, i remember the old ipods used to be bitches for cracked screens but i think apple sorted that.

What problems do the zens have ? Older zens?

Well after a few years of my Ipod, I switched to a Zen Sleek, '06 I think. It worked good but when I bought it the guy at B.B. said it would work with I-Tunes...which it didnt and everything me and my wife had on I tunes had to be transfered to a different format. I m a computer idiot so we had to have a friend do it. No big deal, but after about 8-9 months, it started freezing up constantly. I d reset it but it would only play for about 20 minutes before freezing again. My wife lost her charger adaptor and trying to find a replacement took so long, she gave up and now it sits in a drawer...

I then got a Zen Vision 30gb player '08. It sounded great but the accessories were not available in the US. I wanted the adaptor for my TV and a car dock, for when I drove a truck...I never found the TV cable and the car dock took about 3 months to receive. And was WAY overpriced when compared to Ipod acces. All this time I had no computer so I couldnt charge it with a wall plug, my wife took my computer and that was the only way to charge it. Then all of the sudden the battery started crappin out. It would last for about 5-6 hours. If I went on a 20 hour drive, I was screwed!

Then, a few months ago, I dropped it from about 2 feet onto one of my Ahead sticks(lucky, huh?) and the lcd display cracked. I took out a 4 year warrantee on it and Best Buy said send it to Creative. So after about 2 months, they sent it back saying they would not fix it and there was nothing I could do. So I played it through my computer a few times and it connects only about 25% of the time. Nothing but problems and aggravation from Creative... Yeah they sound good, but Apple was just so much easier to deal with.. huh, my fingers are tired now. : P

I have the Zen Vison: M. I wish had just gotten an ipod video instead though. The Vision: M is alright, but its acting kind of crappy after about 3 years now.

How about Archos? They have some nice looking players (that got good reviews in Wired magazine, where I heard about them), but their latest generation isn't all released yet. There's the 5s and 7s, or more basic 405s, 605s, etc. Something to check out - they seem legit, but I bet the price is a bit high due to the limited distribution (compared to Apple).

How about Archos? They have some nice looking players (that got good reviews in Wired magazine, where I heard about them), but their latest generation isn't all released yet. There's the 5s and 7s, or more basic 405s, 605s, etc. Something to check out - they seem legit, but I bet the price is a bit high due to the limited distribution (compared to Apple).

There are a bunch of people here with Archos players. As movie players, these things have a generous screen size and an output for tv. They are great!

I got the zen-xfi first, and the x-fi sounds better, but the archos is better everywhere else.

There are a bunch of people here with Archos players. As movie players, these things have a generous screen size and an output for tv. They are great!

I got the zen-xfi first, and the x-fi sounds better, but the archos is better everywhere else.

I agree. I had the Archos Gmini a few years back.

Archos...Sounds too much like Argos for my liking. :p

I agree. I had the Archos Gmini a few years back.

And on top of all that, there's no necessary software - drag and drop! Forget iTunes. Throw in the Wi-Fi and PDF readability and it sounds like I know what to spring for when my iPod Classic dies. What kind of TV output do they have? I couldn't find anything about it on their site, except for DVR stuff.

Edit: And it runs on Linux!

Last edited:
Back